Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mind wrenching question :D

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by trunte, Apr 3, 2005.

1. trunte

trunte IncGamers Member

Mind wrenching question :D

Hi i have a lvl 90 sum necro and he works so well. Haven't died with him yet since i became lvl 60 but there is always room for improvement. I have nothing to improve on the char itself so therefor i went on to the merc.

Right now i'm just running around with a act1 rouge with egde (lvl 15 thorns = 8xx% dmg return) which actually works very, very nice. But of course i would be (which is why im going to do it :D) better to have a act2 with thorns and thereby have the option of optinal auras form items. But then i started thinking, might or thorns? Im not sure how big the effect on my skellys would be form might. I know that thorns work excellent but what about might? If i choose the might i could just give the merc a bramble and thereby get both but it just seems like a big waste when i have no problem boosting several ppl (only tried 5 at a time besides myself, hard to find that many ppl that need a boost :)).

So to conclude my question.... How big of a effect would might have on my skelly do you think? And should i choose might or thorns?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Might has a huge effect on skellies...skelly damage is a bit on the low side but boosted by might and then further boosted by amplify damage makes for a very deadly combo. Most people choose might and I will also definitely recommend it. I find that even with Might skellies don't do huge amounts of damage, so it will probably be even worse without it. I haven't tried Thorns aura but it sounds pretty cool, so if you could get a Might mercenary with Thorns that would be awesome...If you have no trouble boosting 5 people at the time...then you don't really have any problems...but is this in Hell??? Because skellymancers killing power isn't the fastest on higher player settings, so they need all the damage they can possibly get. Maybe you could also try a Pride runeword with Concentration aura for even more insane damage.

3. trunte

trunte IncGamers Member

It's on hell yes... My skellies are lvl 49-50 and bo around 1.1k +/- dmg without might. And i have 35 skellies (i think) this including mages. This combined with enigma for easy controling and directing the skellys it makes for a great multi creature kill and boss killer. When doing ancients hell i just stand back and amp. I dont even lose a skelly during this. My revieve is also lvl 25 (only put one skill in it) but i just think of revieve as distraction. They have absolutly no brain and keeps getting stuck and falling behind. But i use it on speciel creature when nearing a boss kill adds killing speed.
    When killing a boss just tele right up to time after amping and then about 60 monsters are standing in one spot all hitting the boss at the same time (deadly). But if the dmg increase is as big as you say of course i must use it. And maybe bramble for fun.

P.S. the thorns also makes for a great combo with blood golem (take 1 x dmg and gain about 8x dmg in life) but it's common know combo i know that.... Just another reason for using thorns aura in some way.

P.P.S. Hmm :D my brother just mentioned that dream might be a nice runeword also. It adds around 800 dmg :D. So concluding: Bramble (thorns), Dream (holy shock), merc aura (might) and insight (meditation since i have base energy i can only tele for a certain amount of time. Have around 700 mana). But when using this i will not be able to give the merc life leech. But since there is aroudn 40 targets constantly he will not take any hits, if any at all.

4. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Go with Might then give him a +4 Ariocs with amn rune, +2 arkaine and gulliamanes face.

lvl 23 might :D uber

5. trunte

trunte IncGamers Member

Since the merc is going to see alot of action it would be a waste to stick him with gulli.... his only real contribution is the aura that i throw at him :D

6. TerrorClown

TerrorClown IncGamers Member

If u make a iron golem from a item that gives aura u got 1 aura more. :D
    (but u proberly did already know that) ;)

7. corax

corax IncGamers Member

im not a bnet player so dont know about all the new runewords, but thats an easy to achieve high quality setup. the CB really does help with bosses

8. Chimaira

I think a Dream helm would be a waste...The crushing blow from Guillaume's Face is probably going to do more damage than the lightning damage from dream, especially against bosses. But then again with all the godly gear you have:) the choice of helm for your mercenary isn't going to do much of a difference.

Also when your skeletons are such a high level, and you have so many of them, the increase in damage from might will be very large so definitely go for it.

9. trunte

trunte IncGamers Member

when giving all my skellies holy shock it adds 800 light dmg right? quite a dmg boost i would say

10. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

Does an aura such as this actually apply to the minions? I don't think so, to my knowledge the holy damage auras only apply to the wielder don't they? A holy freeze pala only receives the enhanced cold damage but of course the slowing chill effect hits all within radius.
    Hope I'm not being stupid here...

11. trunte

trunte IncGamers Member

It isnt you that are stupid... I am completly forgot :D got blinded by the possibilities :D

12. Chimaira

You're not being stupid...There are 2 components to the elemental damage auras...There's a pulse that gives damage to everything within radius every 2 seconds and there's an amount of elemental damage added to the attack of whoever is using the skill/wearing the item.

Sorry...but only the merc will get the added 800 lightning damage...the pulse will still damage monsters, but is way too weak to do any good. That's why Guillaume's Face is probably a better option...or something with life leech.

Edit: Too slow...yes it's very easy to be blinded by possibilities...When I first started playing 1.10 I was very pshyched about the lastet bunch of runewords until I realised that you couldn't use them in single player...Doh!

13. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

*Looks at the possibilites of uberness*

*Runs around blind*

AAAhhhhhh Beast Gives fanaticism *Trips on a rock*.

WOooooo Pride gives concentration yet Infinity gives conviction *Stumbles like a drunk and begins to run again*

Weeeee Dream the only aura giving choice for helmet correct me if I'm wrong *Runs down an old lady and tramples over her*

Yaaaaa Bramble gives thorns *Gets a cramp and has to sit down*

hehaha Necro can have a Dragon shield on switch with beast *Dies*

Lets check, The merc can have a concentration or conviction aura, Holy Shock aura, and Thorns Aura. Necro can summon skelies with summon gear, then switch to Beast/Dragon combo for fanat/holyfire.

If only this did what we wished it would do. Conc, holy shock, holy fire, thorns fanatic Skellies. If only :(

14. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Are you all freaking nuts?

If you have Bramble and want to be uber for gawds sake man, slap it *and* Edge on the Act 1 merc!!! :rant: Mix liberally with Amp.