Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Milo Minderbinder from Catch-22

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ting, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Milo Minderbinder from Catch-22

Okay, I was supposed to read Catch-22 for ninth grade English honors during the summer, and I read part of the book, and am fascinated by the way Milo made money buying eggs for 5 cents and selling them for 3 cents. It's been itching at me the past few days for some reason (after having not thought about the book in months), could someone explain to me how this works?

2. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Ive never read the book, but was he buying one egg for 5 cents and then selling that same egg for 3. If so then i too would like to know how this can be profitable.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Along with the rest of buisness America.

I can only think that he advertised on them. . .that wouldn't be too effective though.

4. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Yeah, he would buy the eggs at 5 cents each then sell them at 3 cents each, and make a profit.

5. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

That just cant happen. You need to explain how he did it. Did he use them as ads?

6. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Baw I don't know, that's why I'm asking :lol:

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Milo was an ***hole, I haven't read the book in awhile, I forget the nuances of his ***holery

8. Akira

Akira Member

Hurrah for sparknotes.com!

9. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

milo made money selling the eggs for less than he paid for them was explained in the middle of the book somewhere.

It's been a long time since I read it but I think it had something to do with the fact that he could buy the eggs from the (US)government. I vaguely remember that he somwhere ends up really getting 7 cents for the eggs because of the way the food was supplied.

I'm not sure if this is right but he buys eggs from the mess fund.and so he makes money but no one else does and no one seems to realize that they're being ripped off.

Catch-22 is a great book adn i remember feeling guilty that I laughed through most of it when i came near the end. I recommend not only that you read the entiree book, whether for th assignment or not, and then wait two days and read it again. you'll be amazed how different it is the second time.

it's kinda like watching fight club for the second time...there's a twist...but not really the same kind of twist...more of a mood twist. excellent book, i thinki'm going to see if i can find it...i know it's laying around somewhere. I vaguely remember them making a movie of it...but i doubt it would be much good compared to the book...there's to much flashing forward and back and too much background to cover in a film.

10. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I asked my friend how Milo did it and he launched into an explanation about capitalist economies and the stock market. Looks like I'll be reading it again :drink:

11. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

hmz, didnt he just bought an egg, grew a chicken out of it, and then sell her eggs for 3 cents each ?

i really dontknow, never heard of this guy anywayz so :scratch:

12. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

i dont feel like typing the entire quote (its about a page long), but what milo does is he buys them in scicialy for a cent an egg (im not sure if he owns the hens), pays himself to transport them to scicialy, buys them from himself, then buys them from himself again to sell them to the syndicate for 2 cents less than he payed for them (he sells 7 cent eggs for 5 cents), and counts all the money he gained as profits at each transaction as profit, even though its completly impossible. if anyone wants to tpye up the quote (its on page 241 in my copy, and is in the milo the mayor chapter{the 22nd chapter}, 3 pages in, if you count both sides of a page as 1 page)

13. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

If you get to the end you'll find out how Milo can sell the eggs at such a cheap rate. Rather ingenious/horrifying scheme actully.

I'm doing this book for my wonderfuly complex term paper so if you have any questions just PM me.

EDIT: Is your book the paperback blue one with the plane on the front? If it is I'll grab my copy and type it up...if i can find it that is! :uhhuh:

14. EdgeFrog00

EdgeFrog00 IncGamers Member

I believe that part of the scheme also included trading the eggs for other goods and buying them back again later (but it's been a while since if read the book). Egyptian cotton rings a bell for some reason. But my favorite character from the book is the dead man in Yossarian's tent. He reminds me of my mother-in-law, I can never get her to leave either. :grrr:

--Frog

15. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

oOo that would explain it.

Axeil, I could just IM you or read your subprofile :flip:

16. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

i think so. cover is blue with a white border (the edge between the blue and the barder is kind of frayed, like it was torn paper), at the top it says "the classic #1 masterpiece (in a thin red box), then in larger print it says catch-22. it has a picture of a guy looking at a small clack plane below that (the guy is red). it has at the bottom- " a novel by" (next line, in bigger print) " joseph heller" (on next line with smaller print again) " with a new preface by the author"

if that in depth discription matches your copy, then yes, it is the same one.