Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mhl12's first d2 forum guide: pvp classic bone necro!!! if

Discussion in 'Classic' started by mhl12, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

mhl12's first d2 forum guide: pvp classic bone necro!!!

Alright, first things first. This is a guide for a classic pvp bone necromancer. Classic and expansion necros are a lot different. IMO classic is a lot harder even though there are no enigmas, hotos, homos, etc. Those are all very common on bnet and can be traded easily. However, a classic necro not only relies on uniques, he also needs very good rares and multiple different equipment changes for different opponents. Anyway, we’ll discuss about that later.

Also a warning, in order for classic bone necro to survive against other chars, he may have to use different techniques which may be considered bm (bad manners) to extreme legit players. For example, he will have to stack a lot of resists which some people don’t like. So if you are one of those players, theres nothing I can say for you. This guide was created by me, you can follow it if you want.

Another thing, this guide may seem quite complicated to some ppl, so I would advise to read it from start to finish instead of jumping around.

These are the end stats that you want for your necro:

Skills:
    20 bone spirit
    20 bone spear
    20 bone prison
    20 bone wall
    1 bone armor
    1 corpse explosion
    all the rest in teeth (you will need one pt in teeth as a prerequisite.)

note: you also may want to put some point in curses or clay golem. I would suggest you receive those points from item bonuses from your wand. The ideal curses for bone necro would be iron maiden and decrepify and one pt in clay golem. Again, I would recommend that you get those skills from your wand.

Stats:
    Strength- 30-45 depending on your gear (45 is max but you will have to rely on gear mods for more strength)
    Dexterity- none
    Vitality- all (by the end around lvl 80, you should have around 400 pts in this)
    Energy- none (this is tricky, b/c you need all the life you can get so you should not put any pts in energy. Therefore, you will have to drink a lot of pots, which is easier now since you can buy them from npcs)

Early stages: levels 1-30

The beginning of a necro’s career is always tough. So that’s why I suggest people to play twinked although untwinked is possible. You will have to go melee a lot. Hopefully, you can join a party and get some extra help from other people while you level. Put one point in teeth, bone armor, and corpse explosion. When you get to level 24, start stacking points into bone spear. Now, you’ll start kicking butt for a bit. At lvl 30, switch over to bone spirit. That’s when the real fun begins.

End stages: levels 30 and beyond

There really are no other stages for a necro after lvl 30. Just lvl as fast as you can. First put one point in bone wall and bone prison. Then go on and max bone spirit. Third, max bone spear. Then bone prison, and bone wall. After that if you have any points left, but the rest in teeth. Or, if you really want to and cant find a wand that gives you these skill bonus mods, put a point in clay golem, iron maiden and decrepify. Note that you will be wasting a lot of skill point for the prerequisites.

Gear:

Wand- hopefully, you can find or trade for a really nice rare wand. Try to get one with +2 necro skills, 20% fcr, and +1 to clay golem and decrepify.

For poorer players, go for ume’s lamant.

Helm- the only choice here is worm skull unless you have a really good rare helm with awesome stats

Gloves- magefists, no question here

Ok from here on, the gear list splits in half. One is for pvm you will have to lvl. Joining parties will not keep you alive all the time b/c a lot enemies can kill you without resist gear in one hit in hell difficulty. We’ll start with pvm gear first:

Pvm:

Shield- 3 socket shield (kite is the best) w/ 3 perfect diamonds

Armor- a good rare light/mage plate with useful stats (resists, life, strength mods, etc.)

Boots- rare boots with faster run/walk along with resists

Belt- rare belt with useful stats (resists, life, strength mods, etc.)

Amulet- rare amulet with +2 necro skills along with resists

Rings- 2 rare faster cast rings

Ok, this is for pvp now. You will have to change different sets of gear for different opponents. Hey no one said that a classic bone necro was gonna be easy!

Necro vs. barbs:
    Get a good fast block shield along with twitchthroe. Use bone wall, NOT bone prison. Then use the deadly iron maiden when he tries to get through you wall. Of course, this is bm to some ppl, so if they ask you to stop, be nice and use bone spirit instead. If they call you a newb or something else, do whatever you want. lol

Necro vs Hammerdins:
    Make sure you have fast running boots on. Run around and make sure you’ll not in his hammer field. Use bone prison this time along with bone spirit.

Necro vs Cold sorcs:
    Switch your armor for Hawkmail and put on a 3 socket p sapphire shield. Put on as much cold resist as you can. You should be able to tank the orbs. Blizz is harder though. Teleporting sorcs can be annoying. So use bone spear which is faster. Hopefully, one of them will hit and stop the sorc from teleporting.

Necro vs Fire sorcs:
    This is tough especially if you don’t have the right gear. You have to have these gear if you want to tank them. Put on hotspurs and the whole Iritha’s set. Same attack strategy for cold sorc.

Necro vs Light sorcs and FOHers
    Same as the others. Stack light resists. Put on a 3 socket p topaz shield and they are gone. Same attack strategy for cold sorc.

Necro vs Necro:
    Theres really not much I can give you help on for this. It’s either pure luck or a test of skill. Luck by meaning the other player has a poorly built necro. Skill meaning that both are really good and it’s the question of who outmaneuvers who.

There really aren’t that many other builds on bnet for classic. You don’t really see many melee pallys, or amazons.

By level 80, your bone necro should be practically done and you will have one of the best dueling chars on bnet! Remember, the beginning of this build will be tough but it will be all worth it in the end.

Well, this is the end of my guide. Hoped you enjoyed reading and not confusing you too much. lol

Acknowledgements:
    Special thanks to my good friend Xuan for giving me the advice and expertise for this great build on classic!

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

You're going to start playing again. I just know it...

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

nah, too busy with school and grades.. maybe after i graduate in that summer before college when i can relax. lol

anyway, any questions, comments, advice, criticism and other stuff is welcome.

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Nice...

I sent Elly a PM with the link to the stickied guides section

5. BigBearCat

BigBearCat IncGamers Member

1. As for the wand, 2skills/20fcr/3spear is the 1st choice. 20 fcr is not necessary if u have good cast rings and amy to obtain 48+% fcr. It is godlike if such wand also add CG and Decrepify. I prefer to spend 1 pt in CG since it only need 1 pt-no extra passing pt. For decrepify to agianst speederbar/chargedin, ume or a rare one is good enough. For those crazy on extra high fcr, use uniq bone shield to reach 75+%, use uniq blade to reach 105+%.
    2. Why not mention the very important issue of fhr in PvP? 56+% fhr is necessary and not difficult to reach. If u have good rare belt24/helm10/boots10/shield17 with the uniq leather armor, 86+% is not dream anymore.

6. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

Where'd my writeup of NvN go?

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Looks like some posts were eaten. Hopefully they can find the right back-up to reload. Otherwise, you'll have to re-write it. Did you keep a copy?

8. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

No, it was just an example of a strategy section the original poster could use improvement on. I might write it up again.

9. ethos

ethos IncGamers Member

Nice short guide btw.
    What about Blinkbats? I think that is much better because it makes hitting the fhr breakpoints a lot easier, and frw is essential for a bone nec. Fhr saves your butt very often vs fb sorcs and in nvn. I would also reccomend going base str, as it is fairly easy to get enough +str to wear all your items. Your heaviest piece of equipment should be magefists, but even if you choose to use a rare grim helm/shield it shouldn't be a problem, since:
    rings, can give 15 str each
    belt can give 20 str.
    Also, bone prison can be very useful if you dont decide to be BM and cover yourself in walls. It forces barbs to ww, which is slower than running. And as a necro you shouldnt have to resort to 3topaz/saph shields because once you practise a little sorcs at least will be a pushover.

10. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

although blinkbat has twice as much fhr as twitch, i still think twitch is a more viable armor than blink b/c of the increase chance of block along with the strenght and dex bonus. But if you wanna use blink, go ahead with it.

and yes, i mentioned that bone prison is the alternative for bone wall if you dont want to be bm.

Finally, you actually do need 3 socket topaz/saph shields b/c you dont really have any resists without those. And without resists, you're pretty much dead against sorcs.

11. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

As far as FCR is concerned, I'd rather hit the 75% bp than just hit the 48% Bp

So I'd got Shard, Mfists, and then have fcr on my ammy. 2 Soj's plus the skill bonus on your ammy should be enough, if you want more, then go ahead and get a wormskull or a tarn.

With a High b/a, you can get away with having 50% block or so, and anyways, being a caster, you shouldn't be trying to tank in the first place.

12. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

Hi, i'm making a PvM bone nec (and i want to dabble in some PvP) and i was wondering whether it is worth it to try to get the 75 fcr bp using a + skill/fcr wand, or would it just be better to use a shard. I can't afford sojs, atleast for the moment, so fcr rings would be my top choice either way. If circlets can't get fcr in classic (can they?) then it would be impossible to achieve this goal even with 10 fcr on all jewelery.

13. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

there are no circulets in classic i think. I would say go for wand with fcr and +skill. Remember that its very hard to solo hell with a bone necro. There are too many enemies and you dont have a massive skill such as orb or fireball. I would recommend to party up with ppl online.

14. Still-Xey-Lover

Alright thanks. I found a +1 nec wand with 20 fcr, and am using twitch, vulpine bone shield of deflection, skull-sapphire helm, eye of etlich, some crummy gloves (mages are a pain!), 32 mana fcr ring, 10 mf 10 fcr ring, and gorefoot. I've found lots of this in norm cows and hopefully i'll find mages in nightmare, i'm level 33 and i already can beat people that are level 50. Once i get decrep i'll be great :D. I put 10 or 20 pts in energy because i was having a horrible time with mana and i wasn't expecting any nice gear, this is the first time i have ever done this with a char. Do you think this character will be able to successfully PvP later on if i upgrade some of his gear? I have 30 str and base dex btw. Thanks in advance. And i'm on east ladder if that helps...

15. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

gear

twitch is unnessessary IMO, if you cast walls on top of yourself you can tank ww's

the only switch gear i usually use is wand/shard and +maxres gear
    3sock shields are neccessary only if you don't have godly gear.
    for cold u could have
    69cr shield, 30cr helm, 15 armor (hawkmail), 30 belt, 40 boots, 40 wand,
    60 both rings,50 amulet.

fire is obvious choose from noko or hspurs or both.. i would choose hspurs cuz boots cant have very many attributes anymore.

Lightning same as cold except hawkmail could be replaced with a rare if you wanted.. but fohers are so ez that even if you have low resist with convic you should be able to beat them.

changing gear is fine for 1v1 but if you are in games with alot of ppl host with you having gear more diverse is important.

dueling strategy,
    I think IM is cheap so I never use. against slower barbs and short ranged weapons I can usually just dodge. against speeders i put bone walls next to myself so their dmg is divided among all the walls and me.

sorcs would use a +2 20fcr with +3spear and possibly +3teeth and stack resists. I use all 3 bone skills against sorcs you will be able to tank fairly well.
    the only sorcs that will be hard are the ones that are extremely good at avoiding your attacks.

against hammeradins shard is very important. so you can keep casting prisons and spirits. you can use eyeless but like i said i like to have 1 size fits all gear.
    also try to keep moving to avoid the desynching charge.

im not going to go through all dueling types.
    I dont use any curses but decrep is a good 1.
    necros are fun.

16. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

if ur on east ladder i can help you out a lil, with items and help with classic

Fred

17. Still-Xey-Lover

Oh yeah, and as a side note, ume's has +2 nec skills, 20 fcr and 2-3 to decrep, and 40 mana. It doesn't get too much better unless you need another curse (iron maiden), in which case you can alternate wands and find a rare with iron maiden. Umes appears to be rather expensive though.

18. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

umes? expensive? any unique items that are not sojs apart from POSSIBLY high defence silk or goldskin or perfect tarn, are worth nada.

19. Still-Xey-Lover

Hmmph..then maybe some guy was being a jerk. He had a collection of "godly" wands so to say, SargentXommando, and he liked my iron maiden wand (uses mh too i'm guessing), he told me to add items, then he looked on a mule and found an iron maiden wand with skills + fcr. Everyone says uniques aren't worth anything but when i try to trade for one i end up not having anything to offer the person because they want something specific and not too common.

20. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

umes is very cheap on classic. There are many wands out there that are far better. Those are rare wands with +skills to bone spells, fcr, and curses.