Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Missionary Build

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Strider_pt, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Strider_pt

Strider_pt IncGamers Member

Missionary Build

Hi everyone. This is an experimental build I had but have never really tested. It looks good in theory but who knows. I am about to create it. Please post comments/recommendations

Skills:
    20 Thorns
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Defiance
    1-5 Conversion
    extra to wherever

Stats:
    Str: Enough for items
    Dext: enough for max block
    Vit: everything here
    Energy: none

Convert and have thorns do the rest.

2. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Should have fanatism as main aura and get thorns from merc. Use a low damage fast weapon (HOTO flail, maybe) to avoid IM.

3. Strider_pt

i was banking on the insane % damage back that a lvl 20+ thorns would deal. At lvl 20, thorns deals 1010% damage back to the attacker...thats a lot........... Also, I dont think a mercenaries thorns is that powerful...

4. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

At lvl 55 the merc's thorns aura reaches its maximum of lvl17. Give him a +4 skills Arioc's Needle and that's instantly a lvl 21 thorns aura.

5. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

I didn't know mercs have a max aura lvl limit. Anyways, if you want to wait for the thorns merc to hit lvl 81 before he has lvl 21 thorns thats fine. Personally, I would get thorns on my pali, and just not go for a merc. The idea is for the minions to kill eachother with thorns not damage, therefore might/fanat would does not make that much sense. The merc really is not going to be much of a help unless you really want your dude to be dependent on the merc, in which case you might as well have godly equip and give your might merc bramble armor for the lvl 20ish thorns it has, and an ariocs needle +andy face for the +6 to all skills to might/thorns. Then use that weapon with fanat, and instead of using fanat, use concentration. Thusly allowing your conversions to do a LOT of damage, and have uninteruptable converting.

Raven-Hood

6. Strider_pt

i see mercs are not very reliable...i mean i would rather have my pally with thorns than the merc because when you die, the merc dies and you have to resurrect which takes mucho gold. And then the whole point about getting the godly items so that you and your merc survive in hell...i feel better just sticking with my pally. also, does anyone know how much increase thorns gets when you add skills past 20?

7. weirdbeard

weirdbeard IncGamers Member

go your own thorns, and get a might merc. then he gets your thorns which will get higher than the thorns merc's can and you'll get his might. the might merc's aura does not have a cap, so it will keep getting more powerful as he levels. give him a life leech weapon and he pretty much wont die.

8. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

When I die, I just delete the ghost and build a new char. I suggested fana + thorns merc because you really need your minions to kill for you sometimes. Remember there are many ranged attackers that thorns won't be effective. For example, hell act 5 is full of skeleton archers.

9. Strider_pt

Ok. My friend and I are going to try this build out. It should hopefully be very good. Note: this is a party friendly build. Soloing is pretty difficult with the Missionary that my friend and I are building b/c we are planning on tanking ranged and having party kill everything that survives...Here goes:

Pure Missionary Build:

Skills:

20 Thorns
    13 Conversion
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Defiance
    1 Sacrifice
    1 Zeal
    1 Vengence
    1 Holy Bolt
    1 Blessed Hammer
    1 Smite
    1 Charge
    10 Resist Lightning
    10 Resist Fire
    10 Resist Cold

Total: 110

Skill Outline:

Sacrifice, Zeal, Vengence, Holy Bolt, Blessed Hammer, Smite, Charge: all prerequesites. Just 1 point.

Thorns: well, it's what this build is based on and it will be the aura you have on the whole time. 20 here.

Holy Shield: + % to block as well as +% to defense...what more can you ask. For our purpose of tanking, 20. You could get by with less if you wanted to couple this build with fanat or zeal.

Defiance: Synergy of Holy Shield. 20 here for Pure Missionary.

Conversion: It's fun to have minions kill each other. This is a questionable skill as to how many to put in this. I recommend to put 10 first, then use any extra skill points here. *I believe you dont need AR to convert but I may be wrong*

Resist Fire/Cold/Light: In this build for passive resist bonus. 10 in each is my recommendation.

Stats Distribution:

Strength: enough to wear items
    Dexterity: enough for max block and items
    Vitality: all here
    Energy: none, nada, zip.

Equipment:

Note: I dont know too much about items but this is what my friend and I came up with. Any suggestions would be valued. Also, there will be a +skills item and a D/R item. Its a matter of personal preference but my friend and I are going to stock up on damage reduction items first........

