Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mid Level Lightning Trapper thoughts

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Matt, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Mid Level Lightning Trapper thoughts

So, I've got some decent items to my name, figure I'll make a mid level dueler.

I havent made a MLD since Oath was released... from what I hear from other people (and common sense...) Oath duelers, mostly barbs, are DOMINATING the MLD scene. I decided making an Oather of my own would be pretty pointless, so I figure I'll make something which might have a chance at beating many of them.... a Lightning trapper!

I figure hardly any are packing much light resist, and a couple might have Tgods, but thats about it. In addition, their shields wont help them, I can lay down a nice barrage of them, and mind blast to my hearts content, if I dont kill, I'll likelt chicken them.

So, I was thinking I'd go anywhere from low 50's to maybe 62.

A very rough outline of my planned gear:
    Shako
    Heart of the Oak
    Spirit (too high str maybe) or whistans or rhyme...
    +3 traps amulet
    Unsure on rings, Probably a ravenfrost, if I can GET one, a SOJ, if not, BK ring
    Vipermagi
    Probably waterwalks
    Unsure on belt/gloves... maybe bloodfists (fhr and life)
    Belt, maybe a string of ears, again, not too sure.

Another possibility I see would be to go for 110 str, plus IK and Tgods, which would put me to 150... I'd need 6 more and I could use a spirit monarch.

charms: 9 small vitas, 10 trap charms ideally.

Oh yeah, Shadow claws and all for prebuff, and a lower resist wand on my switch.

so, thoughts?

-Matt

2. NightShade

NightShade Diabloii.Net Member

Assuming they have next to no res, I'm sure it'd chicken quite a few.

Luckily you're also much faster than they are should it not work as well...just need 2-3 highrolling lightning hits to gettem at the same time

3. Matt

Yeah, from my own experience with mid level barbs, resists were NOT high on the list. I went high life, high blocking, high damage, LOW resists and low defense. Basically, I figured on taking hits, mostly from melee characters, and figured the few casters I did encounter would be cold sorcs. I think its smart to count on ~50 light resist in normal for most of em, and that some will have Tgods.

Put that against 5 traps, (I'll have... 12 +trap skills before skillers, ideally 22 once skillers are factored in. Level 42 traps will do some damage, 5 of em has the potential to be downright nasty. Add in mind blast, and I dont think many barbs will be winning against me.

The only problem I see is teleport, or hugely stacked resists. I dont think many 50's or 60's duelers will have hugely stacked light resist, so teleporting barbs are my main concern (sorcs wont tele onto me, and can therefore be mind blasted from a safe distance, traps will kill them faster anyhow) I think therefore, I'll go max block, in case a barb DOES hit me. I think taking a full Oath WW will be pretty painful... hopefully between decent life (1k+, hopefully 1.2, 1.3k... no, I cant afford CTA), max blocking, and being quick on the juvs, I will be able to take a whirl, though I would prefer not to find out.

Anyone know where I can figure out how much damage level 42 Light sentry with two level 42 synergies will do? (Thats ~60 hard skillpoints, I figure I'll have 61 to work with, plus a hell rush, so 73. I'll probably put the last 13 in other skills... lvl 1 shadow warrior for example, Fade or BoS, the usuals.

Ahh.. that brings me to another question... which should I go for? Fade or BoS? I lean towards Fade, since once I'm out, as much as I like zipping around, I really wont be moving much, and fade will give me some much needed DR in case I get hit, and resists should I face a caster.

Merc... I'm thinking maybe a rogue with that bow that's got vigor charges on it, that way I can use fade, and still zip around ;) Act2 guys seem pretty pointless, they'll die in 1 hit, none of the auras will help me, even holy freeze, since I plan to keep people in place via mind blast.

-Matt

4. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself Diabloii.Net Member

What about the dual-wizardspike-oath-on-switch-tele-2h-ww-barb?

5. Matt

I think those are fairly rare, my main target is Oathers, and most wouldnt bump it up to 61 to use dual wiz's.

But yeah, I'd be in trouble...

-Matt

6. NightShade

I'm telling you matt. Don't go to google

Don't search for d2skills

Dont click the link.

Don't go to the assassin tab.

Just don't.

7. Matt

Thanks Shade, I'll be sure "not" to do that :)

-Matt

8. Matt

My calculations that I didnt do:
    I have enough skills for max light sentry, and maxing 2 synergies, and to put 1 in: BoS, Fade, Mind Blast and shadow warrior, with 1 left over. (or maybe it was 2...)

That leaves me with 2 skill points I'm unsure of, probably to go into fade.

So, down to the damage!

Assuming 75% light resist (probably a bit high for mid level Oathers in NM), I'll be doing ~.5 to 546 per trap, which is ~2.5 to 2728 for all of them combined. That doesnt seem like a whole ton, but conscidering that it is unblockable, AND is already considering max resists, which not all opponents will have. Lets say they've got ~40% resist instead, not unreasonable for a NM game... I'm already doing over a thousand per trap hit, if all 5 hit, they'll kill almost any dueler in the 50's.

