Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Model worker or backstabber that needs to be strangled and stuffed in the crawlspace?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Johnny, May 9, 2005.

1. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Model worker or backstabber that needs to be strangled and stuffed in the crawlspace?

Ok so at my job we have one guy thats a really good painter. He does everything right down to the letter and fast. Even to the point where he tries to make the rest of us stop using creative methods for solving small problems even if he has no authority to tell anyone at all what to do. Lets call him.....Snitch

So this guy Snitch. If he adds and extra 20 min to the 30 min break then he will take 20 min off his "Hours" for the day. One day being 8 hours he will write 7.40 instead.

Our real work hours:
    start at 07:00
    Breakfast at 09:00-09:30
    lunch at 13:00-13:30
    Work stops at 16:00 (15:30 because the construction site closes at 16:00 so workers need to be out of there by then)

The way we do it usualy.
    meet up at 07.00 drink coffe and be lazy til 07:45
    at 8:45 we go buy food for breakfast
    at 9:45 we go out and work
    11:00 coffe break til 11:45.
    Lunch at 13:00-13:45
    Go home at 15:00

Now the rest of us if we decide to leave an hour and a half early we still write 8 hours. We like to go home at 2 PM on fridays.

We are probably the text book example of lazy construction workers

But despite that we are still 8 days ahead of the working schedule making our boss commend us and he even decided to pay us an extra $5 an hour (yeah I know not much at $50 an hour but still) and the way we see it as long as we are geting the work done then let things be as they are because everyone is happy.

Now this guy Snitch decided he didnt like our work hours and so he decided to start writing up our work hours and sending them to the boss with a note that we arent following our work hours.

he cant just mind his own business and work on like the rest of us. between us we couldnt care less how much the other guy works and how much he writes dowm that he works because we get paid per hour and not for the work done (thats another system used in certain places)

He has done this 3 times now and to add to that he is complaining about nobody wanting to work with him anymore and to save him from retrobution from us, a lower level boss just told us that it was one of the construction bosses in charge of the area that had called him and said we didnt follow our hours but really. If the construction boss wasnt happy with our hours he would walk in to the barrack on one of our breaks and tell us to get things straight and stop wasting time and he certainly wouldnt send an anonymous call to our boss and after asking the snitch if it was really him he happily replied "yeah".

So what do you think of this situation?

Is it ok to be lazy if you are following the time schedule or should we allways work exactly 8 hours and never charge for hours we didnt work?

Personaly I bellive the schedule is what matters.

x task should be accomplished by x date and for this the customer pays the company a sum and the boss has estimated it will take us 10 days and also charged the customer for 10 days of us working then if we do it in 8 days working less hours then did we not earn 10 days work of payment?

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Tough call. I've always been of the mind that so long as you get your work done on time and it's quality work, I could care less how you do it or even where (and in the case of research or written work, write it at the bar up the street for all I care, just get it to me on time and be available if I have questions).

However, I've never really dealt with hourly wages, it's always been salaried or stipended, so accounting for hours does get sticky. I've never known anyone who works hourly to actually track their hours accurately, though.

3. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

From what I've heard from friends this is normal on building sites (the working hours stuff not the snitch).

I'd agrre and say if the works done then who cares?

I work a different hour pattern to others here at work so now I'm the only one here. I'm supposed to be here for another 30 mins but I'll be gone in 10, and that's normal. Also often have 10 mins extra lunch break when I think no-one will notice.

I was MUCH worse a few months ago until my boss clamped down on me. I would regularly be 20 mins late in the mornings...

KnightFall

4. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

that guy deserves a round of good olding spanking

5. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

yeah, nothing worse than a guy who stops people from cheating people out of money

Garbad

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Ok lets review.

Big boss at the company estimates for a job:

This job will cost $5000 in tools and materials.
    $15.000 in worker hours
    So he charges $25.000 so he makes $5000 too.

We do the work so fast it would only costs the boss $9.000 in work hours but we slack instead so it costs him $12.000 in work hours.

Exactly who are we screwing out of money?

If snitch got his way it would cost $9000 in work hours instead of the estimated $15.000 and we wouldnt get anything extra for it anyway.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Or, worse, you'd not work as efficiently as you do now, knowing that you're going to be stuck there the full day to get paid what you normally do, so rather than busting your hump all day to get the job done in 9 days instead of 15, you drag ass all day long and take 15 days to the minute.

8. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I frickin hate it when construction projects seem to last for ever and you never see anyone working. What's the deal!? There are cranes and scaffolding and half built buildings all over my campus, ugly. Caltrans cones off freeways and sits around eating lunch, inefficient, inconvinient.

