Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Midwifery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kobold, Nov 21, 2006.

1. kobold

kobold Banned

Midwifery

There was a bit on the radio this morning about a group of ladies who have started assisting other ladies in giving birth at home. They have no formal training, nor is there any money that changes hands, only an occasional exchange of services.

One of the comments that struck me during the interview was a lady commenting that birthing "is a natural process that women have handled just fine on their own for thousands of years", but that in the past ~100 years men have turned it into a scary process that has to be "managed" by the medical profession.

Being a guy, I somewhat agree that it's scary (think: "you want me to squeeze O through o ???" :shocked: ) I also can't help but think that the aide of a doctor has likely saved thousands of babies from dieing from complications at birth. Having a baby at home may be perfectly fine for some, but I question it for all.

Thoughts? And ladies, would you have (have you had) a baby at home by yourself, with/without a midwife being present?

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Okay, this is more proof that a lot of women should not be allowed to have contact with the general human population. Up until even the 1900's, giving birth was pretty much the most dangerous thing a woman could do. The death rate while giving birth was insanely high. Yah, having a person there, be it a midwife or a quack doctor, could occasionally help, but without modern medicine giving birth would be a gamble with your life, not just a painful process.

3. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Practicing without a license anyone? Anyone?

Ah yes, you, Sir, in the back. :thumbsup:

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I perfectly understand why many women choose to have their delivery at home with a midwife, and their grievances with hospitals and doctors. On the other hand, if these midwives are untrained then this is very dangerous, I hope they are aware of the risks. Why they would choose these people instead of qualified midwives baffles me.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

On the Discovery channel they mentioned a woman who was a mid-wife for like 60 years, helped birth 3000+ babies.

Anyway, western medicine did kinda mess with the whole process. Laying on your back and pushing leads to more tears and is harder on your muscles than squatting.

I'd rather my wife try the more traditional ways first and move to formal medicine if needed. So I guess move the midwives into the hospitals.

6. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I've heard wonderful things about midwives, in fact, all of my pre-natal visits with my youngest were split between my OB/GYN and the mid-wife that works for her. This mid-wife did go to college and trained for the purpose, she has a degree in mid-wifery. I would have been perfectly comfortable with her doing my delivery...at a hospital. As for giving birth at home with some lady with no formal training whatsoever...I don't even think so!!! There are too many things that could go wrong and my home simply is not equipped for it.

7. gorf

gorf IncGamers Member

Untrained? Uncertified, maybe, but untrained, certainly not. That's why midwives work in groups, to pass along the skills. That said, childbirth can be insane-o-dangerous, I'll certainly be encouraging someone having my child to do it in the hospital.

Gorf

8. kobold

kobold Banned

Guess I completely misinterpreted those restraints... :wink3:

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

oops wrong person

10. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I actually considered becoming a midwife for a long time but the money isn't that great and overall I decided it's just not for me. But I would totally have my baby at home with a qualified midwife. I'm also considering a water birth. They look the least stressful and most relaxing to me. But we'll see when the time comes. I'll probably opt for the hospital with lots of drugs.

hahaha posted as annie again...that would have been funny him talking about birth....

11. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

When I was preggers with Sam, I saw a midwife until about half way through.

Giving birth with a midwife or a midwife and at home is not a silly idea. The decision to give birth at home should only be made if there are very few if any complications. For me, I had a previous c-section so there would be no way that I would have a baby at home vaginally. I also suffered from pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure and other symptoms during pregnancy). If you are healthy and have had an uneventful pregnancy I see nothing wrong with giving birth at home..with qualified, certified midwives. I don't agree with having other mommies delivering babies.

A water birth sounds so nice. So much better than being poked in the back and cut open.

12. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I both feel bad that women have to go through that sort of thing, and am simultaneously glad that I never will. *Shudder*

Much respect to mothers for that one, and all that comes with it.

13. zodiac66

Its really not that awfully bad after the surgery. I was up and walking much better than the vaginal birthing moms. I missed out on quite a bit though when it came to the birthing experience. When I had the c-sections I felt like I missed out on alot. For me, it made me feel less than a woman because my stupid hips didn't spread due to my hormones not working correctly. My bones never softened, my hips never spread and neither kid was coming out the natural way. I also never produced milk so I never had the engorgement that other mom's have had.

I am a freak of nature.

14. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Freak of nature? I wouldn't say so. Everyone's bodies work differently, I'm sure you know that. And besides, based on what I've gleaned from the various posts made around the forums, you seem to be a great mother, working hard and making sure ... Liam and Samara, was it? I think my memory's working properly, but I'm not 100% sure - have the necessities. And so far as I'm concerned, that's what counts.

And now... I go to bed. I'm exhausted, it's been a long day. And if my memory has failed me then that's what I'm blaming it on. :jig:

15. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Less chance of mother/child being saved by medical support staff if complications arise = more natural (natural selection kicks in as mother/child dies and is unable to pass on genes that result in person not being smart enough to take advantage of medical advances)

Remember, the mother's "experience" of the birth is more important than the child's safety.

16. zodiac66

I really don't think genetics, intelligence and natural selection really fits in here. I have yet to learn of a stupid gene. Perhaps Plasmo can point out where exactly it is on the DNA strand. I don't think there is a mother-to-be that would in any way endanger her child. I would guess that there is not a midwife in the world that would allow a home birth if there were any obvious signs of complications.

Giving birth in a hospital doesn't prevent complications. Umbilical cords can be wrapped around the neck of the baby, the doctor may be tired and make a mistake..there are a whole host of issues that can happen in a hospital as well.

Giving birth is one of the greatest experiences no matter where or how you have it. I find it offensive that Plasmo thinks that women who choose to have their babies at home deserve to be a victim of natural selection or that somehow their genes are less than desirable. The decision to have a baby at home, in a comfortable environment is not a genetic flaw.

17. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I have to say---bringing natural selection into this is, IMO, ridiculous. It really has nothing to do with it. There are so many things that can go wrong....simple things that are easily remedied all the way to very serious complications. These things can happen anywhere, be it at home or in a hospital. What if a mother in labor was on the way to the hospital and things went wrong in transit..would that have anything to do with her not being smart? No, it wouldn't.

18. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

This is true enough. I remember a story not long ago, I want to say a couple months or so, where a woman was trying to make her way to the hospital, because her water had broken early or something. Long story short, she ended up having her baby on a TTC subway platform. Mother and child were both fine, they went to the hospital to be checked just in case, and IIRC they were released the next day with a clean bill of health.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No, but all those things can happen in the home as well, and hospitals have the resources and trained staff to do something about it if it does. That's why qualified midwives rush you to a hospital if there are complications.

20. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

HE LIVES!!!
    Welcome back