Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Sorc Q's (ES-Y/N--Meteorb vs Cold)

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Mal, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Mal

Mal IncGamers Member

MF Sorc Q's (ES-Y/N--Meteorb vs Cold)

Hello folks, My last sorc (orb/firewall) died at lvl 60. My trapsin just died at 77 and I was thinking of rebuilding the sorc, since teleport is great for MF. My question is: I want to follow the Meteorb build but I am concerned about the lack of Energy shield. if I go cold only I can spend the extra points in ES/Telekenesis. If cold only is blizard really much better than orb? I will be MFing Meph/Andy/Countess/E/S/P etc. but would like to be flexible to avoid boring repetitious MF runs. I am also working on a hammerdin, but I really love sorcs if I can manage to survive.

2. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

If this is strictly a meph runner, I would trash the meteor and just go orb...

Max Orb
    Max CM
    Max Ice Bolt
    1 pt ES
    Max Telekinisis
    5 pt Static (with + skill u should be 10+)
    1 pt warmth
    4 prereq in cold skills
    4 prereq in light skills
    Total Skill pts = 95
    LVL at completion = 84

With this skill distribution, plus decent equipment (try and get +10 skills from equipment if possible) and a decent merc u can run meph safely. The max telekinisis really offsets the mana drain form ES when u take dmg. Combine that with some mana % return equipment and a decent mana pool and u are set.

Prez

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

You do only 1p in ES? My sorc has 23p in es and telekin, did i waist lots of points? My sorc has 600 life and 800 mana, meph never touches my life.

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

How much absorb is lvl 23?

lvl 1 is like 20? and goes up rapidly to 40-50% then takes a severe trend in diminishing returns this is why 1 point in it with enuff +skills is a good way to go.

As far as Blizzard, I have seen both Orb and Blizz at work and IMO Blizz seems to pack the more powerfull punch. One other things I like about Blizz is that its synergy Glacial Spike is a very goood skill on its own with the ability to flat out stop things and solid damage and not timered.

So i can see this as an attack mode:
    Blizz
    Static Static Static Static
    blizz
    Glacial Glacial Glacial Glacial
    blizz
    Glacial Glacial Glacial Glacial

etc until dead.

With Orb its synergy is a lower skill and although usable doesnt pack a punch liek Glacial.

Thus is why I am making a Blizz sorc for my first Xpac Sorc!

i dont think either one of them is a bad sorc, i just think that the Blizz can kill faster in 1 or 8 player games!

5. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Going with a higher ES is possible, although what ends up happening is that the % absorb goes up, therefore the amount of mana taken when you get attacked also goes up. In this case, too much can be bad. With a decent life pool (highly recommend 1000+ hps if you are going to be doing hell meph) you can afford to take some dmg and maintain the necessary mana to fight/flight.

It also has diminishing returns as stinger points out.

You also lose the ability to get a decent Static or you sacrifice dmg by not maxing out the synergies if you max out ES.

Overall, this build will give you 50%+ dmg reduction from ES with + skill equipment. Combine that with some dr equipment (i.e. shako, SS, shaft, verdungo, string, rockstopper, etc.) and you have a high dmg orb and safe teleporter.

Prez

6. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

The problem with a Blizz sorc is that Blizz has three synergies to max: Ice Bolt, Ice Blast, Gspike. Then you max Blizz and CM. Thats 5 maxed skills = 100 skill pts.

Just to max those requires achieving lvl 89, with no points in telekinisis, prereqs, warmth, static, etc.

A good orb/static with a few cold skillers will take meph down in 3-4 orbs. A much more efficient build then blizz and achievable at a much lower lvl.

Prez

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

You dont need all the synergies. Hell My bliss is at 1k+ already and she is only lvl 42!!! Only +skills being Occy and Angelics.

8. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

To achieve the same overall build as the Orb build, you would only be able to max one of the Blizz synergies...say Gspike since you seem fond of that ...:)

Although I haven't done the math, my guess is that a fuly synergized orb will take meph down faster then a one synergy blizz...

Also blizz has the irritating delay and can be hit/miss when it does arrive.

Just my thoughts...both would probably work. Looking at skill distribution, lvl requirements, killing speed, safety, etc. I have to go Orb as my recommendation.

Prez

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I dont know the formulas for calculating but from the 1.09 stats (dont beleive damage per lvl was changed, simply just synergies added) lvl 20 orb is 267 max and lvl 20 blizz is 600 max, Ibolt gives 2% to orb but Blizz synergies give I beleive 6% or 5%.

Orb can cover more area, but when looking at a "single target" and those numbers I dont know how it can possibly be better.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

1 sec vs 1.8 sec cast delay which at good cast rate isnt hardly notice especially using Glacial inbetween if you wish.

11. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

I'll agree with Prez

Meteorb is best for soloing since you can overcome everything due to your diversity.

Orb is best for pure Mephisto runner, since you can power it and spare points into telekinisis, warmth ect.

Blizzard is best for games with a lot of players sicne you can take advantage of the full synergies for some impresive damage and not worry about cold immunes.

I'd use Orb if I were you. ES only at lvl 1. My sorc gets 55% ES from 1 base and + skills and I feel I would like it to be a tad lower. ES isn't as hot considering the bugged elemental damage that causes mana to disapear, so high level ES only means you'd run dry of mana most of time.

12. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Stinger - My thoughts on your comparison of orb vs. blizz:

As far as the orb build goes, the build that I recommended will get u an aproximately 600 pt dmg orb (highly dependent on the + skills equipment). That is per ice shard that is thrown off the orb...

If you are properly ranged so that the orb disentegrates on top of meph (not hard to do once u get the feel of it) you can multiply that by approximately 20-30 shards in one concentrated attack.

The orb dmg that you will get from the build that I purpose will net:
    Assume 25 shards x 600 ea = 15,000 pts total dmg from one orb.

Meph has 75% res to cold, modified by Cold Mastery in hell. Lvl 30 CM give you minus 165% resistance. So meph has minus 90% cold resistance. He has total hps of 94,320 in a single player game. Therefore with static to half ~ 50,000 pts, 2-3 well placed orbs will take him out, less if you are a good aim..:)

As you can see, the direct comparison of orb dmg to blizz dmg is like comparing apples to oranges since the dmg is more concentrated with orb and orb has a greater number of shards.

Add in the ability to aim, better chance to hit, shorter casting delay, etc. and my argument for Orb as an all around killer is strong.

In the end, it all comes down to what each person prefers and how you like to play.

Remember...just have fun!

Prez

13. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

My sorc has a stormshield, that and the ES and telek at lvl23 makes it so that meph never touches my life. Only time that i lose some life is poisondmg. I have 600 life and 800 mana, and after about 300/400 runs i never had a close call, i use only manapots, i have 2 rows of full rejuv's but i dont use them. So there is no need for +1000 life, 600 will do (up till now).