MF Sorc Merc / Farming Questions

dkn

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey all,

First off - hopefully this doesn't upset anyone - but I've moved my small amount of wealth from HC to SC. I updated my Trading Profile to reflect this. My son will be over this weekend to continue our Father and Son Patriarch Journey. Him and I decided that we will play the entire game untwinked and then move some items over for endgame leveling / new chars after Patriarching :D. I made a MF sorc last weekend to start farming us some items!

Now, onto my questions!

Currently progressing through NM with my Sorceress "Mira". She is a Frozen Orb / Fireball MF character. I have all of Tal's minus the armor so hopefully I'll get lucky and find that sooner than later and my gear will change. Going to add PTopaz to Tal's Armor/Helmet and an Ist to the wand once I find one. Here are my MF plans:
-Andy
-Ancient Tunnels
-Meph
-Halls of Vaught
-Nihlathak

My current gear:
-Hoto/CTA
-Lidless
-34% Viper
-Tal Rasha's Amulet (when I reach 67)
-Tal Rasha's Belt
-Magefist
-War Travelers
-Two 10% FCR rings2
-This hits 124%FCR since my Viper isn't perfect... is this ok?

Merc Gear:
-Holy Freeze
-Vamp Gaze
-Treachery
-Low damage spirit (but have a CV for later)

Stat Progression:
-Already maxed FO
-Will max Cold Mastery - assuming I won't have skillers for a while this should be ~27-28
-Will max Fireball
-Then finish off maxing: Meteor/Firebolt

Strategy
I read multiple posting that Holy Freeze stacks with Frozen Orb. Not sure if this is true, but in practice it appears that way. Also helping me teleport. I plan to start MF'ing once I hit level 90. I'll start with Andy and run through each area. I think this will add a lot of variety to my farming and it shouldn't get old.
I throw one FO, teleport into position, static, teleport back and FO again so the ball explodes on the target creature.

What does everyone think?

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
-Low damage spirit (but have a CV for later)
Assuming you mean Insight here?

My current gear:
-Hoto/CTA
-Lidless
-34% Viper
-Tal Rasha's Amulet (when I reach 67)
-Tal Rasha's Belt
-Magefist
-War Travelers
-Two 10% FCR rings2
-This hits 124%FCR since my Viper isn't perfect... is this ok?
Rich (BB code):
FCR    Item
----   ---------------------
 40%   Heart of the Oak
 20%   Lidless Wall
 30%   Skin of the Vipermagi
 20%   Magefist
----
110%
You don't need those FCR rings, you already get to the 105% breakpoint. By the way, Skin of the Vipermagi has fixed FCR and variable resists and MDR, so you may have mixed those up.

EDIT: I'd aim to get a Spirit Monarch with 35% FCR if you are planning on full Tals.

dkn

Diabloii.Net Member
Assuming you mean Insight here?

Rich (BB code):
FCR    Item
----   ---------------------
 40%   Heart of the Oak
 20%   Lidless Wall
 30%   Skin of the Vipermagi
 20%   Magefist
----
110%
You don't need those FCR rings, you already get to the 105% breakpoint. By the way, Skin of the Vipermagi has fixed FCR and variable resists and MDR, so you may have mixed those up.

EDIT: I'd aim to get a Spirit Monarch with 35% FCR if you are planning on full Tals.
Thank you!

My sorc has 156str now so I'll be searching for a 4os Monarch when I get to Hell.

Any tips on that? What level do I have to be to find a regular Monarch and have Larzuk socket for 4os?

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Opinion varies on those questions, so I'm going to give you the rules of thumb that I go by:
  • I usually enter hell at around:
    • level 71 for a sorceress who is aiming to equip Tal's Armour
    • level 76 for a character with a merc aiming to equip Reapers Toll
    • This has the added benefit of your merc being higher level and thus improving survivability, especially against high level mobs
  • In twinked play, I try to find a 4 socket monarch or I will cube-socket a white monarch using the recipe - I never burn a socket quest on something like that, I save those rewards for uniques/sets. This one comes down to preference, I already have lots of 4 socket monarchs in softcore SP, but even when I play HC ladder I still would rather take my chances with the recipe, knowing that I'll get another monarch eventually.
  • I'd look in Act 1 The Pits for a Monarch, or just play through the game, one *will usually* drop!

dkn

Diabloii.Net Member
Opinion varies on those questions, so I'm going to give you the rules of thumb that I go by:
  • I usually enter hell at around:
    • level 71 for a sorceress who is aiming to equip Tal's Armour
    • level 76 for a character with a merc aiming to equip Reapers Toll
    • This has the added benefit of your merc being higher level and thus improving survivability, especially against high level mobs
  • In twinked play, I try to find a 4 socket monarch or I will cube-socket a white monarch using the recipe - I never burn a socket quest on something like that, I save those rewards for uniques/sets. This one comes down to preference, I already have lots of 4 socket monarchs in softcore SP, but even when I play HC ladder I still would rather take my chances with the recipe, knowing that I'll get another monarch eventually.
  • I'd look in Act 1 The Pits for a Monarch, or just play through the game, one *will usually* drop!
I'll take your advice!!!

I do have a reaper's toll so I'll wait till 76.

Do Frozen Orb/Holy Freeze stack? I'm think that + decripfy will do very nicely if so!

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally my go to mercenary on a sorceress is an Insight/Prayer combo (99% of the time). I only mentioned the thing about reapers as a general rule of thumb. It mostly applies to Melee characters that do physical damage.

While Frozen Orb + Holy Freeze + Decrepify will slow down mobs (taking into account chill effectiveness, cold immunities and limitations vs certain special monsters), it's not always worth it. I'd rather have infinite mana!

Reactions: dkn