Helm: Shako: +2 skills and small damage reduce
    Vamp Gaze: Leech is not important as damage reduction

Armor: Guardian Angel: if you dont want to bother with passive resist bonus from resist auras, this is the way to go. Also theres +1 to skills here too.
    Gladiators Bane: high defense and a little damage reduction. My friend and I are going to probably go with this because the defense will be outrageous with holy shield.
    Shaftstop: Good 30% damage reduce here plus extra defense against missile attacks
    Enigma: +2 skills, teleport, small d/r, extra life, high def. Good armor

Weapon: Anything fast here. You want to get in as many attacks as humanly possible. + skills or resists couldnt hurt here either. Might go with wizspike here b/c its fast and has +75 to resists but its up to you.

Shield: Herald of Zak: definately one of the favorites among paladin players. Good for resists, extra life, + to skills.
    Stormshield: Herald's counterpart. Good for damage reduction and cold/light resists. If you want pure damage reduction and tank everything, this is the way to go

Rings: Sojs, Ravenfrosts, Bulkathos...all good

Boots: Anything that fills the spots of resists that you need...

Gloves: Definately gloves with high IAS here. Resists couldnt hurt either.

Ammy: Up to you. Mara's is good but then there's Cat's Eye, Highlords, or good crafted ammy. Looking to fill resists, ias, and skills here.

Charms: Just go for it...you would know what would be good here.

How to Play:

Have Thorns on always. Be in a party. Have a good tanking merc like barb act 5. Remember, thorns only hurts melee. Have party members kill ranged.

Post suggestions and comments.

That is all....

10. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

Any more then one point in convert is a waste with those items. Go with as many +skills items as you can while keeping max resists.

I am surprised you guys do not think that your minions will beable to killed ranged converts, or that you can't just convert the ranged and let the melees come fight them. Seriously, in a5 you will always have the option between ranged and melee monsters to convert. Use a might merc with bramble armor if you are that rich, and you could easily run around with fanat. Bramble armor has lvl 20-ish thorns when equipped, so this combo of three auras makes the most sense. Lastly, it should be obvious that you are not going to be using melee equip. The only melee things you need would be extremely high block rate/ very fast block. Griswold shield/set seems perfect for this build imo.

One more thing, you could easily double in foh will all those spare skill points.

Raven-Hood

11. Absolutian

Absolutian IncGamers Member

Couple comments:

1) In the olden days, one problem with the conversion+thorns was that when monsters, de-converted, they still had an aura for 3 seconds, making serious hazard for any meleers on your side. I realize that aura's only remain for 1 second now. Anyone know if they still remain on the deconverted monsters? 1 second is better than 3, but with a Jabbing a2 merc....

2) There is the physical resistance of monsters in NM and hell, which used to work against Thorns. This is one thing that made missionaries unviable for those difficulties. Far as I know, this should still be the case.

Anyone?

12. goon_squad

goon_squad IncGamers Member

Global physical resists were scrapped in the patch. The aura is gone from monsters the instant conversion expires, so melee mercs are now viable for thorns-coverters. The real problem this build has in the higher difficulties, especially with all the ranged attackers, is being able to get conversions without being killed in the meantime (you must place a goodly number of points in the conversion skill and have a lightning fast weapon). He has, by definition, a paltry defense, unless you hire a defiance merc.

I have had some success in 1.09 and 1.10 with a non-thorns missionary build. This one uses defiance in place of thorns. You need a back up for monsters that can't be converted, I use smite. The trick is to stay ahead of the level of the monsters, to take advantage of the conversion feature that gives monsters a pittance of hit points after conversion expires, even in 8 player games. The paladin must be a lower level than the monster for this to work.

With all the ranged attackers now, thorns isn't going to get them all.

13. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Use a magic Cadacus with +3 offensive auras 40 ias 2 socket sheal +3 conversion +3 thorns +3 holy shield then w/ andys and 15 ias jewel you get 8 frame conversion + ok damage

14. goon_squad

goon_squad IncGamers Member

Nice if you have such a thing. I could play continuously for the next six months without stopping to sleep and it would be still doubtful I'd find a scepter like this (for a genuine converter a War Scepter with these mods would be every bit as good). Coldsteel Eye is pretty good, and so is any old 40% IAS cutlass or phase. Even Blood Crescent is quite useful early on and possibly later too if you need its resists. These fast, low damage weapons best suit a build using smite as a back up. A Cutlass of Amplify Damage with 2 sockets would be quite nice with a smiting converter as well. Even these don't grow on trees.

15. Darkist Reign

Darkist Reign Banned

Would this be a build that can solo w/o a party and with out any gear to give to him?

Travis