Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mf Troubles.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by SucksAtDiablo, Apr 22, 2008.

1. SucksAtDiablo

SucksAtDiablo IncGamers Member

Mf Troubles.

Hey guys, I have a level 77 Meteorb, 90 Str, rest vita (around 300.) I have about 1200 health with charms and such, when I mf, maybe 1080.

I've had two problems with mf lately.

One, my survivability. I seem to die fairy quickly, most probably because of my negative resists in hell. I know, I know, LOL U SUX. Whatever. I'm not sure how I can maintain decent speed and mf while getting decent survivability. My gear for mf atm is:

Occy
    Lidless
    Skull Collector Switch
    Mage Plate Unique ( I forget name >.>, but no resists on it.)
    33% Demonhide boots (Lol.)
    Goldwrap
    2x Nagel (50%)
    Rare ammy with 22%
    Chancies (29%)
    Shako
    Gheeds 24% (LOL BAD.)

With this setup, I have around 280% Mf.

This is decent mf imo, and I do pretty fast meph\andy runs. If I get hit though, I get owned(and I dont mean by the bosses.)

For my first question, Id ask for advice on survivability, maybe specific gear or fairly cheap ways to up my resists.

Secondly, Im strapped for cash. I thought making a meteorb would rake in some money, but I was gravely wrong. I run andy\mephy atm (I have Eld + Shenk but I get owned for reasons already stated.) but whenever I get a drop I think is decent, I find on the trade values forum its one of two things. Junk, or 5-10 Pgems. Is the only thing worth anything now duped Hr's and extremely rare\glitched ethreal items? Im confused on what is "Good" and what is "Junk." And why? Anything I should do\look for to increase my wealth?

I hope my questions provide good answers ;D. Sorry if this doesnt seem like its in the right forum by the way, I just figured I'd post this here since I'm using a sorc for mfing >.>.

Thank you. :wave:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Mf Troubles.

4 words: get Tal's and Spirit.

All your problems solved.

3. SucksAtDiablo

Tals is my goal. When all your stuff is worth a max of 20 pgems for only TWO of the items I thought were the most valuable, I think its a bit hard to get Tals like that bud. The rest of my items are only worth around 10 gems each according to trade forums. Tals is WAY out of my reach right now.

I only have 90 str. Spirit isn't in my future.

4. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Lol bud, you can get 3 pieces of tals for a couple pgems each, the ammy and armor cost an UM each, you should easily have found some gear worth an UM in total by now, if not just go do some key runs and trade those. Also get a gull and mila shield on switch for an extra 120% mf. Get better chancies, perf chancies only go for a pul, so find some 39 or something.

For good items I don't know what you mean by glitched eth armors, those are runewords which can't even drop. There are lots of mid range uniques that sell for pul-um but you shouldn't expect good drops each run, it takes hundreds of runs to get good stuff. Key runs are the most profitable until you can easily kill hell andy and meph without even getting down to 50% life.

5. SucksAtDiablo

Here, I'll link you to what I have on my mules. Then you can see what my gear is and how much I can get for it.

6. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

Try leveling to at least 85, this is easily attainable and gives you more skill points and att points to work with.

If you get to lvl 90, you get 13 skill points and 65 stat points.

You should really shoot for the str requirement of a spirit monarch, which is 156, there is no other caster shield that comes close to spirit.

7. SucksAtDiablo

Ive been trying to level, it's pretty slow, and dying a lot is frustrating :\

8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

If you're dying at all, then your build simply isn't balanced. It doesn't matter if you have 50 MF or 800 MF. I understand that you want to keep decent MF to help find better equipment, but I'd bet that 50+ resists and ~100 MF will find more items for you if you only die 5% as often.

So for now, to hell with your 280 MF - drop a little bit and get your resists up. Keep living to kill things, and your wealth will grow, and then you'll be able to start boosting your MF up again.

Here's 4 items that you should (hopefully) be able to trade for a small number of PGems, and they'll be significant upgrades over your current equipment:

1. Skin of the Vipermagi - a fantastic armour for your sorc - much better than Que Hagan's, especially if you have problems with your resistances. This should be your first priority

2. Natalya's Boots - not the most popular choice, but they can come with upto 25 lightning and cold resists. very cheap, I'm sure. Alternately, Aldur's boots have great fire resists and some Life - or you might possibly get some rares with triple-element resists.

3. Drop your MF amulet for a rare with resistances. One without +skills should be very cheap, and if you get one with FCR, that can save your Nagel for my next recommendation:

4. And another switch you might consider making would be to drop the Chancies (and possibly 1xNagel) for a Magefists and a rare ring with FCR (try to get at least 63 total, or preferably 105 FCR, total). You'll attack faster and stronger, and sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

9. Alzakarr

Alzakarr IncGamers Member

Here's a couple suggestions, not knowing the rest of the stats on your rares. I don't trade and I can always make this stuff so you know you can afford it.

1.Have larzuk socket the lidless. Stick a PDiamond in it.

2. Make (or trade for) Smoke. Run countess for runes if you need to. Her cold immunity is 100% so you can break it with store-bought lower resist an orb her. Alternately, you can trade for vipermagi or Naj's light plate. Less resists but you mantian your +skills.