Basically, its good damage with resists, and it'll get some ears of people with lower resists.

-Matt

9. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet Diabloii.Net Member

lvl 42 LS with 2 maxed synergies = 1-6855.

I don't really see the point in using 'HotO'/'Spirit'. Max block with a 'Spirit' shield is gonna be next to impossible, the resists will go to waste if you're using Fade, and if you really need FCR for spamming MB just throw Wizzy/shield-of-your-choice on switch. I would think dual traps claws would do you a lot better.

You'll have to check the Assasin Forum for ideal FCR and FHR breakpoints. That'll probably determine what you use for belt/gloves... maybe even boots.

10. NightShade

Lower res wand on switch is thx.

11. Matt

Level 42 LS with 2 level 42 synergies is showing up as "11-13096" for me...

Dual trap claws might do better damagewise, but I'd really prefer a shield, without one, I likely will die in 1 WW.

I think HoTO is the way to go... I dont see any claw being better overall, +3 skills, FCR, resists, 10 dex, its just nasty :) Its overall damage shoud be better, unless I could get a +2 trap/+3LS claw, but I dont think thats real likely.

I guess wizardspike or HoTO are my main weapon choices, since I've pretty much ruled out going dual claw when barbs are my main target, thats ASKING to die.

For a shield... Spirit is DAMN nice with its mods, but yeah, it does lack blocking, which is unfortunate... Its almost worth going for it, and shooting for like 50% block or something, the +2 skills, big mana, big FCR are all just incredible... I guess other shield options would be whistans for EASY blocking, rhyme (and then use another +1 skill ring, as opposed to a ravenfrost), or maybe mosers...

So anyone got any other thoughts on the shield? Spirit is AMAZING, but phat's got a point about lack of blocking, and its also got high req's.

-Matt

12. PhatTrumpet

You realize FCR does nothing for trap casting speed, right? Only claw attack speed affects trap laying. This is why I suggest the Wizzy on switch... you simply lay traps with your dual traps claws (decent block with Claw Block, maybe 50-60%) and run around the rest of the time casting Mind Blast with the Wizzy/Whitstan's switch (75% block, obviously). When you think about it, you really won't be spending all that much time laying traps since they last so long; there's not much sense in basing your build around that weapon switch.

With a shield you'd be sacrificing a ton of vitality to dexterity just to get a mildly reasonable amount of blocking. You could rather easily get the same amount of blocking by investing in Claw Block and still be able to place all those stat points into vitality.

That damage is way off... you don't get lvl 42 synergies, you get lvl 20 synergies. +skills do not affect synergy bonuses, only hard points do.

And Nightshade, I'm sure you already realize this, but anyone with half a brain will flux or go to town as soon as they see the LR curse over their heads. His only outs would be dueling people with less than half a brain, or casting the LR just as his opponent was about to get pelted with lightning bolts, so that's really up to Matt I guess. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

13. Christor

Christor Diabloii.Net Member

I calculated it and wound up with 5-6855 for lvl 42 LS and 2 maxed synergies. When synergies are calculated, only "hard" points are added, so it's actually a lvl 42 LS with 2 lvl 20 synergies. The skill planner at d2items.com doesn't have synergy bonuses capped at 20, which is probably why your numbers were so high. It actually adds in 2 lvl 42 synergies, rather than 2 lvl 20 synergies like it should.

EDit: D'oh, beaten to the punch

14. Matt

So do I still need to invest 20 points, and all +skills mean nothing for synergies, or do I need to just get it to level 20, including +skills?

15. PhatTrumpet

That's not clear enough?

16. Matt

Thanks, just makin sure :eek:

17. sonikki_

sonikki_ Diabloii.Net Member

Yea i gots a 61 lvl oath zerker barb with 321% cryptic sword, never thought about using wizz spikes, clever! :)

18. slick4hire

slick4hire Diabloii.Net Member

Something to consider for a belt is Trangs belt.

Stats:

Defense: 134-166 (varies)(Base Defense: 59-66)
    Required Level: 62
    Required Strength: 91
    Durability: 18
    +75-100 Defense (varies)
    Requirements -40%
    Cannot Be Frozen-
    Replenish Life +5
    +25-50 To Mana (varies)
    +30 Maximum Stamina
    +66 To Life

This would allow you to ditch the raven for another BK and more life/1 more skill. At level 62, you are talking about 97 life with the belt and another BK ring, making it overshadow the dex you are losing from a raven. The most you will get from that is the equivalent of 60 life. Unless, of course, you are really needing the cold absorb.

19. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

Well - it has a hefty lvl requirement...

Depends on whether he wants to go to lvl 62... or stay around the lvl 42-5x range.

20. senji

senji Banned

depends on what kind of barbs you fight. the standard ones usually have enough resist arreats + natural resist +anya quest and they mostly have tgods

i think its waste of time imo no point in beating people if you can't kill them

make a druid with lacerator then bust out a 4 fps fury if you know what im talking about hehe