MFOlympics Find Thread

luskan

Diabloii.Net Member
I won't have any more time to MF before it's over, so it's pretty safe for me to post what I found (nothing that'll even come close to winning). In no particular order:

luskan - 1.10 lvl 85 (pit)
Number of Items : 4

1: Eschuta's Temper
Eldritch Orb

One-Hand Damage: 18 to 50
Durability: 29 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 72
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Unidentified
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x98b8a33b
+24 to Energy
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
40% Faster Cast Rate
+20% to Fire Skill Damage
+17% to Lightning Skill Damage

2: Dracul's Grasp
Vampirebone Gloves

Defense: 125
Durability: 7 of 14
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 76
Unidentified
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0x8ce28f38
+13 to Strength
+90% Enhanced Defense
9% Life stolen per hit
+6 Life after each Kill
25% Chance of Open Wounds
5% Chance to cast Level 10 Life Tap on striking

3: Andariel's Visage
Demonhead

Defense: 376
Durability: 13 of 20
Required Strength: 102
Required Level: 83
Unidentified
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xee39f049
+27 to Strength
+143% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist -30%
Poison Resist +70%
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
8% Life stolen per hit
20% Increased Attack Speed
+2 to All Skill Levels
15% Chance to cast Level 15 Poison Nova when struck
Level 3 Venom (3/20 Charges)

4: Windhammer
Ogre Maul

Two-Hand Damage: 248 to 342
Durability: 35 of 60
Required Strength: 225
Required Level: 68
Mace Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Unidentified
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x7a139075
+223% Enhanced Damage
60% Increased Attack Speed
150% Damage to Undead
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
33% Chance to cast Level 22 Twister on striking

I didn't get screenies, hope nobody minds.
Actually the best item I found doesn't count, as I got it the day before the tourney started:Death Cleaver :rant:

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
Spent most of my running on Mephisto. Kept getting killed doing WSK/Baal runs (mostly by those stupid gloams). Here's my finds:

Vildecor - 1.10 Mephisto
Andariel's Visage
Naj's Puzzler
Thunderstroke
Ormus's Robes
Gimmershred
Ethereal Edge

Laying of Hands
Dangoon's Teaching
Immortal King's Stone Crusher

Vildecor - 1.10 Lvl 85 areas (WSK)
Doombringer
Razor's Edge

Vildecor - 1.10 Baal
Wolfhowl

ShriekingWillow

Diabloii.Net Member
Looks like Buster's been running Pindle as much as I have. As I stated before, I haven't been muling off every eligible find, only the stuff I consider sweet items, but here's what I've got so far:

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload9/MFO.jpg

ShriekingWillow 1.10 Pindleskin

Corona
Colossus Blade
Glorious Axe
Berserker Axe
x2 Both Ethereal ( Screw you Pindle! )
Winged Harpoon
Shadow Plate
Bone Visage
Kraken Shell
Cryptic Axe
Scourge ( Horizon's )
Arghh!!

Sacred Armor x2
Lacquered Plate

I also found a Hydra Bow but I'm not entering it into the competition. I've searched for this thing for 2 friggin years and I couldn't stand the thought of losing it after only a week. Hope this isn't a big deal, I still have plenty of prime items. Of course if I find a second one, it would be entered.

One of my sweetest drops last night is also not contestworthy. Pindle dropped me a Shimmering small charm of Vita, +5 all resists, +20 life. What a sweet little charm.

Hmmm...so looks like I'm in third place with a Corona. I'm convinced that I'll find a Death's Web or Mang Song's by the end of this though. I've gotten 9 TC 87 Weapon uniques so far if you count 2 failed Mythical Swords and 1 failed Scissors Suwayyah. Still haven't run the Pit at all, Pindle is a fickle and jealous mistress.

