Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mfing through the game

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToastedTacoGuy, May 3, 2005.

1. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

mfing through the game

ever since i started my sorc, which if you missed my intro post was my first non-tainted character (i used duped runewords to MF for twinking new chars), i have been documenting the unique/set drops i get while leveling. i have been broken it down by difficulty level to see the difference in amount of items per difficulty. i probably should have documented by act aswell but i was too lazy during normal. the goal with this data is to find out how many items one can expect to get with an untwinked char that doesnt MF, but just plays through the game. this char will be used for mfing once i mat her, but until then no repeated boss runs. i do allow myself to run an area more than once for exp purposes though. i was just wondering if anyone else has done this, and were you suprised by the results? as i look at what i have so far i am kind of suprised. normal difficulty netted me 2 uniques, of which one was exceptional, and 8 set items. i am currently gathering pieces for the horadric staff in nm and i have already found 4 uniques and 4 set items. when i played twinked chars i never remember finding this much stuff, and i picked up just about every green/gold i found. i think as of right now my sorc has about 150 mf, all from regular gear.

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well for normal, thats a bit low i'd say. 2 unqiues, from 5 act bosses +all the random bosses and SU's, thast not great, but your travels through NM seem to be making up for the slow start. Hope it continues going good for you.
    and 150 Mf untwinked by early nm is pretty good. what MF items have you found so far?

3. ToastedTacoGuy

i have a rhyme shield, 20 mf amulet, 15 mf gloves, 2x 1x% rings, 10 mf boots, 1x% belt and a circlet with like 10 or something, i cant remember, that is socketed with a ptopaz though so thats anouth 24

its not exactly 150, but its close, i spent alot of time gambling for the rings and ammy. i got a stash of items from someone which had some nice mf stuff in it, and i used that through normal, but as soon as i found an item for that slot that was at all suitable to replace it (even if it was slightly worse) i switched. since i want to do self found grail i dont want to get giveaway items mixed up with my stuff, so i get rid of it as soon as i can. once this char is mat'd i will stick all the items i got back into the giveaway.

4. Psychic Watch

Psychic Watch IncGamers Member

@ToastedTacoGuy: I'd be interested to see your final results. One thing you might want to do is keep an eye out for failed set/unique items (double durability magic/triple durability rare items) and include those in your counts.

This thread may also be of interest to you.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

You forgot the [/shameless advertising of own thread] tag PW. :p
    Anyway, failed uniques usualyl go missed, because unless you get a rare elite or a weapon type your looking out for, most dont get pickup up and Id'ed.

6. ToastedTacoGuy

where can i find the thread about how items drop? i have done a search and cant find anything. this double triple durability thing doesn't really make sense to me so i want an explanation of what a failed unique/set is

7. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Basically, in the most mundane language possible,

[nutshell]
    When an item drops, the game rolls to see if it is unique, then it rolls to see if it's a set, then rare, then magic, then normal.

If you happen to successfully roll a unique or a set, but the monster that dropped the item is not capable of dropping that unique or set (the monster's mlvl is too low) then the game creates a rare with double or triple its normal durability.
    [/nutshell]

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Hi, I would say that MF on your gloves and boots are low, I usually shop for boots/gloves in act 2 and buy thes over 20 MF. 2 uniques seems to be low to me too, you are probably unlucky...
    There was a similar thread about number of U/S found by an untwinked character not so long ago, but I can't remember who posted it.

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Clarissa (my MA Amazon in the MET tourney) has found 80 set and unique items so far up to the Flayer Jungle WP in NM. She cleared up to Act II Stony Tomb 3 times in normal, and everything else has been single pass. Of course, I started cramming MF on her in the Blood Moor, and have sacrificed resists and damage to do so. (This little voice in my head keeps telling me it may be time to rethink that strategy, but magic finding while questing is rather addicting.) I don't know if she has been lucky, or if my stuborness is paying off...

This thread has piqued my interest in the MF while questing statistics. I'm going to start keeping better track of my daggerzon Kathryn's results, and start looking for those failed sets and uniques. At the end of Act 1 she has 69% MF and has found 2 uniques and 1 set. (I don't know how many failed items.) She won't be able to cram on as much MF as Clarissa since she is a melee character, but it will be interesting to keep track. It's too bad bows mess you up for counting the failed items...

Edit: For the interested, I just used Flavie to get a more detailed look at Clarissa's finds:
    31 normal uniques (26 not including duplicates)
    5 exceptional uniques (4 not including dupicates)
    1 ring (Naglering)
    38 classic set items (28 not including duplicates)
    5 expansion set items (no duplicates, 2 are from Sander's set)

Edit 2: ToastedTacoGuy, just to let you know, it took Clarissa 4 hours to clear the 6 false tombs in Act II NM. There is definitely a tradeoff for all of those items.

10. ToastedTacoGuy

i think i understand a little better about failed items, although i just don't have the time to keep track of them all. the mf is still going steady, found another unique last night and i havent finished act 2 yet.

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

that really is terrible MF. my paly had found more unique's than you before he even hit andy in normal and that was with the 20 or so mf from sigons boots alone.

but GL :D

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I always play with as much MF gear I can (and dare to) in Normal and NM. Always untwinked, always play each area once, no repeats. I have full statistics of the number of S/U items of all my characters in 1.10.
    I only have 3 Guardians, but I have lots of Destoyers so there are many numbers for Normal.

The best "hunting ground" for me is late NM, before I need to sacrifice much MF for added safety and killing power in Hell. Late NM, I usually have 14 perfect topazes working (merc makes the killing blow to all bosses), ~25 MF gloves and 2*rings, amulet/boots with ~30% and a Rhyme shield.

Of course, any unexpected extra boost is welcome along the way: Gull, Blade of Ali Baba, Meat Scraper, Langer Briser, Arctic belt + gloves (or belt + weapon) combo, Tancred´s amulet/boots or amulet/weapon combo, Goldwrap, Chance Guards, MF charms and jewels, etc.

What determines the total number is:
    * How much MF I wear at the different stages
    * The players setting
    * If it´s a barb (gogo Find Item!)
    * Random variation (aka Luck)

Only 2 uniques through Normal is extremely low, even without any MF. I often find as many or more in the first act or two.

13. seige

seige IncGamers Member

I think your hard done by TTG.
    I'm playing a Naked character and am in Act 2 NM and have so far: according to ATMA
    Gems 239 not counting what is currently in stash (none cubed)
    Jewels 31 (I'm a girl, we love Jewels :) )
    Runes 70 (none cubed)
    Sets 25
    Uniques 15 (sets and uniques have more than one)

My Moron doesn't have any MF on either.
    Good luck, I hope it improves for you. Keeps us informed, its very interesting to see how you go.

- Jas :howdy: