Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mfing the pit how big of a % do you need?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Diablo2Slave, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Diablo2Slave

Diablo2Slave IncGamers Member

Mfing the pit how big of a % do you need?

My CL/FO Sorcy has a 362% chance of finding magical items is that high enough of a % to find good items in the pit? i could possibly push it up to 380% but that isnt much of a increase and because of diminishing returns well i might as well stay at 362% ill be solo pitting in hell so should i even bother with the mf i have or should i just give up?

2. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I'd even advise on scaling back your mf to ~250% if that'll allow running in 4-8 player games, which will drastically reduce the nodrop chance from normal monsters :)

Diminishing returns for uniques are very steep, so everything above 200% is fine imo.

3. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Having as much MF% as possible is always better. If you can do The Pits with relative ease with max MF, then go for max MF. If you come in trouble, scale down on MF, but only do this when you can't do the Pits quickly anymore.

And the MF experience of The Pits is greatly exagerated. I've been reading about how "The Pits is filled with Pindles" and stuff. This is far from the truth. True, The Pits is a level 85 area which makes it possible that any item in the game can drop. The odds on these items dropping are just so darn low it's hardly profitable. This and the fact that SOME items can only drop at Unique Bosses make the odds even slimmer.

4. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I dont' love the pitts either, I find pindle/meph and tunnels more profitable.

5. Zechs_Zechs

Zechs_Zechs IncGamers Member

well, I dont do the pits, just because, but the mausoleum is also an option. Well, I guess not for a cl/orb, but it is the same treasure class as the pits, has around 4 boss packs, an uber chest(which I found a gheeds with only 1 7mfsc on in terms of mf) Who knows? well, pindle, meph diablo, Baal... All viable options. If your kinda new (I have only 2 ladder chars so I am) stick with killing power rather than mf. If it takes 15 min to do a meph run, um... lose some mf...

6. Diablo2Slave

Diablo2Slave IncGamers Member

alright so what i have been hearing about the pits is false? and meph isnt an option for be cause well the gear i have being

4Ptopazd Wyrmhide
    3Ptopazd Crown
    Goldwrap
    Chancies
    34% Boots
    32% Amulet
    2x 20% Nigels
    20% Shield
    Sanders wand

From the gear listed above u can well imagine that im poor and the only thing i have besides these are full sigons, 2x bloodletters, aldurs advance, and several psn charms.

so where should i mf with the gear above and what build should i go i dont really like blizz dont get be wrong it does hella dmg but doesnt always hit and doesnt really have the radius or range that i would like so orb? or eathier of the hybrid meteorb or CL/FO builds would better suit my no resist or non max block build? plz someone help me :(

(Accnt: Grand-Lich on Useast on ladder)
    if you could help me maybe with items or maybe getting rhyme and wealth or something that would help me not dying i would like to run somewhere that i could see the monsters not like those o so annoying dollz in durience maybe pindle? or somewhere i can plainly see the monsters so that im not swarmed...

7. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

wel if you havent made a sorc yet i would suggest making a meteorb or pure blizzard your choice. 2nd if you have any mid lvl runes try trading for some items like a wizspike / tarn helm / viper magi / frosties / mage fist.

Now there is 2 things to be very good at doing meph runs and having the doll's not killing you: 1st is break the 63% fcr and second have at least 60% blocking.

And to find better gear dont go straight to hell meph with the gear you have listed just do nm meph runs then you'll either get items you can trade or items that you need to make your sorc still more solid.

8. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

The tunnels shouldn't be any different than the Pit for finding good stuff.

9. Canoe

Canoe IncGamers Member

I have the same sorc as you do... with similar mf (around 340 or so) and i find it works great.... granted my gear is a little better, but should be similar outcomes.

I usually find a couple set items, a couple of uniques, and quite a few rares each run... granted they aren't always what you want... but that's just the odds of elites vs norms dropping.

Just have patience bud... it will come. I've found the pits to be a gold mine, and you will upgrade your equip you listed up there in no time with patience running the pits ...

Also as a side suggestion that you could do easily with that equipment is countess... and kill each level. I find more runes from just the random crap on each lvl.. and once in a while some nice rares/uniques, and it's a good way to restock rejuv potions as they drop like candy there...

With enough rejuvs... even with that equip you should be able to do meph with a solid merc and/or the moat trick.

Just some suggestions :)

10. hittitian

hittitian IncGamers Member

you will get there

I don't see any problem in your gears as start-up except the wand and shield. I'm assuming that you just arrived at hell in act 1 waiting for leveling and MFing at the same time in the Pit.

