Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MFO Summer 2019 When? Gauging Interest and Availability

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PhineasB, Jun 25, 2019.

1. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

As mentioned in a few other places, I plan to host MFO Summer again this year and wanted to get input on timing. For folks new to the SPF (or needing a refresher), this post documents the long-standing SPF tradition, with a full run-down of the rules in the most recent MFO here.

Short version: Run one of three targets -- A85, Baal, and Pindle+ -- as much as possible during a ten-day window spanning two weekends and hope for many golden sacred armors (of the blue variety :D). You need to have a trading profile to participate due to winners getting to claim items (although I don't think anyone has actually done so for a few years).

I had discussed an August time frame similar to last year, so here are the possible configurations:

Fri. Aug 2 – Sun. Aug 11
    Fri. Aug 9 – Sun. Aug 18
    Fri. Aug 16 – Sun. Aug 25
    Fri. Aug 23 – Sun. Sept 1

I'm leaning toward the last one. It will provide a longer break between RFL and MFO and more time for people to get new characters ready if desired (as well as time for a mini-tournament like the one @ffs hosted last year if anyone plans to host one this year).

But I wanted to get a sense of whether that would work for the majority of interested parties. It would be fun to get a good turnout again this year. Unlike last year, I’m around in September, so would be happy to host later if that works best for a lot of people.

Please let me know if you have thoughts, but mainly if there are options that are no-go for you and you would like to participate!

For inspiration, here's a lovely haul pic from a prior MFO that maybe can be replicated or surpassed this year:
    kmstNGw.jpg
    :)

2. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

Our second son will be born August 28th so the first two are the only ones that will be approachable for me personally. I’ll pop in to check those awesome haul pics either way, though!

Pb_pal likes this.
  3. Babyhell

Babyhell Diabloii.Net Member

I won't be able to participate on the first span, maybe on the second one, for sure afterwards :)

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Only the second one works for me in full. Third I will do something, 1 & 4 are not possible.

5. Babyhell

Just a point: iirc WoW classic will be out by the end of August, I don't know the exact date as i'm not a WoW player, but it may also impacts availability of some people - and we all know what is the hard link between WoW and unavailability!

6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I can't make 1 and 2, as I'm on holiday then. I doubt I'll have much time in 3 and 4, but at least I won't be away at that time :).

7. Ghonn

Ghonn Diabloii.Net Member

Last one is the only possible choice for me. I will be out of the country for most of the August.

8. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

The first is worst for me, but I will participate on any! Can't wait!

9. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

Any of those will work for me :)

Running a poll would probably make it easier to see which period fits most people.

10. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Diabloii.Net Member

I may see what I find alongside the running of this tournament but doubt I will actually join in officially.

Messing with a trader profile when I have no desire to trade for an oft skipped tradition seems like unnecessary hassle.

Either way, any of the date sets would work for me.

11. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

@CaseyJones I think a lot of us have no desire to trade, but taking 5min to setup a profile that never gets used doesn't seem like too big a deal to me :) Hope you join in!

12. zemaj

zemaj Diabloii.Net Member

Especially in contrast to that "10 days, encompassing two weekends, running as much as you can" bit, even 10m to basically make a properly formatted post in a subforum that says "1.14FAM... and I don't trade, this is for MFO" seems so piddly in comparison as to be laughable...

Seriously, do you fight your grandma when she wants to take family photos at Christmas too? Its tradition!

On availability and timing: whenever... no matter when it happens I'll at least make a showing, and anytime I've had a 'perfect' time frame something screwed it up, so I'll just deal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  13. Babyhell

Check his profile pic...he may well do so! :D

Do not subconsider people wearing masks...my dad used to wear one, I know what I'm talking about...even if it was a long time ago...

in a galaxy far far away!

zemaj likes this.
  14. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

I'll be there, no matter the date. :)

15. art_vandelay

art_vandelay Diabloii.Net Member

The second and last time spans would be best for me. Looking forward to this!

16. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

August 27th :/

17. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Fri. Aug 2 – Sun. Aug 11 - Available
    Fri. Aug 9 – Sun. Aug 18 - Available
    Fri. Aug 16 – Sun. Aug 25 - Available
    Fri. Aug 23 – Sun. Sept 1 - Life as we know it will cease to exist due to the launch of Classic WoW (in other words, not available)

Fruit likes this.
  18. art_vandelay

art_vandelay Diabloii.Net Member

So people would rather no-life grind for items in a fifteen year old game than participate in the MFO? Quite frankly I am dissappointed! :rolleyes:

Pb_pal, Ghonn, T72on1 and 3 others like this.
  19. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

I will probably sign up no matter what, though could be challenging to get runs done while settling into new job.

I am afraid I likely won’t have the time to host a warm-up tourney, but might sign up for one as well if someone else does.

20. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath Diabloii.Net Member

If I participate, the last two dates would be best for me, as I'll likely have time off from work then. Also might give me a chance to finish leveling my Pit Zerker until then. Still 12 levels to go with him, though, so I might not be able to make it in time.