Mr_McGee

Diabloii.Net Member
Mr_McGee 1.10 Meph

In order of rank

Warshrike
Firelizard's Talons

Naj's Puzzler
Stoneraven
Arachnid Mesh
Blackoak Shield
Hellslayer
Thunderstroke
The Reaper's Toll
Flamebellow
Demon's Arch
x2
Rune Master
Ormus' Robes
Djinn Slayer
Windhammer
x2
Bonehew
Arioc's Needle
x2
Dark Adherent x2
Immortal King's Stone Crusher x3

The ATMA stats of my best item

Warshrike
Winged Knife
Throw Damage: 70 to 119
One-Hand Damage: 82 to 107
Quantity: 200
Required Dexterity: 142
Required Strength: 45
Required Level: 75
Dagger Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Unidentified
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x68970715
+207% Enhanced Damage
30% Increased Attack Speed
50% Deadly Strike
Piercing Attack [50]
25% Chance to cast Level 9 Nova on striking

Spook_Cell

Diabloii.Net Member
I find it very odd that tons of people are dropping out of the MFO, the whole point was you mf and you had a chance of getting some good items and loosing some. The contestants should have managed their time better or simply have entered themselves in less categories.

And as for witholding items you have found, I don't know if it is actually against any rules but then anyone can just withold certain items because they would rather keep them. If you didn't want to loose this or that item you could have just mf'ed on your own time and not enter the contest.

As for me I barely found anything after many a run but I will have to post my finds and run the chance of having some of them purloined but not much I can do about it. I'll post my finds a little latter.

</rant>

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
ShriekingWillow said:
I also found a Hydra Bow but I'm not entering it into the competition. I've searched for this thing for 2 friggin years and I couldn't stand the thought of losing it after only a week. Hope this isn't a big deal, I still have plenty of prime items. Of course if I find a second one, it would be entered.
That's not the point of the MFO. Anyone entering it knows the risk they take of losing their best items. You could always do what others have done in the past and *beg* for mercy from the winner ;)

--T

ShriekingWillow

Diabloii.Net Member
Hakai_no_Tenshi said:
That's not the point of the MFO. Anyone entering it knows the risk they take of losing their best items. You could always do what others have done in the past and *beg* for mercy from the winner ;)

--T
Well I specifically asked about this point earlier. Whether or not we were required to enter all our finds or not, and how strict the rules were on this. As I knew if I finally found a Windforce I wouldn't be willing to lose it. The replies seemed somewhat ambivalent, there didn't seem to be any specific rule about entering EVERY single item. The Windforce isn't even my highest ranked item, so the only point in entering it is as a possible prize. Which ( and this may seem like sour grapes ) would go to somebody who found a Mighty Scepter, an item whose placement I've obviously been arguing against. Sour grapes or not there is certainly some irony there.

I don't begrudge Bob his first place position, and would happily hand over the Corona, or any other item I find to congratulate him on his victory. But the Windforce is simply too important to me, it has been the one thing I have wanted in the thousands of levels of chars since the X Pack came out. Not sure how else to put it. Basically in life there are things you are willing to gamble, and those you aren't. I'd gamble a paycheque, but not my right hand.

As far as the contest goes, my interpretation was that it was just a friendly contest to see what kind of cool stuff we can all find in an intense week of magic finding. With much respect and a few choice prizes being earned by the winners. If I'm wrong about this ( this is my first MF Olympics ) then I'm open to changing my view on the subject.

Besides, I still have 3 days. I bet I can find a second one.

Ti-Ben

Diabloii.Net Member
With the stuff you got you could probably trade for another Wf if you lose it, and might I had, quite easily too. :scratch: You've found some incredible stuff there.

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
ShriekingWillow said:
Well I specifically asked about this point earlier. Whether or not we were required to enter all our finds or not, and how strict the rules were on this. As I knew if I finally found a Windforce I wouldn't be willing to lose it. The replies seemed somewhat ambivalent, there didn't seem to be any specific rule about entering EVERY single item. The Windforce isn't even my highest ranked item, so the only point in entering it is as a possible prize. Which ( and this may seem like sour grapes ) would go to somebody who found a Mighty Scepter, an item whose placement I've obviously been arguing against. Sour grapes or not there is certainly some irony there.
I've been concerned about how this particular MFO was being run because there were too many things which were being left in limbo. I would ask Booya to clarify any outstanding issues to prevent confusion.

I don't begrudge Bob his first place position, and would happily hand over the Corona, or any other item I find to congratulate him on his victory. But the Windforce is simply too important to me, it has been the one thing I have wanted in the thousands of levels of chars since the X Pack came out. Not sure how else to put it. Basically in life there are things you are willing to gamble, and those you aren't. I'd gamble a paycheque, but not my right hand.

