Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mobs do more damage than bosses?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Pseudostack, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Pseudostack

Pseudostack IncGamers Member

Mobs do more damage than bosses?

Hi, I'm a lvl 83 paladin. I can solo any boss besides the uber bosses without even having to use a potion. I soloed act 5 baal and his minions but I can't even do the anya quest because a group of 5-7 mobs can take out half my like in seconds. I have full 75% resist 12k defense and a 75% block rate. I can kill the monster in 1-2 hits with my hammers, but they do damage to me so fast that I can't really live long enough to do damage to them. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

2. Rofle

Rofle IncGamers Member

Re: Mobs do more damage than bosses?

Which monsters? Souls in that area can deal alot of damage but be pretty much negated by swapping a T-Gods on to absorb. Also the bone spear snake dudes can dish out some hurt.

Which ones in what situations? What attacks are they using?

3. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Probably also those hell witches with their red balls :<

Maybe get a HF merc to slow them down. It's not like CS or baal where you have a lot of time to lay down hammers before they get to you, so a good tactic is to run around between or in front of them, throwing 2 or 3 hammers each time you stop. If you can kill them in 1 or 2 shots that method should work very well.

If you get a good spawn you can probably cruise through there else you just have to take it a little slower.

4. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

if this is referring to those snakes, running around is the last thing u want to do. don´t run around only tele

5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I can't remember, but are those vipers sometimes near Anya of just Nihlathak?

6. breened

breened IncGamers Member

The poison vipers only appear in the Halls of Vaught, I believe.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can probably develop a strategy versus a certain type of the nasty monsters down there (T-God's versus gloams, no running versus succubi with red balls... or no running at all when monsters are near, mana potions versus ghosts etc.), but particular combos can be a problem, so start new games until you have one with monsters which you can deal with.

If you have Enigma, simply teleport to Anya and let the hammers circle until everything is dead. Warning, Frozenstein and his guys always have mana drain, so be ready to drink a mana potion... no rejuv because a mana potion will continue with replenishing after being drained.

8. Pseudostack

Pseudostack IncGamers Member

My problem Is the monsters with attacks that a higher defense doesn't seem to help. Most monsters have a 10-40% chance of hitting me, but for some things like the claw viper's charge, the gloams and several other monster I am hit almost 100% of the time and each hit from most of those things take out 1/5-1/8 of my life. So when there is a large group my health pretty much instantly drops to 0. I had a friend who was a barb, but he stopped playing diablo, so I'm realizing how hard it is without a tank/battle orders lol

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Melee attacks from gloams do not hit all the time, except you are running around to increase the effectiveness of your hammers. Switch off run mode, else blocking drops to 25% and the to-hit calculation is skipped entirely, i.e. 75% of all attacks would hit.

The charge of the vipers always hits AFAIK. That sounds fair, as your hammers always hit as well :azn:

You can also produce new games until you have a combo of monsters which you can deal with.

10. JsTc

JsTc IncGamers Member

there are also vipers that shoot bone spears on the way to anya, just googled a bit, claw viper can do over 300 physical damage, that means under amplified damage curse, one can take over 600dmg from a single hit, more than an average Lilith hit!

other dangerous mobs I usually watch out for are:

Greater Mummy packs in Act2 tombs: a pack of five Horadrim Ancient firing Unholy Bolts can do almost 500 magic damage, they shoot very rapidly too...

Succubus packs: Bloodstar, when under amplified damage curse one bloodstar can do over 170 physical damage, imagine playing a melee char and having 10 Succubus type monsters shooting at you (like in Matron's Den)...they run away from you too which can be a real pain