Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Moat trick for Sorc newbs.(Like me)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by JacksRevenge, Feb 10, 2004.

1. JacksRevenge

JacksRevenge IncGamers Member

Moat trick for Sorc newbs.(Like me)

Back when leeching was possible off Hell Mephy, I was a strict barb MF'er. It just seemed safer.

Now in the days of 1.10 and NO leech *cough* unfair *cough*, I too have turned to the mighty sorcy with her teleing, blizzard raining destruction for my Meph killing needs. I knew of the moat trick since way back, just never used it, and thought I had a pretty good idea of it.

WRONG!

Meph was handing me my *** like it was a green breast plate. Searching for a more detailed account of the fabled moat trick l came across very little. So it was back to trial and error and I'll be darned but I finally got it. Here is my recount.

Step 1. Locate the middle boss pack.
    They are always to the right or middle of the center strip. If they are to the right quickly tele along the edge of the right wall until you cross the moat, use should be fast enough that they won't chase you. If they are on the center strip, either try to get them to chase you back toward the entrance and then head around, or you can blizzard them to death from the right side.

Step 2. Get Meph's attention
    This is not hard. Creep up and throw a blizz at the stairs, he should be after you in no time. Lead him to the Left or Center and tele across to the left side staying as close to the moat as you can, this way you shouldn't wake up Mafer.

Step 3. Kill Meph
    Again, if properly positioned, not hard. You should be far enough down that you can just see the bottom of Meph in the upper left corner of your screen. Here is a screenie of proper placement http://www.geocities.com/hammdk/moattrick.JPG In this position Meph will not attack just wiggle back and forth in your blizzard. He will quickly die.

Results. Yippee
    After finally getting it figured out, I can kill Meph with little to no trouble. My sorc? you ask, how is she equipped? She is just about a sturdy as cracked quilted armor. Level 78 , maxed blizz, GS, 10+ ice bolt, 15 CM, roughly 450 MF, +1 to cold skills, Maxed cold resist (to protect against the ball), all other resists well into the negatives, 700 life/650 mana. Yet the last time I died I tele'd into a pack of fanat enchanted gorebellies (owww). In 2 hours of killing Meph I got my first stormshield ever, arreats, and some other decent uniques (grim scythe, spirit forge, Ik Maul) and of course Isenharts case.

Well that's it, I hope it helps some other sorcy converts out there.

JacksRevenge
    USwest softcore ladder
    FrostyMcGhee (all chars end in McGhee)

2. phillup

phillup Banned

vs meph you shouldnt need any resist at all if you're going to moat bug him. vs this particular boss you can sacrifice everything (everything!) for mf :) if you tele right,a the council in the middle might shoot hydra's at you, in which case you could(if you wish) have fire resist charms or something to stop them, for me i switch to wiz spike +75 reisistall and dual um moser's shield (6x resall), which works for me. all i do is use a pot while those thigns are hitting me while I'm killing meph, meph goes boom, tele to meph, pick up drops :)D) portal home restock and off to another meph run :]

3. krakdaddie

krakdaddie IncGamers Member

add another technique in your skillz....when u tele from the door locate the boss pack...and depending on the location determine your meph kill location...u mentioned getting the pack to move if they r on the center strip...instead trap him up top...save sum time for more meph runs...heres how u do it....

tele up the wall so u end up just past the colums past the moat...u want the left of your screen to barely catch meph at the top of the stairs...he will wiggle a lil bit then he 99% of the time goes up...thats when u tele to the medallion in the middle of the lvl..above the portal path...u wanna land about 6 o'clock on it...and blizz meph to death..

i couldnt get to your pic u link'd...but when u do stick him on the moat...i click on the chest lo0kin thing on the side near the center strip and that always gets me where i need to be(did that make sence?)...just a few more pointers for yall

krakdaddie

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

i knew there was a moat trick but i thought i'd give him a few test runs just after i lvled up to see if any trick was needed. (lvl 80 Blizz sorc).

Meph is SO easy i had done 7 runs before i realised it was on HELL not NM (only checked coz he dropped an arachnid).

Sod the moat trick, this simple method kills meph with zero risk to you. (you may have to ressurect merc once in 25-30 runs if u do miss too many ice blasts).

1. from the bottom of the steps in Durance 3 tp rapidly over the wall and then up the centre walkway. (no need to worry where the middle pack is, you will very quickly tp out of their range)
    2. tp over the portal and advance towards meph.
    3. just before you go over the curved line (where the path to the portal joins with the tiled floor) fire off a blizz at the edge of the screen.
    4. advance towards meph fireing ice blasts as you go.
    5. meph will walk towards you into your blizz and ice blasts.
    6. your merc will advance to tank meph - thus taking the force of mephs attacks
    7. when delay has passed blizz meph again. (by now merc should be toe to toe with him keeping him in place).
    8. In the delay fire a few ice ice blasts - usually he dies here.
    9. if your first salvo of ice blasts weren't very accurate then another blizz may be needed, but most of the time he is already dead due to the merc tanking him.

