Mfing in SP

Dorfoumous

Diabloii.Net Member
Mfing in SP

While, I know its more of a chore to do this single player.

I had a question.

I use ATMA, and I know the "hot spots"

My question really isn't about Mfing specfically, its about increasing your chances in SP.

I've heard people talk about how you can add more players in your SP game...VIA a mod? or something?

Basically make the game think you are playing with 8 people?

How do you this? and is legal?

I was just wondering, because I've heard many people talk about this.

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Mfing in SP

It's the player command: /playersX or /players X where X is one to 8, 1 as default. These players act as unpartied players ie count as half

This leads to a reduction in the no drop chance, rather than giving better items

eg /players1 total players =(1+1)/2 =1 player
/players7 total players =(1+7)/2 = 4 players
/players8 total players = (1+8)/2 =4.5 , rounded down to 4 players for drop purposes

As usual, the monsters gain life and damage and give more exp

This is explained in Hrus' MF guide section 5, from the stickies

@skoolbus: I agree, static maps ftw

EDIT:
In game, hit enter to open the chat window and type /playersX, then hit the enter button again. You should get a message appear "players have been set to X"

Last edited:

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Mfing is actually easier (I think) in SP. LHTB got it, it's perfectly legal and isn't a hack (sounds like I'm a lawyer or something haha). I'd wager 99% of the SPF uses it.

Rhonlyn

Diabloii.Net Member

Because you may not have seen other posts, I will post on this: If you press 'enter', this brings up a chat window. You can see this down near the bottom of your game screen. It's kind of ethereal. Then type forward slash '/', 'players3' or 'players5' or 'players7' whichever you want,and press 'enter' again. Then at the top left of screen you should see "Players set to X" in gold type. If it says '\playersX' you didnt do it right.

Edit:CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!! If you do this, especially /players7, /players8, and particularly in hell, you will suddenly find lots of nasty, multiple resistant, aura enchanted monsters and boss packs. Be ready for them!!

Last edited:

lukin

Diabloii.Net Member

In many areas though, you don't really improve anything by using /playersx other than getting more XP. Most of my MF'ing is done on players1 because /players8 takes too long to kill and for superuniques or uniques, there is no benefit.

Good players 8 areas:
All Act bosses
LK

Bad players 8 areas:
Everything else

Dorfoumous

Diabloii.Net Member

Ahh, thats what I thought, I didn't know if you had to go into the folders and edit something there.

I forget about the chat window.

Thanks.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

If you check the Stickied thread FAQ, you'll see this forum does not accept the use of editing. The only mods we allow are clearly stated in the FAQ. ;)

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member

Edit:CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!! If you do this, especially /players7, /players8, and particularly in hell, you will suddenly find lots of nasty, multiple resistant, aura enchanted monsters and boss packs. Be ready for them!!
And this is of course false. There will be no change in the average spawns, just the monsters that do spawn will have more HP and hit a little harder.

Peppe

Diabloii.Net Member

/Players x command and static map make single player very fun.

/players 8 = best experience gain.

/players 7 = best no drop chance for normal monsters (good when looking for socketables).

/players 5 = best no drop chance for Hell Andariel

/players 3 = best no drop chance for all other hell act bosses

/players 1 = best setting for magic find against normal bosses and super uniques (they drop the same # of items no matter the /players settings)

The command carries over between games when you save an exit, so you can start new games without typing the command over and over. It defaults to /players 1 when you exit D2 completely.

Once you enter an area the monsters within a screen or two will spawn and get the players setting that is currently active. Changing the /players setting after they spawn will not affect them or their drops, but will affect any new monters you come near enough to 'spawn'.

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I know, mobs that spawned on high players setting but killed on low player settings will drop as if they were killed in the lower player setting. But this doesn't work the other way around. To make things easy on yourself, make sure you spawn all monsters in the same player setting that you intend to kill them, aka swap player setting right before you're spawning the mobs you want to kill in that player setting.

For example when you enter baal's minions area type /players 8, and once lister is dead type /players 1 and go kill baal.

/players X command isn't very useful for MF (except for LK chests like said before since you're not really killing anything), it's main benefit is faster experience. And even the faster experience isn't nescessarily faster, you need to have good damage on your character in order for higher player settings to actually net faster experience. High player setting with low damage from your class will just cause the monsters to heal at a similar rate as you can damage them, resulting in much much slower killing if you can even kill them.

I would only use /players 8 for experience and only if I monster healing is actually neglicible on that setting in comparison to my character's damage. No matter what damage I'm dealing, always on /players 1 for MF.