Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MLD Rabies Druid

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Maccat, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Maccat

Maccat Diabloii.Net Member

MLD Rabies Druid

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for awhile now just too lazy to sign up. I've finally decided to get some feed back on my idea for making a MLD (Mid Level Dueler) Rabies Druid at CLVL 49. This is a basic outline of the equipment:

Equipment:

Shaftstop (5/5 Poison Facet)
    Jala's Mane (5/5 Poison Facet)
    Raven Frost
    Stone of Jordon
    +3 Shape Shifting Amulet
    Bloodfist
    String of Ears
    Gore Rider
    Whistans / Swordback Hold
    Plague Bearer (UM Rune / 5/5 Poison Facet)

Switch:

30/30 Facet Crystal Sword
    15/15 Facet Kite Shield

Charms:

10 Shape Shifting Charms 7% FRW / 12% FHR
    10* 20 Life Charms

Skills:

20 Rabies
    20 Poison Creeper
    1+ Lycanthropy
    1 Fury
    1 Oak
    1 Raven

There seems to be a lot of great minds going around this forum and I've love some critism and suggestions if possible. Thanks a lot for all of your time. It's much appreciated.

2. SneekySneeky

SneekySneeky Diabloii.Net Member

You might wana grab some trangs gloves. Not sure if you can use um but they really make a world of difference in rabies damage.

3. pedu

pedu Diabloii.Net Member

Reqlvl 45 so its good to go. Otherwise its built like i would have built it. Maybe get a faster weapon, and see which fits you more. Since some say the plague bearer is too slow.

4. Maccat

I feel so embarassed. I can't believe i forgot about Trang's Gloves. I knew I had the urge to post it for a reason. I realized plague bearer is a fairly slow weapon but I wasn't sure what else would suit me more? I was also considering using a two handed weapon for the range 5 but then I lose out on +5 rabies. Any comments on the idea of using open wounds at that level or should I scrap all forms of it and just go for massive amounts of poison damage and lowered poison resist?

5. Caninja

Caninja Diabloii.Net Member

I've always wanted to make this build but you are on the right track with skills and gear. I'm not the most knowledgable druid out there but I'll just make a few suggestions.

Shaftstop is nice vs melee (can pruby if life is real low) but it looks like you'll have low resists. Maybe have a vipermagi in stash socketed with 15resist all jewel and a Moser's shield socketed with 2 pdiamonds vs casters.

Trang's gloves is available at lvl49 and will boost your damage alot.

I'd prob shael the plague bearer since its horribly slow and this would help you land bites. If you find it still too slow to land bites, guess you could try shaeling a 6soc Waraxe for range 3 and faster bites.

Gores is nice but you might want to try Aldur's boots for extra frw and nice fire res.

Whistan's socket'd with eld or pdiamond is fine. Artisans gothic shield of deflection with 3x poison facets could prob work too.

If you really want to go all out damage, can try getting a 4soc armor with +life mod and slap 4 poison facets inside. With your switch, you can get -70es and prob 45-50k+ rabies! Not bad at all for lvl 49 hehe.

Also to piss people off you could do a nice "Bite and run" using Harmony bow (Vigor aura) on switch along with Mavina's belt (20frw) and Aldurs boots (40frw) along with whatever frw you have on your SS gcs or life scs. Sacrifices your extra poison damage on switch but you should still be able to hit maybe 30k rabies.

Thats all I have for now, everything else you wrote sounds good. I'm sure others will have more advice. Good luck with it, looks like a fun build.

6. Maccat

Thanks for you reply guys.

I agree about the part of having to use another set of items for casters, this was just a basic layout. I feel as if I'm going to need a lot of FRW. Time to decide if I really should drop all open wounds or not?

I was just getting onto your idea of using the 6 shael'd war axe but I was on the track of using a flail instead. They both require maximum amount of shaels so it's really just a moot point with them.

The harmony is good, but where would I put it? Possibly drop the plague bearer and wear the harmony instead.

I've read on here that -resists have been capped at -100, so with the armor and all of my facets i would be almost maxed out already. Anyone know if that - resist cap includes the rabies trick?

7. Maccat

Reading up on some more equipment ideas. Sanctuary for a resist shield and Gloom for a resist armor but I might stick with Viper Magi for the + Skill and the MDR.

If I ditch all sources of OW because it's just not going to be useful enough, I'll definitely use Aldur's Boots and the 5/5 Poison Facet Plague bearer. Think a Spirit shield + Plague Bearer (5/5 Facet) would be better for resists/skills than using a sanctuary?

8. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

You can have as much -resist as you can muster, there's no cap in that sense on your own gear. It's just that you can't lower an opponent's resist beyond -100%. That's the cap you're thinking of.

9. Maccat

Ahh, alright. Thanks for clarifying that for me. This little druid could get very interesting. Anyone want to stab at the numbers he can produce? I've done a little bit of math but nothing serious and I think he can come up with about 50k easy. Resists might be my hugest problem, especially if I'm going to be dueling in hell. No anni or torch to save my tail. We'll see how it works out when ladder finally resets.

10. pedu

pedu Diabloii.Net Member

Spirit shield is out of the question since monarch has a higher lvlreq than 49.

11. ToThePoint

ToThePoint Diabloii.Net Member

mines got a 5 ias 1 shael war axe for 5 frame rabies (91ias for 5 frame and cant reach next break) making it better than flail as you have 2 extra sockets to play with (3ias 2 shael needed for 5 frame flail)
    i think plague bearer is 10 and 8 frames (shaeled) of the top of my head so its a big difference in speed.