3. swich your ammy for a prismatic. You can cube one with 1 each Pgem but that's obscenely expensive. Better is to cube junk magic rings 3 at a time until one shows up.

If you don't have resists on your ammy and make smoke, this will boost your resists by +85-89, which should put you near max. At the cost of +1 skill, 20% FCR, and 22% MF which is not much of a price to pay. Good luck!

10. Borje

Borje Banned

I totally agree with sirpoopsalot, ditch the focus on MF now. Vipermagi should be your first goal! a +2X% res all will be cheap, yet a lot better than your current armour.

Level up a little and you will get stronger!

11. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

You best be joking, pal. 6 Pgems expensive? Someone's been smokin' too much weed today.

12. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I notice d2 things lacking in your setup. Resists and Fastest Hit Recovery. As I see your only source of FHR is the Que Hegan's Armor, so you should have 20 FHR. That gives you a recovery time of 11 frames. You should aim for at least 60(8 frames) with a wita sorc, otherwise you'll get stuck for too long if you're hit while teleporting. The best source of FHR is the Belt. I would change Goldwrap for a rare belt with 24 FHR with resists that will give you 2 more break points in FHR. You can get more from charms aswell. Spend a socket quest and Larzuk you Lidless. PDiamond it.
    IMO if you have trouble MFing in Hell go back to NM. You can find nice runes in NM Countess and nice stuff from NM Mephisto/Andariel. Also running the Council in Act3 shall give you a good amount of gold, which you can use to Gamble a better amulet. Run an area with many monsters that you feel confortable (Flayer Jungle, the Bazaars maybe) to find charms and more gold. Cube all the Flawless gems to make currency and trade for better stuff. Good luck

13. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

The previous posts referring to breakpoints and resists are the way to go. If you're getting hit a lot, you will find the 105 breakpoint for FCR will really improve your tele runs. You cast tele faster which means you are moving faster, which means the monsters have less of a chance to hit you. You might want to consider a Spirit sword. Dirt cheap, great FHR and good FCR +skills, life and mana. One of my favorite choices for low-mid level casters.
    If the equipment to hit those breakpoints is too expensive, consider walking to the bosses and killing everything on the way. More exp, potentially more drops (though not neccessarily as good), can be safer since you can control the monsters easier and have "safe zones" to run to. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and a good rune will drop from an ordinary monster or a great unique will drop from a champion or unique.
    If your stuff for trade is only worth 5-10pgems, sell it for 5-10 pgems. Make a mule, save up a whole bunch and either join "Items for Pgems" games or trade them here for better stuff. If you sell all your current stuff for 10 pgems, save up 10 from cubing flawless gems, then do more runs for stuff that will sell for another 5-10 pgems, you're looking at being able to trade for items on the level of a shako or an Um rune.
    Doing really fast runs to the good bosses can be tough. You need the right gear, the right build and you should know how to do it right. If your gear or your build are not up to playing that level, then don't do it. You'll only frustrate yourself. There are plenty of ways to build some wealth without doing to standard runs that are more forgiving to characters in process.

14. SucksAtDiablo

Thanks for the help guys..I'll go look for a vipermagi and when I get a pdiamond Ill socket lidless with it. I have a pair of aldurs boots I plan wearing, and I do have an ammy with + at least 15 to all resists, but no skills. I think I can manage to train decently with this stuff on. Ill try cubing magic rings\ammys now, I forgot about that formula. You're right, I do have plenty of time to build up xp and get charms\gear to suit my needs before I start mfing. This is harder than I thought..Thanks for the advice :).

By the way, I REALLY want a spirit monarch. I only have 90 str at level 77 atm, but should I still go for it? I calc with war travelers, and a 13\13 anni and torch I could end up with 156 str if I get to 120 base. Should I bother? Thanks :)

15. Borje

Borje Banned

Spirit is an awsome shield, and it's totaly worth it - imo!

16. Noite Escura

If you think you can get that Anni,Torch and Travs then go for it. But keep in mind you'll need at least 6 levels to be able to equip it.

17. SucksAtDiablo

Yeah, that's why I asked for an opinion if I should go for it or not :p

18. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

To me, Spirit has everything a sorc could ever want - except for blocking. However, sorcs have a very slow block rate, and once you get the hang of playing them in a certain area, hopefully you won't be hit by blockable attacks very often anyways... so to me, the benefits of a blocking shield on a sorc are minimal (and not enough to outweigh the benefits of Spirit).

<--- opinion based on PvM and MF runs, not on PvP.

And level 83 really isn't very high, so I feel that Spirit is a very excellent choice - probably the best there is.

19. Noite Escura

Actually, their block rates are much faster than their recovery rates, that's why unless you use Spirit and his amazing 55 FHR, it's much easier and safer to go block.

20. SucksAtDiablo

Well, I got a vipermagi, I now have positive poison\fire resist. Still small negatives in lightning and cold. Im planning to p diamond my lidless, and I just got a 2\1\2 tal orb for free. only 2 more pieces of set to go :)