Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mid lvl rune combining

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tomersss, Feb 21, 2017.

1. tomersss

tomersss Diabloii.Net Member

i was wondering.. has anyone had good results with combining mid lvl runes? like lets say Io and above? for now im keeping all Ios and above and flawed gems but it gets annoying at some point. so ide like to know if there are people who got nice results/still getting from this procedure.

2. Turbocannon

Turbocannon Diabloii.Net Member

If you do not do the maths, you probably do not realize how rapidly this becomes un-worthwhile. It takes 243 Ios to get a single Pul, which is still not all that much. It would take 1944 Ios to get a single Ist. Running Lower Kurast for an hour or two will get you Ists, Puls, and runes like this much easier. I'd rather just keep the mid runes as they are (unless you need to cube them up for a specific, slightly higher mid rune) - it's more worthwhile to run LK or River of Flame and then cube up Mals and Ists for high runes (plus you get some Vexes, Surs and the like from the superchests anyways).

T72on1 likes this.
  3. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

4. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

There are some cubing procedures considered to be done. I must say this:

You can cube Mals to Ists, but don't cube Ists to Guls, They are just too valuable and useful.
    Gul-->Vex no problem
    Vex-->Ohm for CtA? Do it!
    Ohm-->Lo once you have CtA, you want Grief, Fortitude
    Lo-->Sur don't be ridiculous, rather reroll one of the Griefs you have done
    Sur-->Ber, Sur is in general considered half a Ber, says a lot
    Ber-->Jah, to make Enigma, sure. For anything else? Don't think so, unless you really need Jah
    Jah-->Cham, don't see much of a problem if you don't need Jah and need Cham...
    Cham-->Zod, I'll pretend I didn't write that...

BKC and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  5. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

I think I cubed up from Fals or something ridiculous like that when I was trying to fill my PitZerkers 6xIst Phase Blade. Stupid unfoundable, used-in-every-other-useful-runeword Ists...

6. tomersss

thanks for your responses :)

7. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

I know cubing mid runes isn't really a good use of time. But, I keep a character stash with all mid-high level runes. When I find new ones, they get moved there, instead of "rune stash". If I see that new runes can be cubed up (3+), then I mule necessary runes/gems onto the character I'm playing at the time.

For example, say I find a Dol rune. Instead of stashing it away with dozens of other Dol runes. I'll load 2x Dol, 2x Hel, 2x Io back onto character I'm playing. Then my Dol cubes up to a Lum. etc etc. Sometimes it's pretty cool when you get a cascade of 5, 6, 7 levels of runes all at once! :cool:
    CathanATMA.jpg

8. Darkthrone

Darkthrone Diabloii.Net Member

I can tell you from personal experience that it is not worth cubing low-mid level runes with the goal of obtaining high runes.

Also, since then, I have been running Lower Kurast almost exclusively for my high runes and with that have obtained nearly all the runewords I wanted. I have found a Jah from the Council, however. Point is, it's totally worth it to just roll a decent Lower Kurast map, get 200% faster cast rate, and go to town (pun kinda intended :)).

Lastly, as Gripphon pointed out in my thread, you gain a lot of good stuff from picking up things like small/grand charms, jewels, etc.

9. ERayz

ERayz Diabloii.Net Member

I don't get how you guys have the patience for running LK chest, Either I am very unlucky with them, or all of you are super lucky, but I ran them for hours in the past few weeks, and the highest rune I found there was a Ko.

So I am running Hell countess now since at least I get steady runes, and the occasional Ist / Mal.

Then I got lucky and found an Ohm from her, which means that for now, Countess dropped me more HRs thans LK lol.

10. Darkthrone

It's all luck, honestly. Sometimes it's in your favour, and other times not. But I can tell you from plenty of experience (and many others around here will agree) that it's far more rewarding in the long (and probably even short) term to run an area like Lower Kurast over the Countess.

