Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mid-levels mana shortage

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by cft, Mar 16, 2005.

1. cft

cft Diabloii.Net Member

mid-levels mana shortage

Hi!

I'm building my new skelemancer in 1.10beta. (Someday I hope he will find one of the beta-Bul Kathos Rings for me.) But for now, he's untwinked (only has what items I've found in beta, since I can't access my 1.10 items)

It's going well, I'm familiar with skelemancers. Because the beta allows Corpse explosion to scale up with the number of players, I'm planning to use CE as my atk spell, to go with the skeles.

Right now, he's lvl 35, and in act 5 normal. My biggest problem is mana. Summoning lvl 25 skels costs a lot of mana, and looking down the road, CE is going to need a lot of mana.

untwinked, I don't have a Frostburn or SoJ yet. I am reluctant to put points into energy, since I'm hoping that down the road I will have enough +mana items.

Any advice for an untwinked necro to get past a mana crunch? I have some perf gems now, I can probably scrape together a couple sapphires for a helmet. Is there anywhere I might find a batch of +mana charms? Is there something I can socket into a crystal sword that will give me a lot of +mana?

Or am I better off just using a zillion blue potions, until I can hit NM Meph and knock loose some better items?

Thanks!

2. omgmir

omgmir Diabloii.Net Member

Chug the potions and bear with it, it'll get better.

3. Crispyknight

Crispyknight Diabloii.Net Member

Throw a bunch of tirs into a many socketed weapon. (they're the +2 mana/kill ones, right?) That will help tremendously.

4. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe Diabloii.Net Member

not sure it ever "gets better"

my Pat overlord who is now my Pit runner, starts with 8 Blue pots each run and downs them all plus any he finds on the way. +mana to kill doesn't work (I have been told) with kills made by your army so it's good for CE kills but not others. Just get what mana regen you can (A Nagelring shouldn't be too difficult to find) a develop a drinking problem

5. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

My summon/venomancer almost never has problems... Sure to start your army you need a lot of mana (I have a map where there's always a mana pool refiller at the very start:)) but after that it's only a couple of amps, a couple of CE's and a couple of nova's nothing real mana intensive... I drink maybe 1-2 potions each baal run, nothing to get annoyed about really, most of the time you're just standing there doing nothing waiting for your skellies to get a kill. Of course I have a Shako which helps a lot but even when I was questing through the game it was never really a problem... just pick up potions, and eventually you'll find a shako or SOJ... Of course special mention goes to Frostburns as they are relatively easy to find... Perfect sapphires sound like a very good idea... I've used sapphire plenty of times on my assorted sorceress, but don't sacrifice any resists or other goodies to get it.

Also I think HBeachbabe is right that +mana/kill doesn't work with minions:(

6. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 Diabloii.Net Member

I also have no SoJ, so I make do with Bahamut's rings on 5 chars right now. It's very nice, +100 mana, and with a Rhyme shield, or basically anything with mana regen, it helps alot!

7. Shade

Shade Diabloii.Net Member

Sapphires in helm/armour, then just ues mana potions liberally. On a high players setting you'll have more than enough replacement potions dropping to replace those you use.

You should also spend a few points in Energy. It's ok to go with base Energy on some characters if you twink heavily, but untwinked you'll need 50-100 Energy to help out. You can get by with a few less points in Vitality late-game... especially with a Skelemancer!

Oh, and also don't bring up your whole army at once. Get about 3-6 at first, then get more as your mana allows.

Of course, getting the +2 BK rings is worth it. Don't forget about runewords though - if you can put together Bramble or Call to Arms you'll find they are a teeny bit better. :)

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Once you get up your army (buy a couple of potions in town, go to act 1 and let merc kill stuff until you have your full army) there really sint that much you need mana for constantly. CE goes up in mana cost per slvl, but once its maxed, you should find that your problems go away, as your mana naturally increases + any gear with mana or faster regen you should be ok once you are in late nm.
    For now, just try to use CE when its only needed. dont bother doing it if theres only 2 monsters left, your skeles can deal with them. if you only use it in packs, you shouldnt have a problem. and a packs of monsters will generally drop enough mana potions to keep anybody in business.