Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Sorc Q's (ES-Y/N--Meteorb vs Cold)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Mal, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Mal

Mal IncGamers Member

MF Sorc Q's (ES-Y/N--Meteorb vs Cold)

Hello folks, My last sorc (orb/firewall) died at lvl 60. My trapsin just died at 77 and I was thinking of rebuilding the sorc, since teleport is great for MF. My question is: I want to follow the Meteorb build but I am concerned about the lack of Energy shield. if I go cold only I can spend the extra points in ES/Telekenesis. If cold only is blizard really much better than orb? I will be MFing Meph/Andy/Countess/E/S/P etc. but would like to be flexible to avoid boring repetitious MF runs. I am also working on a hammerdin, but I really love sorcs if I can manage to survive. I apologize if this subject has been done to death, but I may have specific questions that haven't been answered yet. This is Hardcore by the way.

2. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Lol, that one we already figured out :)

As for Energy Shield, it's more of a burden then a help. Especially elemental attacks drain it way to fast when you have no max synergies, and you just don't have spare points.

As for your runs;

- Meph is best done by a Blizzard sorc, but you'd need the synergies to make it effective. Fire sorc (Meteor especially) also does well against Meph, and only slightly slower then Blizzard.

- Andy is best done by Fire sorc (either Meteor or Firebal) because she has less Fire resistance then Cold or Lightning.

- Pindle can be done with either Fire or Cold

- Shenk and Eldritch cannot be done by a Cold sorc, since they both are surrounded by Cold immunes (unless you have a godly merc, but it just would take to much time)

- Countess I'm not sure of, but if I recollect she has Lightning immunes as minions, so both Fire and Cold could do it.

So, taking these things in account, to be versatile you'd have to go for a hybrid. IMO Meteor/FO or CL/FO do best, with a possible Blizzard/FW sorc as a reasonable third choice.

3. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

The Countess has cold immune minions and is herself dual fire/cold immune - my Meteorb's merc takes her down in a fraction of a second, though.

Like Stiertje says, Energy Shield is more likely to get you killed than save your life.

4. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

im using ORB/Hydra sorc. For mf-ing in the whole game.
    NO problem. Cold/Fire immunes are fast rip by merc ;)

and im using ES.. i only need mana potions no life potions needed
    Just stand still before meph ;]

5. Xenthe

Xenthe IncGamers Member

My 2 cent on this topic.

ES without syneries + Occy => confirmed instant death

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

almost any build can stand in front of Meph and not take damage. his physical attacks are simply too weak. No moat-trick was ever again needed against him :D

Unless i go full telekinesis with ES i consider it a pretty waaste of points. before i discovered what i could do with max-vit or max-block and full res i always played with ES on, also in 1.10, now its really history. But i guess to each his own playstyle! :D

7. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

i have occy, i have es and i have a few points in telek and i have only died a few, very few times. know how to play and you dont die.

8. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

avoid ES as ppl say no mana for a sorc = dead sorc

i'd either put a point into an armour spell, or try and get an armour spell on switch or gear (snowclash for blizz sorc = perfect as +2 blizz and a free armour spell). With + skills this gives her 4k+ def whilst she tp's about.

9. Pugnare

Pugnare IncGamers Member

I have an orb sorc and she does fine vs meph. The extra skillpoints you dont have to spend on blizzard synergies can be used to max telekenisis and boost some other skills(static,warmth,es)

10. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

So untrue. No life = death. That is assured. But no mana? Has anyone ever heard of running? Besides, by drinking a mana pot you can tele about 0.25 seconds afterwards unless you are mana locked by hydras or LE monsters.

Since I have gotten ES I have yet to die with my Occy. And it's TPed me into some sticky situations.

I only have 1 point in TK btw.

11. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Still, if you're spending those 0.25 sec stuck in one place with a dozen souls, you may as well be dead already.

12. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

I agree, but those few seconds of having mana taken away gives you time to exit the game. Energy shield will never get my FO/E-Shield sorceress killed b/c it simply gives me an amp load of time to leave the game. You shouln't be stupid enough to stay when a mana burn boss just took away all your mana. Nearly all of you are speaking in terms of Softcore, where getting mana burn simply means risking death and trying to teleport away. If I was ever hit with mana burn in one of my mephy runs, the first thing I would do is exit.