I used to be in your exact position thinking the exact same thing. It's why I ran the Countess in the first place. The constant stream of runes was stimulating so I felt I was really achieving something, but as you can see from my link in the previous post that's not the case. Not by a long shot. 18 hours to obtain an Ohm is ridiculous (your Ohm from her is extremely rare - enjoy it).

I'll tell you right now you'll never get any of the elite rune words by running the Countess.

11. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I agree you are better off spending time running LK than trying to cube Runes up. The time it takes, and then having to pick up flawed and regular gems just adds even more time to the process. I will pick up most Runes regardless because I like to craft and the Runes for adding sockets to gear always come in handy.

@ERayz I may get shot for saying this, but if you are only hitting the chests in LK and not having any luck, you might try a route with some poppables for awhile. For me, just running the chests get mind numbing very quick. Sorta like Pindle, I can't handle more than 30 minutes at a time on him before my brain starts shutting down. Plus, LK is great for charms if you are hitting other things besides chests, and I have found a decent amount of sets/legs as well. Hell, kill a pack of vultures if they get in your way. I won't chase any monsters down in LK, but if a pack presents an easy kill I finish them off.

I guess what I am saying is switch it up a little. Finding that Ohm from Countess is crazy luck, as the best I've ever got from her is Ist, and that was one time.

12. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

If it gets mind numbing, try to slow down and enjoy ID-ing some of the other potential goodies from the LK chests. Getting the sense of an "almost godly" item every third run gets less numbing, but ofc is less efficient, than just going for the runes. Personally, when it gets "like that" with LK I start ID-ing:
    - Blue monarchs
    - Every amulet, looking for +3light/10FCR or +50MF
    - Every ring, looking for 40MF or sick rare
    - Every SC, GC and Jewel (for obvious reasons)
    - All Circlet-type headgear, looking for sick rares or Chromatic x of Life Everlasting, 3sox 30dex helm etc
    - All barb helms, necro heads and druid pelts looking for sick staffmods combined with godly affixes. Astronomical odds for getting something which beats shako, but it IS possible.
    - Blue Dusk Shrouds, looking for jewelers of amicae/whale
    - Any eth rare weapon which upgrades to a good base (naga, dimensional blade etc). This is a stretch, so when I get there, I usually kick myself behind, and start running top efficiency again.

BKC, T72on1, tomersss and 1 other person like this.
  13. tomersss

very nice post :)

14. Darkthrone

What helped me stay motivated was simply putting on a movie or something on another screen or if you have another computer like a laptop sitting nearby. Something that doesn't require a lot of attention like a summer blockbuster. Or, if you prefer something like music, you can do that too. I also turned it into a game trying to see how fast I could really do the runs, so I concentrated on that. If something nice dropped, that was a bonus. Lastly, when you get that high rune you've been looking for (or even if it's another high rune), the feeling you get allows you to continue.

I stuck with it and have created a lot of runewords from Lower Kurast, so even if I go 500 runs without anything good it doesn't bother me anymore, because I know statistically it's one of the best places to be for runes, and even if 500 runs you get nothing, statistically speaking you'll be due for a good drop any time coming up.

But like I said, sometimes it's just luck. Last night I ran it for about 2 hours and got Pul x2, Mal, Gul, Vex, Ohm, and a Sur. It was unreal, but I know that's completely unsustainable so I will probably go another 500-700 runs without anything.

15. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

There is a lot of very good information on these forums as to how to get HRs efficiently. Personally I've expressed here how helpful that was to me and how I got the essential runewords in a matter of a couple of weeks playing only a few hours in the evenings when I found the time. That was almost exclusively from LK plus a few Travincal and cow runs. Granted, that one Jah that came from cows did help a lot with Enigma, but even for that LK alone would have been fine since Sur drops like every 10 minutes it sometimes feels like haha.

But basically yes, LK runs and that's it, you can completely forget about cubing.

And apart from the items mentioned above, LK is also really great to get skillers, jewels and gems, so it's not all about runes either.