Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Moat Trick Explained

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Stiertje, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Moat Trick Explained

After many questions regrding the "Moat Trick" I have once decided to make some sort of mini guide with some nice pictures. Now it seems that that post has been deleted in the latest server crash/database self-delete thingy so I will now do it again. Hope it works for ya guys and gals.

Moat Trick Explained

The Moat Trick is actually quite simple. Trying to explain it in plain text is a little harder, so I made a series of screendumps to help me explain. Once you see it and try it out for a few times you'll get the hang od it, and you'll be picking Mephs pockets in record time with virtually no pain involved. I know some of you guys (or your mercs) can tank Meph, but this little mini-guide is for the less Ubergear characters who just can't tank him. Also there are things in it that are especially usefull to Pure Cold sorcs (Blizzard) regarding the Cold Immunes in Durance level 3.

First of all we need to be in Durance of Hate level 3. I'll leave the teleporting technique to you, since all it really is is teleporting as fast as you can through Durance level 2 to find the entrance to level 3. You'll need at least 63% of Faster Cast Rate to be "almost" safe. With less you'll find yourself dead in quite a few runs. This mini-guide starts when you enter Durance level 3.

When you enter Durance level 3, you immediately teleport to this point. It's the safest place, since Bremm Sparkfist is mostly parked somewhere else, but you need to be carefull though. From this location you can teleport slightly to the left untill you've got Bremms attention. You want him to follow you. You deffinately don't want him to be on the bridge because they'll be planting Hydra's around you when they're not properly taken care of.

When you've got Bremm's attention, try to lure him and his gang to the spot shown in this picture. The right side is generally the best way to go, because you don't want to rouse the gang of Dark Lords who generally reside in the left corner (they are Cold Immune). Jump over the bridge to park them, they'll not be a problem anymore, provided you don't rouse them again. You can of course kill them too, and Bremm and Gang can drop some nice items too, but the speedfreaks shoud leave them alone.

When you've succesfully parked Bremm and Gang on the right side, jump to the base of the platform before the portal to Hell, shown in this picture. This will make Meph charge in at your location. Don't let him go onto the platform, and if he does, try to get him slightly to the left of the platform. It'll speed things up, because you want Meph to be able to move a bit. Don't teleport further thatn this, because you're likely to rouse some Dark Lords in the back of the room. Static Meph when you have the chance, but there's really no big use for that (Blizz strooooong .... :worship: )

When you've got his attention, and Meph is slightly to the left of the platform, jump to this spot. Meph will try to follow you, but because he can't teleport or jump he's stuck at the little stairs. Just where we want him to be. Be sure not to rouse the last member of the Council because when he's Cold Immune it's the end of your Moat Trick story. Normally you won't see him (and he won't see you) but off course he just HAD to see me when I was making pictures.

At this point it's time to put on any MF gear you have that you weren't already wearing. At that time I was wearing a Vipermagi for the FCR, and I swapped it with Skullder's Ire. Just to show I made some pictures here and here to show you that we have absolutely no interference from any monsters that reside in Durance level 3. And when you're wearing the maximum of MF you have, proceed with killing Meph. Even with crappy gear Meph now is a walk in the park.

That's all there is folks.

Ah, just a sidenote, you see that I haven't used a merc at all. While I reccomend having a merc for general play, it is really not recommended to have one with you while applying the Moat Trick. Especially in the last stage the merc will try to get to Meph, get into the reach of his Orb Attack and be dead in no time. This is a waste of your good gold IMO, since your merc really doesn't help at all while doing Meph.

2. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

That's not the way I kill the man but let me go with your little guide and I'll give feedback sometime soon. Seems like a good solution to me, especially for low-lvl chars.

-Backdoor Bandit

3. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

That's not the way I kill the man but let me go with your little guide and I'll give feedback sometime soon. Seems like a good solution to me, especially for low-lvl chars.

-Backdoor Bandit

4. Stiertje

Yeah, I do him differently now too. I usually tank him now, since it just is somewhat faster to do so. And Meteorb just hasn't got that raw power Blizzard does. Lower level chars will fare better with Moat Trick though, since you don't have to dodge his attacks all the time.

5. happyface95

happyface95 IncGamers Member

There are 5 places of where you can do the moat trick on. Its VERY easy to do them.

6. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

I'd never figured this out before, thanks so much for this, it'll really help me kill that bastard quickly :d

7. Stiertje

This is just they best way for my Pure Blizzard sorc. I'm sure there are other places you can stand (Durance 3 is symmetrical) but the left side is usually crowded and that requires you to do some killing.

8. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

This one should be stickied. Lots of new players out there dont know how it works and its really great. Using a crappy nontwinked blizzsorc was how I got good gear in a week or 2 after I got back to ladder. As long as you can tele there your 100% safe for the kill.

9. xineiz

xineiz IncGamers Member

ooo thanks a lot... that was what i was needing... pictures =D

10. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Yes, that's very helpful and very much appreciated :)

11. happyface95

happyface95 IncGamers Member

My basic strategy was :

Port to left, if not clear, go to right, if not clear go on Meph's side.

run around him stuck him on the sides, moat him there.

I've never died using a meteor sorc. If there are monsters annoying me I'll just quit, takes about 20 seconds to find durance anyway.

12. Ed_MarloZon

Ed_MarloZon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the great guide I had heard about this trick but no one would ever explain it. This is exactley what I needed thanks again and keep up the great work !!!!

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

I thought the moat trick was when u lured him onto the....moat.

14. Stiertje

You won't be able to do that since Meph can't get onto the Moat (and you can't either)

15. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

What about getting to Durance 3 though???

If you have 63% fast cast can you really get there safely?? I play hardcore, and I don't want to take ANY chances. I've read the advice in other threads about how to teleport and I find it totally confusing.

If I just try to stick close to walls and try not to stop teleporting, will I really dissappear before the monsters can react? I mean, I will find it eventually, as long as I don't get killed.

Getting through durance 2 has me worried. I am actually thinking of running diablo instead of meph because it may be safer (no exploding dolls or deadly council).

16. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

63fcr is safe enough, the next valuable breakpoint is at 105 which is doable but makes you sacrifice gear. Just one question with this trick is orb out of range? :scratch:

17. xCraZyMaNx

xCraZyMaNx IncGamers Member

Its not out of range but it can wake up some of those lords and probly the council member too. I never used the moat trick i jus go straight up and kill the bum. :lol:

18. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

All i can say is that if you run into an extra fast might/fanat enchanted doll boss pack with some guy there to stun you... the fat lady sung, 250 FCR wouldnt save you there. You can run diablo sure, itll be hard going though.

19. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

Great the secrets out....LOL....

Very nice post, in fact this is the method I used to get my grear (to wear or to trade from items found) that now allow me to tank the old boy.

It works well and there's little risk. One hint here folks. I get asked often when trading with filks, how can I do Hell Meph runs with a lvl 60 or 70 sorc with no great gear, without getting my backside smoked. This is it.......

Just watch out for the stygian doll....man they hurt.

Storm

20. Stiertje

Yes, I get there safely every time. Since I went Max Block and Big Life I haven't even been scratched very hard. I've never died on Meph with my current build. My Blizzardess wasn't so lucky, she got whacked a few times, but she didn't have much life and also no block.

But the 63% FCR keeps you safe most of the time. Only Fana enchanted Doll Bosspacks or something the like can hit you, but they don't hit that hard actually. They DO hurt when they die though.