Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Michael Moore vs. Dubya

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Intolerance, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Any different from the stuff conservatives spew? I take both sides with a grain of salt.

3. Stark_

Stark_ IncGamers Member

I've heard the story before, but that's the first time I've seen anything resembling evidence to back it up. Reasons #650-663 why Bush shouldn't be allowed to run anything bigger than a sandbox.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I don't see anything leftist about Moore, he just complains, thats his routine, it will appeal to some group at any given time, it doesn't matter who as long as they have money

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

6. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Inconclusive, at best. But don't let that stop all you conspiracy theorists.

And btw, the "not observed at this post" does not mean he was AWOL. It actually means "Was not present for evaluation", which is exactly what they put on the evaluation form when you're transferred during an evaluation period. And furthermore, the place he was transferred to flew a different type of plane than he was trained to fly, and thus he couldn't fly them. Would you take a physical if you knew you wouldn't be flying anyway? I'm not sure about you, but pissing in a cup is not my idea of a good time. But hey, everyone's different . . .

Only one thing is certain: Bush used his family influence to jump ahead of 100,000 other applicants in line for the National Guard.

Not a distinguished military career to be sure, but not AWOL either.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If I were in the military and they told me to show up and take a physical, I would. The military kinda likes it when you follow orders, or so I've heard.

It looks to me like Bush just didn't show up for a year and disobeyed at least one direct order, according to the documents from llad's first link. Is not showing up being AWOL? Seems like it, but I'd defer to someone with more knowledge in the matter.

Nice to know that such a gung-ho, kick 'em in the nuts sort of fellow was once as oppposed to actually serving in the military as I am.

8. advil

advil IncGamers Member

that description only applies when he can order other people with guns to do the nut-kicking.

9. Rocks_Off

Rocks_Off IncGamers Member

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Sure, Moore is about as fair and balanced as Fox News or Sean Hannity. But is it really OK just to show up for duty whenever you feel like it?

It's not a good precedent for a guy who is all about law, order, following through on committments, and oppressing the people. Come to think of it, neither is dodging the drug issue. Bush twists and turns like some sort of twisty, turny thing.

11. Rocks_Off

Or this one: http://www.donaldsensing.com/2004_01_01_archive.html#107495313186595111

12. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Ah, so it's just semantics. Silly me, it's alright now folks! He didn't desert, they just stopped looking for him! Whew.

I'm also wondering what Clark needs to backtrack from

13. Rocks_Off

LOL, Damascus, way to read my friend.

14. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Doesn't matter. Just the fact that he will be backtracking on something, and currently appears to be nothing but fluff will drive him off the campaign trail. His "win"* in Oklahoma is meaningless.

*It was a virtual tie with Edwards, who didn't spend much time at all in the state. Clark will be out of the race within a month.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Rocks, I'm not calling Bush a deserter or AWOL. I'm questioning why he got to show up at his discretion after a 7 month break and why no one seemed to know what he was doing. That's not what I'd expect from the military. Do they just lose track of people so easily?

Yeah, I know; ellipses. :p

edit: Quick thought before this goes down the crapper. Moore is biased and there are a myriad of reasons not to vote for Bush besides the military service issue.

16. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Alright, here we go!

Cause the more I'm reading this, the more it makes me smile.

Facts which he then promptly refuses to give. Instead, he decides to define desertion later on.

We must have missed the "thought police" swearing in ceremony. Why Clark is supposed to give a rat's behind about what Moore said about Bush I'll never know.

Firstly, he is apparently like everyone else in this country and "is not bothered at all" with the charge. Secondly, he didn't say he wasn't interested in the facts, he said they weren't material. That's like me telling you I have ten toes, and when you ask me what it has to do with this conversation I tell you you're not interested in the facts.

After which the author then goes to to explain that desertion is basically a conviction. "Desertion is a prosecutorial finding after the absent service member has been returned to military control."

He then goes on to make fun of Kleiman for saying "Just because you aren't convicted of desertion doesn't mean you didn't desert" Afterwards he goes to tell us that you can leave for years (as long as you keep your uniform) and not be a deserter. But since Bush never told anyone he might leave forever, it's ok. No harm no foul?

There's two main points here. Did Bush stay like he said, or did he leave like it's been accused. Two, why do Moore's statements reflect on Clark? Because he doesn't lynch him?

17. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

You guys don't really think laws were meant to apply to the super-rich and privledged, do you?

I've heard all the propaganda and lies about how Bush didn't go AWOL, didn't snort coke, didn't get caught driving drunk, didn't deceive shareholders, etc., etc.

All those protestations might hold water except that they went after Clinton with millions of taxpayers' dollars on far less evidence than exists regarding Bush' transgressions, and they did it over "crimes" far lesser than what Bush has obviously done.

Besides, Moore isn't a leftist. He just looks leftist to right-wing extremists.

18. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Uh, what? Then where exactly would you put him on the political scale?

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, and Ann Coulter isn't rightwing, she just appears that way to left-wing extremists, right? :lol:

20. advil

advil IncGamers Member

who cares if moore's a leftist?

should we forgive bush his 7 month "unexcused absence" or whatever ya want to call it because the only reason it's in the news again is just because some fringe political comedian revived the issue?

the messenger's irrelevant.