12. Caninja

Caninja Diabloii.Net Member

Think shael'd war axe is ur best bet. I suggested Harmony on switch instead of crystal sword and kite shield. You'd have lower rabies, maybe 30k, but it should still do good damage and catch alot of ppl off guard while you take off using harmony after biting with war axe. Then again that crystal sword/kite shield combo sounds nice if yuu have decent life/resists to surive.

13. Verashiden

Verashiden Diabloii.Net Member

I'd suggest a 5/5 facetted hyperion over the kite shield. That way you can still hit a decent block rate in case something stupid happens during you switching. Also, as stated earlier, Plague is way too slow.

So what exactly are you going to do after you bite them? Just run off and wait for rabies to do its thing? If so then an Assassin can be the death of you. I'd suggest an alternate way of winning while they're poisoned just in case they get some insane stacked resists or break out the Death Gloves on you.

In this respect, a decent speed, high powered one handed weap would probably be your best bet. in that sense I'd suggest an Oath. That way you may be able to get a fury in if they start wandering too close to you.

As for caster switch, Magi and Sanctuary should be all you need.

14. Maccat

I was looking at oath but in what weapon? I'd guess a knout would be one of the fastest/best options since a phase blade is out. I was planning on just biting and either running or turning around and furying them as much as possible before they die, not so much for damage, but to try and block lock them.

With 5 ravens, a creeper, and 5 frame fury I think it's possible. I like the idea of using a 6 socketed war axe. I'll try and get 30 resist (fire, cold, lightning, lightning, cold) and 15% ias jewels and then one shael. Should cover my arse pretty good for resists wise. I think that covers me at 5 frame fury.

If I try the biting technique and running with harmony and I don't like it, I always have the killer rabies switch that adds 45% more damage and -45 more resist. I think with that equipment setup and charms and such I can reach 4k - 5k life. Which should be long enough to kill a few people. I'm not expecting to kill godly people just fun to make people cry haxx when they get raped by a 49 in hell :laugh:. It's a fun character and I've always enjoyed LLD so, I figured, why not make a MLD too?

I plan on making this once the next ladder resets. I'm going to make a level 30 FOH Paladin, level 49 Rabies Druid, and I think if the funds fall my way, I might make a mediocre Bone Necro for back up. If not, I'll just come back and attempt to kill them with my mf sorc. Thanks for your inputs.

P.S: Looking up some items. I'm going to use a war scythe with 3* IAS jewels and 3* Shael runes against smiters and such. I can also wear the armor Rain which I noticed has +2 Druid skills. More than any other armor at that level, I think it could be a potential candidate if I don't need the resists/dr. I can also prebuff with treachery if I need extra resists which could help a substantial amount.

Could I possibly see some random numbers for the amount of rabies it would take to 1 hit ko someone who has mediocre resists in hell with decent life? I would love to just bite someone once and fury them doing no damage just to try and help my survival and let the rabies slowely kill them. With the switch I'm aiming to get about 44k or so.

15. ToThePoint

at the times you need res you'd be using the war scythe most of the time -id prefer res/ias in that (just realised i only put 2 ias jewels in mine doh)

if you need block usually you need the ar at the same time so the ias jewels in war axe be handier (maybe a back up ias war scythe for smiters as you said)

gl getting oath knout^^ i had to make my own this ladder and it was a nihtmare to even get the eth knout.
    other options are runesword as its alot easier to find the sword but has less range and small cresent which is common and easy to get even if slower and lower range.
    ive never used rabies in hell as pretty lame but if it gets the hell psn penalty then see below - if not then just half the lifes removed.
    going with 44k
    rabies pvp penalty = 7480
    hell bonus = 14960
    if 75 res after facets etc 3740 life or less = 1 hit ko
    if 50, 7480
    1 hit kill for many which is one reason why most think its pretty lame and skillless but its funny :)

16. Maccat

Haha, hope you didn't put two jewels that were any good in that scythe. Everyone makes mistakes though, laugh about it.

I'm going to stack angelics in my stash too because of the whole ordeal that even if I get frozen, I still attack at the same speed. I'm not really digging the whole oath idea because I'd rather attack at a faster attack with rabies and then try and block lock them with fury instead of trying to damage them. I don't think oath is fast enough for anything (even in a knout) but a 6 frame fury and 7 frame rabies. I'll have to use some different combinations of equipment but I just thought I'd get your opinions on using the runeword rain in certain situations (possibly against necromancers/hammerdins?).

Just for kicks, does anyone know if slow missle can be cast while in wolf form? What about rabies, if I affect them and then I unshift and teleport away, would the rabies still be affecting them? I realize I will not be able to teleport this is just for my vault of knowledge that seems to shrink as the days go by.

17. ToThePoint

nah must be 5xar/ias jewels got some left from when made waraxe anyway.
    not sure on the cant be frozen thing - that for all attacks? i thought was just 4 frame fury but i never use no raven so i'll take your word for it.
    re oaths - knout/runesword both are 9/5 frame fury, small cresent is 10/6. only way you are getting 7/4 frame 1 handed is socketed naga or something with 95ias which is silly price for the damage prolly.
    other options over rain could be +life armors with rubies or facets whichever you prefer.

18. Maccat

I read it in the Wolf-Barb guide written by Zero-Unit. It's basically stating that any form of slowing (freeze, holy freeze, slow target, etc...) cannot slow your wolf's attack speed (only run/walk) but if there is more than one form of then your attack speed also slows down. I can see if this is true because on the geramn weapon speed calculator when you have a certain level of wolf it says "further IAS useless" because there's only so much outside IAS that affects the wolf and the rest is weapon IAS. I'm not sure if anyone can prove this fact but I read it somewhere.