I really don't see how anyone needs a "trick" to kill him - the above method has never let me down. I am yet to die at meph's hands (or come anywhere near death) tho the merc dies once in a LONG while if i am bad at ice blasting meph. By pulling meph towards you you avoid the CI's usually behind meph by the money/chest. Takes about 10-20 seconds to kill meph from the base of the steps.

With 0 res all it's safe for me to take the hits from any hydra's that have been cast whilst my merc takes all the hits from meph.

To phillup - what on earth are you UM'ing mosers for? 2 pdiamonds would have done just the job for a faction of the cost :D If you really want to UM some sheild instead of pdiamonding it, at least UM a HoZ or some such sexy sheild :p

5. krakdaddie

your using a merc...thats y u dont use the 'trick'...yours is just another method for killin him...u use the same tactic most other characters would have to use since they generally dont have an attack w/ such a long range as the sorc or zon...but yours werks to0...makes ya happy ;)..keep killn

6. Mech-Sheep Arsenal

Mech-Sheep Arsenal IncGamers Member

There's another way to completely avoid the the council of Bremm:

If they are in the center strip, just teleport past them, and try to get Meph stuck in those "V" shape stair connections. The only disturbances might by the Blood Lords, but that might be because of my horrible teleporting.

7. Shanksie1337

as a pure cold sorc a merc is pretty much vital
    yes i could party etc, and/or tp past/ignore any CI's but i'd rather kill them :D (or have my merc kill them whilst i meteor using a swtich orb).

8. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Requires a high level and hi-end gear for your merc to tank ol' Mephi, and Blizzard is exceptionally fast. The moat trick is a help to untwinked players using a variety of attacks eager to get their hands on his riches.

9. tl998

tl998 Banned

Don't forget to constantly feed your merc potions. And if your merc drops to below 1/3 health, TP out and heal at ormus while replinshing your potions. Then come back and repeat. Simple. I usually only have to tp out once. If I'm lucky I don't have to do it at all.

10. MrPipes

MrPipes IncGamers Member

Mech-Sheep Arsenal does the exact same thing I do. On the staircases to the left and right of Mephisto (usually there are the two chest's right above them), there are somewhat opened up W's style shaped barriers. If you can get him in the corner of one of those, and do the same thing like the moat trick (get him just on the tip of your screen), he'll just wiggle back and forth like a stuck pig. This strategy is quite useful. Even if blood lords try to kill you, stand your ground and kill them, because Meph won't move an inch. You don't have to worry about the Council period!

11. Shanksie1337

hmmz - not sure about high-end, my merc is in "normal" merc gear - tals mask / "AMN" reapers / armour = either shaft, corpsemourn or duriels. But he lives mainly as u say - coz blizz = v fast meph death, so he is only "tanking" for maybe 5 seconds.

Still unsure as to exactly what ppl mean when they say "twinked" but i'd consider both my sorc and my merc to be wearing bog standard end game/mf gear - no uber runewords etc, just shako/skully/ocy etc.

As for high level merc, as blizz really doesnt need a merc to run meph (for the moaters out there) i figured i'd just pick a random merc when i hit act2 Hell, so i didn't have to p*ss about leveling him up. So he is also lvl 81 or so.

12. halflife78

halflife78 IncGamers Member

I kill the council before I do meph, they drop quite alot of good items themselves.

13. JacksRevenge

JacksRevenge IncGamers Member

I tried the merc thing for a while and I just can't keep him alive. He is only level 67 wearing Kelpie, Tals, Black Hades. With no leech he just can't stay alive. I could constantly throw potions at him, but with the moat trick available, why bother. On the subject of the council, I do like killing them when they are in the center just so there is no distraction. Plus they usually drop a ton of gold, Bremm dropped me 3 stacks totaling over 30k. Gamble, Gamble, Gamble.

14. krakdaddie

if its convenient i kill bremm also...but i wont go out of my way to do so...meph provides far better drops so i like to concentrate on faster runs..

krakdaddie

15. sulatra

sulatra IncGamers Member

can anyone post a picture of a sorc doing moat trick? Jacks screenshot isnt accessible. I've been tyring to do it from the description and I dont think I'm doing it right. I'm a lvl 75 metero/orb sorc and can barely dent meph without getting killed, I'm totally poor and untwinked. and I Jacks screenshot isn't accessible.

16. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Bah, cmon guys tele up there and take him mono e mono, much more fun. My sorc is a fo/cl sorc so she's probably not as powerful as a pure bliz against ol mephy, but me and my merc (sometimes have to give the merc a full rej before meph dies, but it's rare) do just fine. However if you can't take mephy on then use ol Jacks strategy to the fullest :).

17. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

you know i just stand there and tank him. meteors do HUGE damage to stationary targets, so i turn meph into one. just get max block and full resists with a little DR, and it's not so hard. i use a rhymed pavise with 2 +19 dex ravens, tals belt +20, waterwalks +15, maras + shako is +7 with 62% chance to block on the pavise. i only have about 275 mf, but considering i can kill him in less than 10 seconds, i can complete runs in about 40 seconds each.

18. Tilemacho

Tilemacho IncGamers Member

I have this question: How can you complete a run so fast? It takes me maybe 4-5 min to even find level 3 from the wp.....and that in nm.....it seems lvl2 is so huge now.....
    thx (btw this is my first post.... :) )