Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Microsoft takes aim a own feet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Oct 13, 2006.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Microsoft takes aim a own feet

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234
    http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/ro...mportant-Windows-Vista-Licensing-Changes.aspx

No virtual machine use. . .do they really want to lose the marketshare Apple's new machines have brought?

Can only transfer a CD Key once. . .bye bye home-brew users.

No ISOs allowed on drive. . .umm scared of Linux much? Seriously, **** that, don't tell me what I can and cannot have on my machine.

Limited network device sharing. . .OK I won't by anymore things using your wonderful product because I can't use my own damn printer.

Microsoft is trying to get people to buy the higher end systems. . .businesses won't do it, geeks will get around it, the average person will be pissed off when it effects them.

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

This just makes me not want to use it even more, not even taking into account the insane requirements that it needs. I'll stick with XP until Linux can handle games.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

LOL, so glad I have no desire to upgrade. Next they'll be disabling the keyboard because it's too easy for hackers and pirates to use.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Businesses have different licensing plans and pay through the nose for Win seats to begin with; this crap isn't going to affect them. You're right on the latter two things, although I imagine the majority of "average people" are going to get Vista preinstalled on a new machine and won't run into many of the problems (networking issues, ISOs, and so on).

5. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i guess microsoft got tired of trying to screw everyone else and now ther screwing themselves

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

pwned by the double post.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Was going to say it myself, but figured it was a lost cause.

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

i'm convinced the only cool thing about Vista is the aesthetically pleasing look.

9. ModeratelyConfused

Which many people will end up disabling, because you will basically need a high end gaming system to have all the eye candy running.

10. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I just don't get it...

The more I learn about computers, the more Microsoft frustrates me, especially Windows.

I can't say I'm a huge Mac fan, but I may be converting eventually...unless I learn Linux really well and become a computer geek.

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

If y'all are scandalized by this, sorry, but you're either naive or something else. Read what else happens if you trigger the new version of the WGA trap. The hubris coming from Redmond might even be up a couple of notches, since they think that Vista's sales will match or surpass those of XP.

I assume you mean "handle" newer Windows-based games? It won't happen, sorry. That's what DirectX is for, after all - to throw caltrops in the path of Linux adoption. Even though most graphics & sound card manufacturers make sure they have Linux-friendly code, you won't see nVidia bending over backwards to help game companies make their products crossover capable. Only when the manufacturer has an interest in doing so (Quake, America's Army, etc.) will you see compatible code written. Besides, most people who don't want to waste the $450 or so that goes to a separate purchase of Windows + Office certainly won't spend money on the Linux commercial WINE packages required to run Windows games with any grace.

That's why I still have an XP partition for Guild Wars and Adobe Pro., plus any other new stuff I'd have to use on Windows for work (like Cisco VPN). Anything that runs on '9X, of course, already can work on Linux through WINE - if you're willing to spend time tweaking.

12. ModeratelyConfused

I hadn't though of the whole Directx issue, and you're right about the hubris. I will not use Vista for several reasons, even if it was given to me free of charge.

I shudder whenever I read/hear that word. Those were nasty. For those that don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop They were used to cripple or kill horses.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Microsoft is right, it can continue to shaft the legions of computer-illiterate saps who buy the majority of its products as hard as it likes. What are they going to do, install Linux? They have trouble finding the "on" switch.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Not as nasty as some of the stuff they tortured people with. They were ingeniously designed.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I disagree; I don't think "Bob" and "Clippy" weren't ingenious designs at all. :grin:

16. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

Wow, as an early Computer Science major, Microsoft makes me want to use my new-found powers for evil. Oh well, we do all of our work on a Unix server through Solaris 9.0 workstations. No Windows nonsense here.

17. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Until someone starts selling ready to use linux computers on a large scale.

"It's a bit cheaper and has a program just like word. You can get the internet. Also, you will never ever get a virus or anything like that, so no need to spend a fortune on anti-virus software. Which one do you want?"

They built this ownage for themselves. All it takes is for someone to press the "go" button.

18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Sorry, what was that again?

19. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I do find it amusing that it is sold exculsively at Wal-fart.

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Winner! :jig: