Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF'r from scrtach

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lothos, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

MF'r from scrtach

I am wondering what is the best class/build for pure MF'ing to support other characters. Is there a particular spot to stick with when MF'ing in a support standpoint? Do people stick with their primary MF'r for the entire time or do you use a char to MF mid level stuff to get main characters into hell to find their own gear? Haven't seen a generic MF maker guide yet.

2. ranger03

ranger03 IncGamers Member

For me, the definite choice will be a Sorc.. Either meteor/orb or blizz will serve u fine (although i dont have a blizz sorc). Sorc makes such a good mfer cos of teleport.. This will save u ample time to get to boss such as andy, meph, pindle etc... Just get decent cast rate and some practise with ur tele skills and u'll be on ur way! :thumbsup:

Been using my meteor/orb sorc for mfing thru out... now shes lvl90 already.. and I dont see any reason why i will change n make another mfer..
    However, I decided to make a strafezon for running the pits.. (just for fun and variety sake) although my sorc can clear it in 6-7min i guess..

3. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

I presently have an 81 Meteor/FO sorc but didn't seem to do enough damage in hell yet to do the difficult runs like Meph yet. I tend to run FO left and FB right when running pit runs as metero just takes so damn long to come down and my merc sucks. Is there a particularly good spot to run for good weapon drops?

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

nm meph with a barb is best to support new chars for me, if you are pure untwinked, unrushed, etc.

it seems though you have a decent mf'er already. if you are mainly going for weapons, i would suggest the pits and gathering gems for cubing on top of what already drops. so far i have 4 cruel war pikes, 2 or so ferocious wp's for my mercs, all 1-2 sockets.

you can also do countess runs for runes (although you get better runes faster from hellforge.) this is how i got my first "good" wep, a crescent moon legend sword.

however, in .10, i've had a lot of success with a5su's + necro or zon. my necro went with full mf gear (@600) and picked up alot. i used this to equip a buriza/LF zon, and she got even more. right now, i'm using a blizz sorc for meph runs. i got better stuff from a5su's actually, but i'm getting more midlevel items (shako, guardian angel, etc.)

5. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

well, all my characters are 70+ now and all seem to be lacking something and its always different. I can do anything in NM without fear of dying, but time to do is always high. Only my sorc has progressed beyond act1 in hell due to item issues. Traders are never interested in what I have for what I need from them. I'm always looking for +skills it seems, but for my meleer's it seems CB and high damage are the most important.

6. Superhal

the odds of getting any particular item is astronomical. the best way to get specific eq is to trade. the trade forums here is a good place to start, although not quick. but, it will give you a good idea about what value items have.

7. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

It's not a matter of a specific item, but more along the lines of something better than what I have. It's like I hit a brick wall when it comes to drops. Everything my characters have I found myself, so I feel kinda proud about that.

8. Superhal

if you want to find everything yourself, the only place is baalruns, pit, or other lvl 85 places.

i like to use specialized characters (the more chars you have, the more hellforge chances. :)) so i use:
    hybrid zon= a5su's, 1-2 minutes.
    blizz sorc=meph, 1-2 minutes, including finding the stairs.
    cl/fo sorc = countess runner, 2-5 minutes.

i'm thinking about making a baal runner, but the gains are too small for the time involved.

9. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I do the specialized running thing as well, eventually most of my chars end up spending quite a bit of their time MFing between the usual leveling action:

Lightning Zon: Eldritch and CS/Dia
    CB/FO Sorc: Countess and Andariel
    Meteor Sorc: Mephisto
    Tomb Reaver WW Barb: The Pit and River of Flame (so oldschool)
    Trapsin: Pindle and Baal Team MF
    Avenger: DClone ~~

Currently thinking about building a Holy Bolt / Sanctuary Pala so that my Trapsin can get a break from running Pindle

10. ranger03

ranger03 IncGamers Member

This happened to me actually... At lvl81, i was still not very gd at running meph (dying quite frequently) and pindle... I would reali recommend running pindle or pits if possible as these 2 places reali helps u to lvl up at the same time, pick up some stuff.. Maybe you would like to post the eqt, stats, skills, merc eqt, lvl etc... Perhaps we could see the crux of ur problem?

At first I used to let my necro be the pindle and pits runner.. However, once I realised my sorc is stronger and fast enough, I retired him.. So my sorc is doing meph, pindle, andy, countess, pits.. pretty covered I feel..

Just my 2cents

11. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

Get out of nm.. wasting time there:

1) Make a blizz sorc. Lvl until lvl 80ish.
    2) Start to do hell meph runs. Make sure u have 63 fcr for tele thru duriance two (this is the hardest part). Use moat trick. Ask around if u dunno how. Most people knows how to use it. Do around 50-100 runs per day. Can use merc to tank meph once u get right gear (tals helm, gladiators bane, thresher) for merc (holy freeze or defiance).
    3) Blizz sorc kills meph much faster than orb/meteor. You should aim between 50 - 70 secs per run.
    4) You should be gather a sizeable wealth to outfit most of your character within 2-3 weeks.
    5) You can move on to run other boss runs like andy/ pindle and other higher TC areas like mausoleum and crypt.

Why meph and not the rest? Becos it although it is lower Treasure Class, it has higher chances to drop sets and uniques. Fastest way to accumulate mid-class wealth fast. Trial and tested.

Good luck :thumbsup:

12. travismcgee

travismcgee IncGamers Member

I have made the experience that the Merc makes a huge difference....after finding a bonehew in the ancient tunnels my merc´s damage tripled and he is now able to tank hell meph nicely (maybe 1 purple needed) for my CL/FO sorc. She died only once in the last 30 runs and that was due to a fanatism Wyand she triggered by accident.

So I would suggest doing pit/mausoleum/ancient tunnels for a while because you get decent exp (went from 79 to 84 while doing it) and chances are you find useful gear for both merc and your sorc.

13. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Your merc needs life leach as well if he's to survive. Generally I find with one amn in bonehew and crown of thieves he only dies when he gets Iron Maidened.

14. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

Guess I will make a new sorc then after all. I'll have to check on the gear though as I never write it down or remember it all.

15. brucemo

brucemo IncGamers Member

Something that wouldn't work in 1.09, that kind of works in 1.10, is mf'ing with a trap assassin.

BoS lets you run pretty fast, and LS + DS can clear a lot of little dudes. You don't need a lot of +skills to survive, so you could use cheap mf gear and not do too badly.

bruce