Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Miscellaneous Questions (again)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Awkward, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Awkward

Awkward IncGamers Member

Miscellaneous Questions (again)

Hi all,

First off, I've been asking a lot of newbish questions the last few days (makes sense, as I am a noob after all lol), and I want to say thanks to y'all in the SPF for being so helpful with dumb questions. Thanks!

Lemme see...

1) I have a 60 Fishymancer finishing NM act III, doing /players8 and going straight through. Am I in a good spot right now, or do you think I'll have to do Baal runs after I beat NM to get to a high enough level for Hell?

2) Messing around with gambling. I decided to set my sights on Frostburn Gauntlets, and spend 400,000 or so gambling on gauntlets after most playing sessions. No luck so far, mostly just garbage magic items, unique items (the bright yellow ones) every once in a while. How long will it generally take to get a named item like Frostburn Gauntlets? (the type of items with dark yellow names, can't remember what they're called, whether it is elite or unique or something)

Last question:
    3) I am often faced with the equipment choice of resist items, such as a +17-30% to all resists amulet, or a +1 or +2 necromancer skills amulet. Which should I get, and will the answer change when I reach Hell difficulty? Like, is there some resist number that it is useless to get above and also a resist number that is bad to get below?

Thanks a ton,
    Awkward

2. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

Ahh, everytime you try to gamble for a unique in 1.10 the baby Jesus cries =/
    However I have a pair of frosties here that can be yours for the price of an email addy =)
    If you are a purist though, you should probably have better luck running Normal Diablo for it. But only weirdos like CS. Yes. even in normal :D

3. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Hiya Awkward,

1) I think the fishy can start hell at a lower level than the rest. As long as you have your 2 skills maxed (SM/RS) by Hell, it wouldn't matter if you're 70-74.

2) Gamling for uniques is 1/2000 for a normal unique right? So thats at least 2000 gambles there. 400000 isn't a lot of money :) I blew 50 million (and counting) on coronets waiting for my griffon's eye and the people hoping to gamble tyreal's might obviously spent more. Definitely easier for you to just go mf-ing for a pair of frosties.

3) Lightning and cold are prefered maxed simply because you can be hit by them if you're not careful (gloams, frost novas). Fire is preferred above zero, (certain monsters shoot fire) and negative poison is normally exceptable if you are careful with it.

PS: the bright yellow items are called rares, the dark "brown" ones uniques)

4. Awkward

Awkward IncGamers Member

Wow, thanks BuFa, PMing you my e-mail! Though I don't get how items can be e-mailed, I assume it is self-explanatory lol.

So, in the future, I'll hold off on gambling for uniques (though I may try if I need a stopgap magic item) and just try MFing.

SPF rocks :)

-Awkward

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

1 - Fishys can be relatively low levels to enter hell ... and your player settings will reflect that too. Don't go too high. Go as high as your CE allows you. Usually players 1-3. Also depends on your cursing skills etc.

Immediately start running Hell Pits. You will level like crazy there and potentially find some great items.

2 - Gambling for Frosties is hard enough. You'll probably find one from regular play before gambling one. Or a nice forum member will fire one off to you if you don't mind gifts.

3 - Typically, a good summoner with curses will be out of harms way most of the time. So, having high lightning resists is really the only thing you have to watch out for. A good summoner can beat Hell with negative resists.

Go for the +skills and stats. Skills is nice but also stats like +dex which will help reach high blocking and saves stat points for extra life instead, +str to help equip high strength items like Marrowalks/Skullders etc ..... eventually you will get high enough that you will find a Maras or a sweet +2 ammy ... and then you will eventually swap out most +skill gear out for MF gear anyways.

Good luck.

6. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

probably the luckiest drop I've had was a Griffon's eye from my second ever Pit run, with about 150 MF. From my (minimal) experience, it's not a bad place to look if you're in the MF mood.

check out ATMA (sticky at the top of SPF forum) that'll give you a better idea on item transfer

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

sounds like you need ATMA. check the thread, install the program, and start muling your items! check the give away thread too. nearly all normal uniques can be had in the give away thread. Gambling specifically for set/unique items is a waste, and even more so if you do it for a specific unique. Gambling is generally used to get good rare (the bright yellow) items.

As others have said, what you will most need is lightning resistence, which you want at 75% (the max) once you are in Hell. You would like to have some fire resistene, although don't sacrifice other good mods to get it. My summoner made it through hell with like 5% cold and -10% poison res so you don't really need those at all - just have an antidote postion around in the places you know there is strong poison (or a Town portal scroll to get home quick to get healed)

8. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

Mule sent ! Enjoy ^^
    I tried to explain in the e-mail how to do it but there's a chance you'll find it more confusing than if I never said anything x.x So you should check out the ATMA thread anyway :thumbsup:

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

1) I have a 60 Fishymancer finishing NM act III, doing /players8 and going straight through. Am I in a good spot right now, or do you think I'll have to do Baal runs after I beat NM to get to a high enough level for Hell?

A i say aim for lvl 70. Most builds aim for 75, but a fishy doesnt really gain much from those extra 5 levels, so i say your pretty much on target.

2) Messing around with gambling. I decided to set my sights on Frostburn Gauntlets, and spend 400,000 or so gambling on gauntlets after most playing sessions. No luck so far, mostly just garbage magic items, unique items (the bright yellow ones) every once in a while. How long will it generally take to get a named item like Frostburn Gauntlets? (the type of items with dark yellow names, can't remember what they're called, whether it is elite or unique or something)

Uniques are very rare (1 in 2000 chance) in gambling now, it would be better to do meph runs in nm or hell for a while methinks. Although at least your not trying to gamlbe elite uniques, the odds of any of those dropping are horrible.

3) I am often faced with the equipment choice of resist items, such as a +17-30% to all resists amulet, or a +1 or +2 necromancer skills amulet. Which should I get, and will the answer change when I reach Hell difficulty? Like, is there some resist number that it is useless to get above and also a resist number that is bad to get below?

Keep all possibly useful stuff you find until you get to hell. Then play about with it. for most parts of hell you wont be hetting hit often, if at all, so resists arent vital, but then you will want some protection in case you end up facing a pack of gloams. the most important resist will be lightning (many peircing attacks and high max damage), and fire (common, and a high average damage). cold is not that important, since most of it is done on melee monsters, and poison can be stopped by a antidote pot).
    So if you ahve reasonable resists (between 30 and 75 is fine, lightning youll want near to 75 as possible.) then go for the +skills.

10. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

One thing I didn't notice anyone mention (sorry if you did and I mised it) is that in hell, your resistances drop again. Also if you die, the display doesn't show it but some of the math formula people have discovered that the resist bonuses for Anya go away until you save and exit. A real pain in hell when that means +20-30 resists. And don't forget that even if you have more than 75% resists (maxed unless you have an item that ups it further) if you get hit with certian curses, the resists still exist above 75, the damage computations just won't use a number above that w/o the right equipment.

Also, poison can kill your merc but not you. It will put you at one hit point, but poison can't take you below that.

11. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

It wouldn't hurt to be higher level before entering hell. Both you and your merc will be more durable, and your mana pool will be larger.

Are you using the "/players x" command to increase the experience you get?

As Water_Moon points out, if you die you can lose some of your resists, the ones gained from the Anya quest, at least until you re-start the game. Plus you have to re-summon your army which can be annoying if you happened to explode/revive all the corpses in your recent battles.

12. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

yeah, and then you die from stubbing your toe :rolleyes: