Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Minuteman Project might escalate into violence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu Diabloii.Net Member

Minuteman Project might escalate into violence

Armed Minutemen

Check the photo on the right of the article.

Something is going to get ugly if nothing comes out of this from the higher ups. As a weapon owner myself and I speak for many of my colleagues, we tend to think we're 'more' in the right when we're packing heat.

I remember I paid 2 Mexicans get rid of all the weeds at folks' place. I tried to get my nephews or their friend to do it for $12/hr. No takers. Too hard they say. The 2 mexicans I picked up came in and cleaned up the place and even replanted the shrubs I got from Orchard. :thumbsup:

I don't think there are much kids taking jobs I would've taken when I was their age. You go to those Asian restaurants, you'd see Mexican working in the back and bussing trays. Better workers than our kids that keep getting fatter.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

I hope it doesn't turn violent. Just because they show a guy with a pistol in the picture doesn't mean he got it for that particular event or has any notions of using to enforce the border. For all we know, he could be a P.I. or something.

I don't know if I like the idea or not. On one hand, I like the idea of citizens helping the country, on the other, we've seen how private contractors carrying out government jobs can end up.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

they are a bunch of flaming morons with weapons, violence is a given, especially if I was there to take a few of 'em out

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

*********** might escalate into violence.

I think you'd be hard pressed to name one thing that absolutely cannot become violent.

edit: From what I've read, they claim that they don't intend to apprehend the illegals themselves, but rather to alert the proper authorities. They are using their constitutional right of free assembly . . . why do you guys hate the constitution? This isn't very much different from a neighborhood watch.

5. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

I am not aware of people in my neigborhood watch association running around with pistols.

President Bush has called the Minutemen "vigilantes".

From their FAQ site

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

So someone explain to me why they need guns to use a radio/cell phone to alert the authorities of a group of immigrants making a run across the border.

Oh. Wait. The immigrants have darker skin than them. So naturally they're dangerous.

7. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere Diabloii.Net Member

They might run into drug runners perhaps. Even Park Rangers have to carry guns because of them.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

If the drug runners are so low-tech and blind as to run into a bunch of hicks driving around in their SUVs with nothing better to do than chase down border crossers, they're not very good drug runners.

9. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Way to go everyone for not bothering to learn that the organization does not encourage the people who volunteer to be armed, and in fact does just the opposite. I'm not sure a group advocating an unarmed border watch qualifies as "a bunch of flaming morons with weapons", but if Bush would get off his ass and put the national guard on the border, it would be a moot point.

Seems rather hypocritical of him to call them "vigilantes" when he won't lift a finger to solve the problem himself.

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Well to sorta defend him for a second (not really), the National Guard for the most part seems to be too busy defending the nation of Iraq to bother with our own nation. Funny how that works out.

11. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I think we have enough to assist the border patrol. It's not like we need to form a physical human chain. You see, there's this wonderful invention called binoculars that allow people to see for long distances . . .

12. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu Diabloii.Net Member

That border is pretty big. And binoculars are effective as the amount of eyes we have using them. It's not enough as it stands.

As border crossing usually done at night when it's cooler.

13. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Whoa whoa, are you hiding a race card up your sleeve?

People in the U.S have a constitutional right to bear arms. Let me ask you again--why do you hate the U.S constitution?

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Economics at its finest, eh? Anyway, I think the prospect of meeting drug runners seems to be real enough that a carrying a gun might be warranted. But it could also be that the drugs don't cross in Arizona at all.

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood Diabloii.Net Member

I support an open border myself, since America is and always has been a country that depends on immigrants for its work force. Still, what I'm seeing in this thread is a bunch of knee-jerk reactionism at the phrases "armed" and "volunteer patrols". First of all, as has already been stated, they are well within their constitutional rights to both carry weapons and form a volunteer group. There is also a possibility of danger, and I'm sorry, but despite the media portrayal of weapons, it is possible to use them only for defense. Second, I see no problem with a volunteer group helping a government agency with a job that is obviously too big for them.

16. Mecal

Mecal Diabloii.Net Member

exactely.

but i disagree with the open boarder.

Maybe it takes someone from AZ to adress this issue, like me :)

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

kill whitey, that's why

18. Stevinator

Stevinator Diabloii.Net Member

this is becoming a popular phrase these days, "why do you hate X". I think it's hilarious.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Isn't the constitution what got in the way from saving that poor woman from being murdered in Florida? Isn't that what keeps us from torturing terrorists? From massacring liberals?

Besides, shouldn't you be telling me that in fact they are more dangerous by virtue of the darker pigment in their skin? Sure seems to be what was being said that gun control thread...

20. skihard

skihard Banned

You sir live in the wrong neighbor hood then. In a neighborhood near me the ones on the watch are the only ones without guns because of a city ordinance, and in my neighborhood many including myself have a CCW (thanks to a Michigan law and a city not overriding said law) and because of it we haven’t had a break in, a theft, murder, rape, or other crime beyond speeding in over 5 years. The neighborhood near me has had 2 murders, a rape, and a house set on fire just in the past month.

I doubt there is a direct correlation between the crime in the town without CCW’s and the lack of crime in the town with the CCW but it does make one wonder a bit. Although Detroit has a CCW law and they still have a capital crime nearly every night.

Anyway my point is that some places allow side arms as long as they can be seen Arizona for one, and some allow a side arm to be concealed (with proper background check, and permits) Michigan so the protesters are well within their rights as established by law in their state.