Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MMO or Not: a Poll

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Dorfoumous, Apr 29, 2008.

?

MMO or Not?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2010.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    77.2%
  3. Yes if it is free

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

MMO or Not: a Poll

I hope this gets sticked.

This is a topic to vote on if Diablo III should be a MMO or not..

Now there is countless threads why or why not it should be an MMO, however, we don't have a poll yet, at least on the front page that asks the simple question.

Do you want Diablo III to be an MMO?

3 Options

Yes
    No
    Yes if its free.

I voted no...however I might like it if it was free..

Dorfoumous asked me to add the following to his posting, in reply to the questions about the definition of a MMO game.

Krischan

MMO or MMORPG or rather something like EQ or WoW A pay to play MMO. It would probably be first person or 3rd person with an ecomony ECT like you would find in WoW. However, You would have a monthly fee.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: MMO or Not: a Poll

It has to be a MMORPG. Not a raid one per se, but at least I want a secure environment with added content every 3 months or so.

3. MrCanon

MrCanon IncGamers Member

What's your definition of MMO for this thread ?

- P2P ?

- Third-person RPG like EQ and WoW ?

- Diablo 2 gameplay but with 100+ players on screen ?

I'd P2P for almost exactly like D2 (maybe 1-2 more acts) but for secure servers and holiday events.
    Does that make it an MMO ?

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

"MMO" is a vague term that can mean many things to different people, perhaps if you could give a definition for us to follow? Also, the title of the poll does not specify whether it is asking if it will be, or if people want it to be, and people may vote before reading your post.

I'm ambivalent to the issue anyway, and thus cannot vote.

5. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Voted for no. For me an MMO is similar to WoW or EQ, while a P2P game can be just like D2, only with secure servers, new content and updates etc. I wouldn't mind P2P but I don't want MMO.

6. minizx

minizx IncGamers Member

i voted no because i think by mmo you mean a wow or guild wars kind of game, i dont beleive that diablo would quite have the same feel if it wasnt a point and click style slash em up and i also wouldnt like to pay for updates etc i would prefer it if we had an expansion pack once every 6 months to a year but seeing as d2 has held my attention for this long (must be at least 5years) im sure that d3 would do the same if they applied the same type of gameplay with new chars skills monster etc

7. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

You should open another option . I dunnoe.

well simply because I dunnoe. From the various thread I can see the pros and cons of having both MMO and NormalMulti Play system. Well.. y not both. hmm?

8. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

MMO means all players that play the game in one huge world.

ain't much to discuss if you ask me.

9. Gashad

Gashad IncGamers Member

Voted a restounding no, I am a traditionalist hence I
    a) Love battlenet-don't change was isn't broken
    b) Find it ridiculous that one should have to pay monthly fees for computer games
    c) besides Sp can be pretty fun aswell

10. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

I'm stuck between both.

P2P means cleaner servers, more content, lots of expansions.

Raids means "Eww! But I want to play alone sometimes, and actually feel accomplished!"

So, make D3 a P2P -for online- and free single player, make it like it's older brothers, so you can log on and play for a few minutes, yet still feel like you've done something.

I'll pay for it to play online, but I'd like a backup Single player incase I loose internet. >.> Or can't pay.

11. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Consider this:

For those that have watched wow evolve into what it is today (I am one of them. I played wow for the first year-ish, then quit. My good friend still play's to this day. I was in that ridiculously long fry's electronics line where all the Blizzard employees were at the Wow release- and yes, so was my friend)

Rather then mention a lot of what has already been said, one of the biggest things that bothers me is that it has attracted a wide range of gamers, espcially the very young crowd - and as such, i've seen Blizzard go cash cow happy and produce an entire retail line of warcraft gear. I've only seen a portion, but what i've seen is enough. To list a few:

Warcraft Backpacks
    Warcraft pencils
    Warcraft Folders & Binders
    Warcraft Action figures
    Warcraft Stickers
    Warcraft Calendars

My conclusion: I think the America is as addicted to Warcraft as Korea is to Starcraft. I don't want Diablo to be the next in line. If i see a Blizzard produced Diablo sticker i think i may spontaneously combust. . .

12. ugd

ugd IncGamers Member

I'd gladly pay a monthly fee for Blizzard to put effort into keeping the servers clean, to continue updating the game with new content (it's been a long enough wait since D2LOD and we arent even there yet) and I'd even pay a little extra for there to be no "raiding". Not sure what that makes my vote tho. :)

13. HarbingerOfDeth

HarbingerOfDeth IncGamers Member

Well, as other people have said. what is mmo?
    if it would be P2P, 1st/3rd person camera, I wouldn't buy it. Because those are what make diablo "diablo"

14. Meimu

Meimu IncGamers Member

I think Blizzard has a great dynamic going on in the Diablo series that's pretty unique to itself. If they implemented a very similar raiding system that WoW has, it would severely detract from it, imho... MFing is such a huge part of D2, I think it would be wise for them to cater to their fans. I don't like the idea of there being only one server that my character can access, with ONE diablo, and ONE mephisto, and ONE baal that I can hunt items from. That everyone ELSE hunts items from.

However, we cannot ignore how hugely popular MMO's have become in recent years, and what they can provide. Guilds, communities, factions, much more immense and expansive worlds to immerse yourself in. I have to admit that I'm pretty much submitted to the fact that D3 will be an MMO, which has the potential to be extremely popular, while still living up to the expectations of all us D1 and D2 fans. When you try to picture Diablo 2 as an MMO, tons of people in each city, you walk outside the rogue encampment, seeing several new players battling fallens and zombies, making your way to the den of evil, passing friends along the way. Having a community to directly interact in that way, it's very exciting. But they cannot make another WoW (Diablo style!) and expect everyone to love it. Diablo is just way too different, and the things that make the series unique from anything else in the gaming world needs to be maintained.

Hopefully Blizzard recognizes this. =)

15. MrCanon

MrCanon IncGamers Member

You do know dungeons with major bosses in WoW are instanced, right?