Ever try working ahead of schedule? It's not like 8 hours a day with a day off every week is even all that grueling. You get home before dinner, you've got hours to yourself after that...What do you want? Life on a silver platter? Maybe if more people got their crap done in a timely manner, the people who work 12 hours a day with no days off could catch a break now and then.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Live with it. Us construction workers has this weak office worker generation by the throat and we call the shots.

Now go away before we accidently drop bricks all over your car.

If everyone starts working ahead of schedule then the prices will just change and get lower.

if we do a 50 hour project in 40 hours and everyone srart doing that then it will become a 40 hour project. That has already happened several times over and over and it doesnt really benefit anyone that matters (just the customer)

That makes no sense. If you have to work 12 hours a day and have no time on then you should have learned to do something more sought after and your boss wil still make you work as much as he knows he can and pas you as little as he knows he can get away with.

10. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Johnny,

Let me get this straight, you swindle your employer by working much less than what you're getting paid for. You admonish the only honest man on the job. :eek:

"Live with it. Us construction workers has this weak office worker generation by the throat and we call the shots.

Now go away before we accidently drop bricks all over your car."

So, you're a self-important bully to boot? :rolleyes:

11. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Methinks he was referring to Moosashi's application of aesthetics to work ethics.

Imo, that snitch boy there sure does need some "explaining".

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

We would be Swindling him out of money if we where behind schedule and then slacked but when we are behind schedule we skip breaks instead.

Oh we dont mind if he likes to work twice as much as he is geting paid for while we work 30% more than we get paid for but we do mind when he keeps telling the boss exactly how many extra minutes we took lunch break on x date.

You people seem to have a hard time understanding the trade business.

If we follow the schedule to the day the employer makes regular profit. If we are ahead of schedule he makes even more money than he planed. If we work even more ahead of schedule he makes even more money (note that we dont actualy make more money but the boss did just buy a new boat and he now makes 2 trips to Greece a year.

13. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Stupid Firefox gestures extension. Just lost my post.

In a nutshell--If I were manager, I'd have a chat with Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes. He's pissing off the team, regardless of whether or not he's right, and that leads to tension on the job. Tension means there's something distracting from good and efficient work, and can lead to other problems such as fighting, pranks, etc.

14. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Pretty much. But if it is normal for the profession who cares I guess.

15. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

At the end of the day being happy with the rest of the team's work is your bosses job, not your co-workers. If the boss is happy it simply isn't any of his business and he should be subjected to severe noogies and atomic wedgies at regular intervals.

His choice to stick to the regular letter of the law is exactly that, his choice, and since he isn't sufferring any ill effects from the rest of your behaviour he needs to keep his mouth shut. Were you, as a team, taking crap he would be right to speak up, to do so unsolicited is just plain juvenile.

That said, the entire effort is a sad state of affairs and can not be justified in the slightest. You get away with it, which is cool and all, but trying to say this is right somehow holds about as much water as a wicker basket. It isn't right, and you all know it isn't right. You don't do it because you think its fair, you do it because you get away with it. I might do the same, and it is irrelevant to snitch's behaviour, but please don't try to justify it.

Dutch

16. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Soap + towel + full metal jacket.

17. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

As an even better alternative, make Snitch the timekeeper.

Johnny, weren't you one of the people sneering at downloaders earlier? If so, methinks you have some unresolved moral issues. "It is okay to commit fraud on our timesheet because the big boss is making more money than we are." How much overtime are you bilking the project for?

18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

No I dont think I ever said anything against downloaders. I leave that to the old geezards at CD companies. I download all the music and movies I want and just for extra spite I download for the people I know without internet.

19. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Well, this is the way I look at it. If you are getting the work done in less time, that means that your time per hour is more valuable and you should be getting your boss to pay you more money per hour or he agrees to let you off early. It doesn't mean you are automatically granted shorter hours without his approving of it. It would probably irk me if I were being honest and reporting my time accurately and putting in full work days and others were quitting early and still wanting the same full days pay. If you are working for a salary, it would be a different story.

20. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

and this is bad because?

Johnny, this is what we call progress. You may not be stealing from your boss, but you ARE stealing from your customers. Now, I know you don't care anymore than most MP3 downloaders care about the musicians, but you need to understand that it's still wrong.

I don't know about your country, but in america we can get into some serious trouble for forging time sheets. I often need to work more than the allotted 40 hours per week, and I am forced to "clock out" to finish my work because overtime is not allowed in my company. you leave when your shift is up or you work for free. or if it's just a little over you have a shorter day later in the week...but since I'll likely not leave until everything is done, I usually end up working for free. (it's not really for free, it's to fulfill my goals and get a bigger raise when raise time comes along, but I'm not being compensated for that time. )

you attitude about work is terrible. this is the way you're adding value to society. your life's work is second only in importance to your family.

Knowing what you've just told me I'd be hesitant to hire you--or your firm for any work that I needed doing.