Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF theory

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dazuni, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

MF theory

may be this is complete total poo, but I think I give it a shot.

I have a boner who run mf, at Elderich shenk and pindle, sometime do pits too, but it take too long to run.

anyway, what I realise is that item drops are better when it is a uncivilised time, like 6:45 in the morning, which I normally play. in contrast, friday night or saturday morning runs are usually unproductive.

which I have a theory that is if there are more people on the server/ b net, there will be less likely to drop good (good as in dropping higher level item and MF % for unique / set get lowered).

can anyone explore on this topic?

2. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

i think bulls***..

same gategory as 'no tp's to the baals room', 'don't die while killing bosses', etc etc ....

mf = luck ... %mf = more luck ...

just my 2cnts

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

When you look at the big picture, I do not think it matters when or where you play. It is the same things as with traffic lights. They always turn red when you are in a hurry. This is not really the case, it just seems so.

4. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

"same gategory as 'no tp's to the baals room', 'don't die while killing bosses', etc etc ....
    "

you mean like clicking on that gem before create game?

5. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

i think the gem is totaly different thing.. tho im not sure, because i dont know about the gem..

im just saying that it is not the time when you play, it is not the things you do before the kill.. it is just matter of luck, and %mf just makes your changes lil better.

player only doing for example baal quest at hell (1st time ofcourse) has a small change to pop out a wf (if wf can be dropped from hell baal, dont know those things anymore).

i dont know does this post make any sense at all anymore :clap:

6. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

I don't like all those little things like, don't tp from durance lvl 3, blah blah blah.

BUT...

I have seen the same results. Sometimes when I can't sleep, and on the weekends especially, it's not uncommon for me to be up at 4 or 5 in the morning mf'ing. And in all honesty, I do find really GREAT things at those hours.

g

7. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

may be we should commission a pilot a study into this server busy VS MF thing.

have we got the code for the mfing? how sure are we that it is independent from the number for player / server desity.

8. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

This could all be spiritual.

Yes, according to Newton's fourth law of motion there is no such thing as luck, rather, everything happens for a reason...yup.

So that means, if you can't sleep, like in g's case, you find good items because Buddah wants you to be happy and go to sleep so you can rub his tummy in your dreams.

Either that or it all has to do with that bastard by the name of Karma, damn him for ruining my drops.

"RARE SHAKO???? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

9. Helios1971

Helios1971 IncGamers Member

Wait...the chat gem doesn't...doesn't work?!? Noooooooo!! All those hours wasted!! :eek:

10. Mad Mantis

Fourth law you say. Could that be why I failed physics. :scratch:

11. KSechrist

KSechrist IncGamers Member

I agree

It's odd, but if it's at an "odd" time for USWest, (like 9:00am on a "school"/"work" day), I pull 2-3 set/uniques out of a pit run (even if they ARE mostly crappy death's set, cathan's, etc). When playing at 4:00pm, I'll go a run or two in between getting set/unique items. I guess it COULD be that I'm getting unique rolls on items failing for lack of unique, but I doubt it. Here's why:

Bliz already bases loot on # of players (in game, more players = less chance for no drops). Why NOT put code in place regarding # of players on servers = better/worse chance?

Imagine you're Blizzard and you determine, you want 1 windforce (on average) to enter the game a week. If you have 1 player killing in Hell vs 100 people killing in hell, you can't have the same % drops, as when there's 100 people, 100 more monsters die (plus if they're in the same game the drops are higher). So, you divide MF by the # of players on server. Why not? The information's available. (When you log into chat, you see "95020 players in 47420 games on Battlenet...", So they DO know how many people are playing.

I'd guess the 2nd way you could limit drops would be by limiting TC classes based on # of players. With 1-1000 people on, TC87 has a 10% chance to drop, with 1000-10000, 5% chance, 10000+ = 2% chance to drop. But I don't notice a "lack" of TC87 type drops in the afternoon, I DO notice their lack of set/unique status.

Lastly, this isn't really necrodom, maybe Shaperla can move it to statistics.

12. Ch0zen

Ch0zen IncGamers Member

If what every one post is true about mfing late at night, ie 5 in the morning, then shouldn't mfing in the afternoon be the same because it would be like 5 in the morning in Japan. :scratch:

13. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

Even though I think this theory is bogus they aren't necessarily working on time. I believe they are basing it on server population. So while it might be 5 pm in japan or 3am in oslo or whatever the hell time it is where you are playing the key factor I think would be how many people are on b.net.

14. ender11782

ender11782 IncGamers Member

Several extremely smart, nerdy people have poured over the code and found nothing extraneous that affects item drops. The only things that matter are %MF, monster level, etc. So don't worry about it

15. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

To add to the previous, timing really doesn't have anything to do with mf...

I'm sick and at home, so i decided to do some mf'ing, and in 30 mins Meph has dropped a buriza and two gheeds ;)

and i also found a gladiators bane from a stygian doll :D

16. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

the original post I was talking about population of the server, not necessary time of the day, timing is only an indication, (some) people do sleep you know..J/k

referring to the time differences around the world, remember to log on battle net, it "search for the fastest server". this would likely be population related.

if item drop is based on mf and monster level only, the more people play the game the more unique there are out there then, what stop bizz put a cap on number of wf generated within 5 minutes or server run time??

may be I should take a two weeks holiday this year just to check this out.

17. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

That theory has been brought up a lot before. Time of day makes no difference...however if you stand on one leg while MFing, your drops will improve ! :lol:

-Backdoor Bandit

18. Mad Mantis

If you have no legs will you get only uniques?

19. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Nice one :thumbsup:

It's quite obvious, really...

And yes, by time of the day i too only meant that the servers are more crowded during "normal" hours... Whatever you want to call normal :p

20. KSechrist

KSechrist IncGamers Member

Except item drops are serverside. You can only find out about single player drops (or non-realm drops) from examining the client code. But thanks for the thought.