lvl1 golem
lvl golem mastery

vs.

a sommon wolf
lvl20 wolf
lvl 20 dire wolf
lvl 20 bear

rules

1)this is not a battle of numbers its 1 on 1,all other skills are for the synerges

2)no out side help from outher sommons

3)no attaking players

4)no curses,and

5)no auras......no help at all really

what about dire wolf vs skelly
dire wolf vs mage
wolf vs mage

place ur bets now :thumbsup:

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC the usual claim is that wolves are better than skellies; it's just that in normal gameplay you have a lot more skellies, Amp Damage and Corpse Explosion to make the necro summoner the "better" build compared to a druid summoner.

Never played a druid, though.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
the skellies would probably win against dire wolves, mainly because of their number.
the mages would probably have have problems winning, since they have such low life.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
This is assuming 1 on 1 and NO +skills.

Skeleton Warrior:
Damage: 124 - 127 (ø125.5)
Attack Rating: 606
Defense: 606
Hit Points: 1919
Resist lightning/cold/fire: 66%

Spirit Wolf:
Attack Rating: 277
Damage: 129 - 141 (ø135)
Resist lightning/cold/fire: 85%
Defense: 321
Hit Points: 375
Passive attack rating bonus: +525%
Passive defense bonus: +240%

The wolf will bite the dust.

Skeleton Warrior:
Damage: 124 - 127 (ø125.5)
Attack Rating: 606
Defense: 606
Hit Points: 1919
Resist lightning/cold/fire: 66%

Dire Wolf:
Attack Rating: 1657
Damage: 217 - 233 (ø225)
Resist lightning/cold/fire: 85%
Defense: 777
Hit Points: 612 - 812 (ø712.5)
Passive life bonus: +525%

Interesting battle. The Skellie has slightly more than half the damage, but more than twice the hp's. Depending on the regen rate of the wolf, I think the Skellie will win.

Mages don't stand a chance. The enormous amounts of resists on both wolves will cause the Mages's low damage to take a nosedive.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
The bear of course will stomp a single skelly. That's why you get 8 with 20 points but only one bear.

Patsy

Diabloii.Net Member
Goth De Luse said:
hmmmmmm
good point

i know u had the anser mad mantis,

ur like a necro guru
Ayup, that's why MM is moderating. :thumbsup:

That was one of the comments, MM, that I was going to make, specifically the regeneration level of the skeleton fighters, which seem to be truly 'hellish'.

-Patsy
"This is why
We make dr00ds cry."

Feetstench

Diabloii.Net Member
But is anybody taking into consideration that a druid can just summon wolves rapid fire as opposed to the skeles needing corpses?

dont think you can put limitations on the abilities used since Sages and their Auras are such a intergral part of the druid. That is like asking the Necro to not use Mastery.

In a real time fight using just summon trees I would bet a lot that the Druid would Win this easily. The Skeles are a pretty big gun but the wolves are easily replininhed. Not to mention that a creeper would easily eliminate the supply of bodies for the Skeles.

Actually I don't think I would Invest in the Bear. I would max Ravens just to nitpick away at the Skeles. Would they Blind Skeles?

Mad Mantis

Feetstench said:
But is anybody taking into consideration that a druid can just summon wolves rapid fire as opposed to the skeles needing corpses?

dont think you can put limitations on the abilities used since Sages and their Auras are such a intergral part of the druid. That is like asking the Necro to not use Mastery.

In a real time fight using just summon trees I would bet a lot that the Druid would Win this easily. The Skeles are a pretty big gun but the wolves are easily replininhed. Not to mention that a creeper would easily eliminate the supply of bodies for the Skeles.

Actually I don't think I would Invest in the Bear. I would max Ravens just to nitpick away at the Skeles. Would they Blind Skeles?
If you don't put in limitations I think the Necro will win. You are forgetting that right now we aren't allowed to use curses. Curses are as important to a Necro as Spirits are to a Druid. He can summon all the wolves he wants, but if they constantly get cursed with Attract and Amp it would make life for our Skellies much easier.

Goth De Luse

Diabloii.Net Member
remember what i said! :rant:

no helping!
no curses or auras!
and no extra summuns,its 1vs1,all the other skills are to boost each minion to there fullist,and did i say a thing on bears?this is about wolves and skellys(im saveing golem vs bear for later)

Goth De Luse

Diabloii.Net Member
let me re-phrase

skelly worrior with
lvl20skelly(fo the max damge life,etc,)
lvl 20 skell matery
lvl 20 summon resist

vs

sommon wolf
lvl 20 wolf(life damge ect)
lvl 20 dire wolf(synergys)
lvl 20 bear(for synergys)

Stevebo

Banned
But to be fair, one reason the Necro can summon a large number of skellies is that he needs corpses to summon them off, so to replace one he needs a new corpse (important in boss battles). The druid can only summon 3 dire wolves partly because he can resummon them as often as he likes. Being able to resummon at will is an important part of the druids build. Also dire wolves gain bonuses ( i forget exactly what - i think damage) from eating bodies of slain monsters - i dont know if that has been taken into account in MMs answer of the stats of skellies vs wolf.

I think its mostly fair to ignore curses/auras as:
Heart of wolverine ~ Amp Damage (and sort of Decrepify)
Spirit of Barbs ~ Iron Maiden

But also a skellimancer relies largely on his skellies as a sole summoning attack, where a druid uses ravens and creepers/spirits to compliment the wolves/bear. Also electricblue (i think) on the druid forum has a guide on poison creeper, the basic gist is that the more enemies on the screen the more damage is done by the creeper - with 8 skellies the poison damage will be pretty massive.

I think given Curses/Spirits/Other Summonings/Resummonings this is too complex to really guess an answer, the only way to really solve it would be to have a PvP where both players agree not to attack each other but just let the summonings sort it out between themselves.

I understand the question is basically skelli vs wolf but it is not a fair way to compare the builds. Personally if you had one skelli and one wolf and no inteference i reckon the skelli would win - but that ignores a significant part of the playing style of both characters.

Mad Mantis

Stevebo said:
Personally if you had one skelli and one wolf and no inteference i reckon the skelli would win - but that ignores a significant part of the playing style of both characters.
That was the original question. I posted the stats a single Skellie and Wolf would have.

Feetstench

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Mantis said:
That was the original question. I posted the stats a single Skellie and Wolf would have.
Kinda hard to compare the 2. I still think it is kinda weird to let a Skell have it mastery yet not allow the sages.

While it is clear a Skell is stronger than a wolf straight up, I think the result of a naked fight between the 2 using the summon trees as the players wish is more interesting.

With skells it is pretty striight up, Mastery and the Skells and some Clay golem.
With the Druid ther is a lot more variety there.