If you think you're really poor, then first LEVEL UP your sorce in NM Baal runs till she get around +lev 75 so that she could use her nearly maxed synergy skill to have 1-hit kill in act 1 hell (1 player game). Around this time, your merc should be ready, which means you should level up your merc in some area in advance. Check some forum articles for merc leveling. There were some in previous threads.

Get a Spectral Shard/Suicide Branch and two 10% FCR rings (they're everywhere!) to make up FCR over 63%, and start pit and mausoleum runs. If you hate those pesky archers in the Pit (often with amp dmg), then do only mausoleum runs. The exps there will get you level +80, and you will find some interesting stuff worth for trading. Most sought-for items for MF sorce is of course, wizzy+arachnid combo since they will set everything for your main attack and teleing by providing +75%res/+70% FCR/+skill/+Mana. The remaining slots could be filled whatever you want. But, I'd say those two items are nearly 'must' for all purpose MF sorces. Some would recommend occy+lidless+??? combo, and they would work as well. (But, occy is overpriced as far as I experienced and its 'chance to tele' is simply annoying compared to wizzy).

If you have a hard time to get those 'must' items, then a shard with two FCR rings and Ancients Pledge runeword shield will get you eventually to Baal runs. Level up there till you get Lev 85ish, and do Meph runs with FCR +63% setting. You can wear your ptopaz armor and helm till you find a tarn/shako and skulder's. Gamble boots for high res/+MF/+FRW one. Get any amulet with +skill w/res on it. Put loads of any life charm and res charms in inv whenver you find them and you won't die too often. Unless you wasted some points into energy, wear a frosty. It will do its job till you get wizzy+arachnid mesh and shako (Oh, it is a 'must' as well to learn 'moat trick' for hell Meph. Search forum to learn about it). Remember that you gotta balance between killing power and MF%. Ptopaz stuff will get you around 170% MF, and boots will get you around 20%. Start from this set up while you're not sacrificing your killing power. You will soon find stuff for trading and get what you have desired.

When this is all done, come back to the Pit with around 250-300% MF (enough, i'd say)and you will notice that you're leveling and MFing at the same time. Of course, your merc should have been stronger and he will help you to get through each Pit run. And, there is always a possible big shot in the Pit even if you dont find those low-end items that meph drops. (That's how my sorce got Tyrael's Might).

Good luck.

11. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I've never heard it said that the pits have Pindles in there (lol), but I just don't like it in there. I seem to be alergic to arrows! And not to mention I have NEVER EVER found anything worth mentioning in the Pits.

Masa

12. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

From playing with MF around. For me, i have better luck with 350 mf then my 600+MF. So its all based on luck, yes more MF is better but not all the time it works. Its all on how much you can afford, pm me sometime on *stron, ill hook it up with some decent gear

13. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

I found an occulus & snowclash in 1 Pit run.

another time i found a 5/5 fire rainbow facet jewel & eaglehorn

Also found 3 corpsemoruns....2 ethereal with def over 1800! good for merc......

14. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Sorceress Mantra: "Never sacrifice your killing power for MF".

With all that mf stuff you are wearing i guess you have neither at least 63% FCR (which you need), or high enough resists and killing power.

With the items you can get focus on keeping some MF 200~ and have some more killing speed and abililty to dodge attacks while teleport or more speed while casting. All of this is crucial to success.

You can do Mephruns in NM with less MF if you cant seem to able to kill him otherwise. That is alot more worth than haveing to do tedious runs where your kiling speed is low and you only get frustrated. The same goes for Pitruns.

+2 Sorc staffs can be bought at the vendors. Sometimes with nice FCR mods. but you will need to be trying for while. Focus more on getting enough killing power.

ORT+SOL Helmet is a cheap +1skill helmet
    Rhymeshield + +2sorc orb is also nice.

Magic Rings with FCR+MF exist... Amus of that kind aswell. Gold is not hard to get by. With my first Ladder build i made a pure Lightning sorc and came by with 100-200 MF and did NM Mephruns since all else was rather hard.
    The point is though that my killing power was ALWAYS superior to my MF!

To the original question:
    Its not about how much MF you need. MF adds a little bit to your luck, 200-300 should always be fine. MFing is about persistence and doing alot of runs, its never instant reward after say 20 runs.

Andariel and Mephisto will drop nice stuff and more, you would only want to be doing Pitruns if you are in serach of Immortal Kings Armor, Trang Ouls Helm, Tal's Armor etc.

But you can get those items aswell by trading for them with stuff you find from killing Bosses.