As far as the contest goes, my interpretation was that it was just a friendly contest to see what kind of cool stuff we can all find in an intense week of magic finding. With much respect and a few choice prizes being earned by the winners. If I'm wrong about this ( this is my first MF Olympics ) then I'm open to changing my view on the subject.
Not quite. I guess your being relatively new to the forums means that you don't know how the past ones have been run. The MFO originated in the SPTN forums a couple years ago and the rules there in all things are very strict. Anyway, the first one we ran there was rather successful so a few people here decided to hold one too. I believe Chaos ran the first one and Shade organized the second one (need to confirm those). Even though they have all been friendly competitions, the rules were strict with respect to prize allocation. Let's just say that certain events on this forum caused a lot of the old school members to migrate to the "other place" where another MFO was recently concluded a few weeks ago. I guess that was the impetus for this one to be held.

I've been following this particular MFO and it seems to me that many of the "old school" rules that were designed to prevent the current trends I'm seeing, are not being enforced as they should. If this particular MFO is not to be based on the "old school" rules, then I would like Booya to make a comment about this as he is the one running it. However, the spirit of the MFO is

1) Start the competition at a given date and end on a given date
2) List all your qualifying finds without holding back any you may prize.
3) Have FUN (this is important)
4) Follow the rules and give unto the winner what he is due (most important) or else, why would one register in the first place.

Besides, I still have 3 days. I bet I can find a second one.
The problem arises if you don't. Changing and/or reinterpreting the rules midway (especially by a contestant) does not make for a good competition. There have been many instances in the MFO where the winner takes pity on you because you really wanted to keep a particular item or the winner simply gives it back. There were many examples of this at the "other place" as well as in the SPTN. It is the great sense of community that we have as well as our camaraderie as brothers-in-arms that that enables us to do this. I would hope you reconsider things in the spirit of the competition as it was designed. While no-one can force you to give up the Windforce, you also have to think of your reputation in the next MFO.

I know how painful it can be to lose an item you really want. I lost a Grandfather in one of the 1.09 MFOs and this was when GFs were *highly* prized. Others have lost much more valuable items but it's all in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Anyway, I hope you reconsider and I hope that the winner also considers your position when it is time to choose a prize.

--T

p.s: I really hope Booya steps in to clear things up as it's his show.

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Hakai_no_Tenshi said:
I've been concerned about how this particular MFO was being run because there were too many things which were being left in limbo. I would ask Booya to clarify any outstanding issues to prevent confusion.

I believe Chaos ran the first one and Shade organized the second one (need to confirm those). Even though they have all been friendly competitions, the rules were strict with respect to prize allocation. Let's just say that certain events on this forum caused a lot of the old school members to migrate to the "other place" where another MFO was recently concluded a few weeks ago. I guess that was the impetus for this one to be held.

I've been following this particular MFO and it seems to me that many of the "old school" rules that were designed to prevent the current trends I'm seeing, are not being enforced as they should. If this particular MFO is not to be based on the "old school" rules, then I would like Booya to make a comment about this as he is the one running it. However, the spirit of the MFO is

1) Start the competition at a given date and end on a given date
2) List all your qualifying finds without holding back any you may prize.
3) Have FUN (this is important)
4) Follow the rules and give unto the winner what he is due (most important) or else, why would one register in the first place.

The problem arises if you don't. Changing and/or reinterpreting the rules midway (especially by a contestant) does not make for a good competition. There have been many instances in the MFO where the winner takes pity on you because you really wanted to keep a particular item or the winner simply gives it back. There were many examples of this at the "other place" as well as in the SPTN. It is the great sense of community that we have as well as our camaraderie as brothers-in-arms that that enables us to do this. I would hope you reconsider things in the spirit of the competition as it was designed. While no-one can force you to give up the Windforce, you also have to think of your reputation in the next MFO.

I know how painful it can be to lose an item you really want. I lost a Grandfather in one of the 1.09 MFOs and this was when GFs were *highly* prized. Others have lost much more valuable items but it's all in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Anyway, I hope you reconsider and I hope that the winner also considers your position when it is time to choose a prize.
These are excellent points. I cannot say that the last such MFOlympics
competition (in 2003) had rules that were absolutely clear though.
IIRC the sign up list had a rule which was stricken at the start of the
competition (which would have allowed one to keep a placing item).

I failed to notice this and was highly disappointed in the results as such.
Even so, I sent a highly treasured Cranium Basher to zappa_san (the
winner of the Pindle category) as in the end it was apparently my
oversight that the final official rules had changed. I felt it to be the
only honorable thing to do. Perhaps you should spend more time
considering your stance ShriekingWillow...

SincereX13

Diabloii.Net Member
Real Quick here and these are not full lists...

Baal best find to date:
Mav's Diadem
Demonhorn's Edge
Wolfhowl

lvl85 area's best finds to date:
The Redeemer
Grandfather
Death Cleaver
Veil of Steel
Stonecrusher
Lacerator
Demonhorn's Edge
Cerebus' Bite

Sacred Armor

So I think that puts me in the lead thus far in the lvl85 category and I'm not sure about the Baal category (didn't see any posts from people in this category)

chaos

Diablo: IncGamers Member
History time, then. ;)

I organised the first 2, was 3rd place in the first with a 09 windforce (doc tenshi in 2nd with granddaddy!), 2nd place in the 2nd one with 09 IK soul cage. Gave up both, traded back for them at discounted (?) rates. (2*Aldur's armours, 1 nat's mark for windy. Arkaine's, windforce (got another one by this time) and another aldur's armour (i think) for the IK soul cage). You do know how rare IK soul cage was then, right? And like you, the windforce was my most wanted item then.

Back then it was winner take all. There was a LOT of risk, and hence the fun. We stood to win heaps, but we stood to lose our best item too, and that was the point of the competition. No pain no gain. There's no point in a competition where everyone stood only to gain, with no loss or risk involved. Then again maybe not. :teeth:

Anyway its booya's show now, things can always change... if everyone's happy with how it goes, then meh.

Andrew

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember the insane MFO's of the past... I never took part though... hehe... as i didn't dare take the risk. Havent built up a sizable stash like i have now back then... and now, there are still so mnay new items i havent got that i won't part with if i find them... so no taking part for me... lol.

You people should've been clear about the risks involved.

flying_dug0ng

Diabloii.Net Member
chaos said:
Back then it was winner take all. There was a LOT of risk, and hence the fun.
Amen! It was much more fun that way, although I didn't take part then. In the last one I finished waay out of the top but still sent all my items to the winner (~20 elites from Pit;14 would have been part of my grail, but that doesn't matter in the olympics)

ShriekingWillow

Diabloii.Net Member
Very interesting posts. Clearly some view the Magic Find Olympics in a spirit other than what I assumed when I first entered. One where the risk of losing prized items is part of the gamble and fun of the competition. As opposed to a friendlier competition played more for bragging rights. Kind of like playing poker for money, as opposed to matchsticks.

I did have one thought that I'd like to illustrate with an example:

Let's say the competition starts and I'm planning on running The Pit with my Strafeazon, she's pretty poor and is still using a Buriza. First Pit run in a Windforce drops. Now, is she not allowed and expected to use the Windforce to increase the speed/effectiveness of her magic find runs?

Given that there are no rules governing what equipment we can use ( other than it being legit ), and that there is no rule locking us into our starting gear for the length of the entire tournament. Are we not then expected to use whatever gear we find during the length of the tournament that will improve upon the effectiveness of our chars? This is what I expected. It sounds like there used to be a rule forbidding the use of qualifying equipment found during the tournament but that this was scrapped at some point? As Hakai pointed out, I don't know the history of the tournaments.

Anyway I kind of assumed that if we found something useful to our chars it wouldn't be in poor taste to use it rather than enter it. Kind of like why I haven't bothered to log every qualifier. I assumed we're judged upon our highest ranking item and that typically the winner would probably be wanting to pick from a list of everybodys highest item.

I'm starting to get the feeling I'm spending too much time debating about the nature of the rules. Which I guess is why sports have strict rules, so people don't spend countless hours debating the validity of every point. Still, I have to think about something during my neverending Pindle runs...

Oh, and I found my 3rd Berserker Axe tonight. Gonna come in real handy for my 3 armed Barb. At least this one wasn't ethereal.

Edit: I went and re-read the rules of the competition and have come to the conclusion I kind of blew it. While there are no specific rules about not using qualifying gear, there are also strict rules about entering every qualifying item. Something else which I've failed to do. I've found like 6 Immortal King Stone Crusher's and not bothered to even keep any as I just assumed everyone in this competition would have one already. Heck, I don't even bother picking up Hellslayers anymore. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of runs and just didn't want to be organizing a dozen mules, so I've only been keeping top notch stuff ( TC 87 & 84 ).

To tell the truth I've never had much interest in winning as there's really nothing I'd want to take from someone else. I rarely trade as the challenge for me is finding it on my own. I guess this is how I entered the competition. I don't want to win, I just want to see if I could win. Understand? I think I approach a lot of things in life like this. You know there's a lot more self-reflection involved in the MFO than I would have thought. Who knew?

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
well, technically the rules state the items are to be unidentified. since you cannot equip unIDed items, that would clearly mean that you cannot equip and use that windforce you found in your example. you are certainly supposed to save every qualifying item you find, no matter how humble. for example, i have three unidentified Bone Knive's stashed away for the winner(s) of the Baal category to choose from... there are other things of course, but i'm going to wait a few fays to post them.

i understand that there are a lot of new folks participating in this MFO - which is awesome - but i think that the spirit of the competition has kind of been lost this time around. because the stakes for these tourneys are SO high - i can think of no other competition where you stand to win one, much less several, high TC items, people take them very seriously. the competition has typically been accompanied with much trash-talking and bragging, and the winners often depart with a very healthy stash of prizes. in my first MFO, i guessit was the third one based on the history lesson, i won the diablo category. however, since there were not very many contestants, and several people didn't find qualifying items, i was given a Wire Fleece that wasn't even found during the tournament. so these contests have much tradition, and should be taken seriously. so please, if you entered the contest, please keep in mind that this is not some mechanism to post idle brags; it is a competition that has much tradition and that some people here take much pride in winning and participating in, even if it was only to give up there hard-earned items.

OK, i think that about ends my rant... i'll post my finds soon. :)

loverat

Diabloii.Net Member
Having been moving and stuff...and being way too lazy to find the original thread...is there still another week to go?? I have nothin but time now lol.

ULTIMATER

Diabloii.Net Member
I have nothing to report, havent run Pindle and i only did like 10 Pit runs. The base items flourished, but no luck with the colors.

I think i finally is bored with D2, :clap:

buffa

Diabloii.Net Member
Buffa:
lv85 area
Arachnid Mesh | M'avina's Embrace | Leviathan | Bonehew | Azurewrath | Immortal King's Stone Crusher | Kira's Guardian | Windhammer | Lightsabre |
Viperfork | Dracul's Grasp | Crown of Ages | Hellcast | Swordback Hold |
Spike Thorn | Dark Adherent | Gimmershred | Wolfhowl

Baal
Giant Skull | Gut Siphon | Bonehew | Ormus' Robes | Viperfork | Hellrack | Flamebellow | Fleshripper | Medusa's Gaze | Ondal's Almighty | Stoneraven | Bonehew | M'avina's Embrace | Steel Pillar | Naj's Light Plate

Diablo
Dark Adherent | Tomb Reaver | M'avina's Embrace | Stormspire | Immortal King's Stone Crusher *3 | Cerebus' Bite | Hellrack

This is all my found that are elite.
I might not be albe to online so frequestly...
So I wont reply to those winner for those item I found...

I just found that Giant Skull is not in the Baal drop list...
So I think I might mistaken it is drop by the baal minion unique...
I am not sure though....

strijdje

Diabloii.Net Member
wow, great finds everybody, i didnt even had time to mf :lol: i have tommorrow (saterday complete free so i have 1 day off mf-ing if my friends works with me, so i''m going to run the pit for 18 hours, lets see what that pops out :D

@buster :surprise: A-W-S-O-M-E finds dude,

robin