MF vs. drop rate

Toetag

Diabloii.Net Member
MF vs. drop rate

Someone mentioned magic find gear in another post and it made me think: wouldn't it be better to do away with MF gear altogether and just have concrete drop rates such as Monster X drops the Holy Sword of Awesomeness at .0012%?

I hate the idea of getting a new and improved stash and inventory and having to fill it up with several different gear sets. Let me put on my best and get to work killing what i need to kill for upgrades.

Just my opinion. Discuss.

TOE

itisquitesimple

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: MF vs. drop rate

I agree that it would be better to do without MF gear entirely, but you don't have to use it(I certainly won't). I get the feeling that gear is going to be an even bigger deal in terms of being able to defeat monsters so it's likely you'll be in a situation where using MF gear means you have to fight weaker monsters than you would normally. In other words MF=more lower level magic/rare/unique items whereas no MF would = fewer but higher level magic/rare/unique items.

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

On one hand I hate the need to have MF to get anything decent without botting. On the other hand, figuring out a balance of MF gear and killy gear is an interesting concept.

Regardless, MF gear has a lot more application than hunting for Holy Swords of Awesomeness now. Magic Gear = crafting components.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that it would be better to do without MF gear entirely, but you don't have to use it(I certainly won't). I get the feeling that gear is going to be an even bigger deal in terms of being able to defeat monsters so it's likely you'll be in a situation where using MF gear means you have to fight weaker monsters than you would normally.
this might be true in sp but in mp people will still stack the hell out of mf gear and let others do the killing

In other words MF=more lower level magic/rare/unique items whereas no MF would = fewer but higher level magic/rare/unique items.
this makes no sense to me. how does getting less drops = getting higher level drops?

Hyliangod

Diabloii.Net Member

this makes no sense to me. how does getting less drops = getting higher level drops?
you would get less drops because you have killing gear on instead of mf but you would be killing the higher level monsters so you would have a chance at higher level drops.. is what i think he meant.

Toetag

Diabloii.Net Member

If they're gonna keep it in, they should at least make it so that you dont have to have something like +400% MF. That was just rediculous.

TOE

theeliminator

For me MF shouldn't be in the game. Mostly for just the reason Apoc pointed out. I would hate to be in a random group and someone sandbag it just to get better drops.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

None of you seem to have even considered that D3 drops independently. So obviously the old mf system is dead and they have something a bit different planned. The old mf system just wouldn't fit anyhow.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

We have seen MF return, but what we don't know is how it works with the split drops and how they plan to balance it.

AxeX

Diabloii.Net Member

Yea, I'd actually like to see how they're changing MF before I start ranting about it.

theeliminator

None of you seem to have even considered that D3 drops independently. So obviously the old mf system is dead and they have something a bit different planned. The old mf system just wouldn't fit anyhow.
I am more then aware that in D3 drops are independent, which is what makes this worse in my book. Your going to have players with MF gear riding the group's coattails and getting better loot while everyone else gets normal loot , and have to fight harder to kill mobs cause one guy is using MF gear.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

That assumes that D3 deviates from D2 and that the killer isn't what decides it. We haven't been given any indication that they do this.

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Why not like:
MF% is counted as group related.
1) All get better drops individually.
2) MF gear can be shared throughout the party so you get an overall stronger group.
3) The MF% is divided by # of players/spawn-amount/monster-difficulty in party, so no UBERdrops will ever occur.

Idea?

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

That assumes that D3 deviates from D2 and that the killer isn't what decides it. We haven't been given any indication that they do this.
I think it was Jay that said there would be some sort of MF or equivalent. In other-words we could say there will likely be some sort of drop rate modifier. That could mean a lot of things. It would be good if this question could be answered by blizzcon. I wonder if they have even worked it out yet. :scratchchin:

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

What I'd like is a participation - oriented drop rate.

Whatever percent the player did is how much of a fraction of their MF comes into play. The one doing all the killing gets all the reward and leechers get cracked items regardless of MF% they have.

A team assaulting one boss would get fairly split drops (assuming the max isn't 6 like D2 and reflects the 4 man team).

blackbisket

Diabloii.Net Member

Regardless, MF gear has a lot more application than hunting for Holy Swords of Awesomeness now. Magic Gear = crafting components.
I didnt thing of that, but its a very good point, I was hoping for natural MF as u lvl type of deal.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i still say removing MF is in the best interest of the game. make the drop rates better and let everyone worry about gearing to kill

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Whatever percent the player did is how much of a fraction of their MF comes into play. The one doing all the killing gets all the reward and leechers get cracked items regardless of MF% they have.
Everyone would go to the build that would give them the best chance to be the one that does the most damage and gets the most kills. it kills variety and punishes any build that isn't the strongest.

It could even lead to groups not wanting to form a party if someone is clearly stronger than they are.