Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Run question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MaliusArcus, Oct 19, 2006.

1. MaliusArcus

MaliusArcus Diabloii.Net Member

MF Run question

First of all I would like to say hello, first time posting here. You guys have helped me a lot in the past, but now I have a more specific question I couldnt find by searching.

I have a lvl 76 fishymancer, been using him to MF NM mephy. I wanted to move on so I tried runs in the pit, but they have been lackluster at best, I make a lot more gold this way but in the past 15 runs I havent seen a single unique. My question is, would it be best to run mephy until I get my MF% higher (currently at 107%) or am I just unlucky with the pit so far?

BTW I run both on 5 players (single player) with no problems

edit: forgot to mention I was running the pit in hell

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

The best way to MF is to mix things up. That way you won't be disappointed doing 85 runs in the same spot and not finding anything. My first advice is for you to xp to level 90. Then clear Council, Andy, Meph, Pindle, Nihlathak, Shenk, eldritch, the pits, glacial trail, drifter cavern, and WSK.

You should keep looking for good gear to get up to about 300% mf. With 107 you wont find much, but pits drop more white socketables anyway, so less MF is actually GOOD for that. I think you've been unlucky so far. Try doing different areas in act 5 hell and see what you find.

3. MaliusArcus

MaliusArcus Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you, I figured upgrading my gear would be the easiest way to go. My resists are way below par (except poison) in hell, nothing some fancy footwork cant fix though.

But ill XP up then. Thanks again

4. kuafu

kuafu Diabloii.Net Member

Wizardspike is usually the easiest solution for a char stepping into hell for the first time and experiencing resist problem.

5. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman Diabloii.Net Member

If you really want to be an efficient unique/set MF'er, build a specific Hell Mephisto killer, that is : a teleporting Blizzard sorceress. This way, you'll truly find tons of unique/set items :thumbsup: !

6. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

Well, 107MF seems quite low. 4x PTopaz armor and 3xPTopaz helm, shopped / gambled gloves and boots with 20-25 MF and you are easily 200+.

GreyGhost: socketables are not so useful in SP where the runes are actually tough to get. Oh, and people are still saying that low MF is good for socketables, I am not sure if they realize that 2xbetter chance to get uniques doesn't mean that you will get 2x lower chance to get white (grey) items.

From my experience, the MF results are faster if you are focusing on one kind of run and if you have specialized character for that. In my experience, Blizzard sorceress is the best character for MF, because she is the best for: Hell Meph, Pindleskin (the best source of high level uniques and sets - especially in SP, where you can run him 150x in one hour), Ancient Tunnels (another lvl85 area with higher boss density than the Pit, nothing is CI there), Cows (for runes), LK chests (for runes, nothing is naturally CI there).
    I am talking from SP experience, where runewords like Enigma and Infinity are out of reach.

7. Frosty_The_Snowman

What's more, Blizzard Sorceresses are very efficient even with crappy MF gear (like those PTopazed Armor and Helm), because they rely mainly on skills, mastery and synergies to kill. In 8-players games, you will find TONS of items in areas like Ancient Tunnels, and on bosses like Mephisto, Andariel and Pindleskin.

8. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

8-player games only slows you down. If you are after sets and uniques, go P1 for Ancient Tunnels and Pindle, Meph P3 (if the kill is not slow otherwise P1) and Andy P5 (or P3).

9. Frosty_The_Snowman

Yes but in Lvl 85 areas, it's supposed to reduce the zero-drop probability. I frequently clear Lvl 85 areas in 5+ players games on b.net, and I see a huge difference in the number of items dropped :smiley:.

10. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

You are right that the difference in the number of items dropped is huge, but the difference in the number of set and unique items is not so huge (regular monsters have really small chance to drop set or unique compared to random bosses and bosses allways drop one item in all player settings), so running at P1 and concentrating on boss kills is the most effective way of MFing in A85 areas.

11. Frosty_The_Snowman

For unique and set items on Single player, yes indeed, but if you're looking for unique and set items only, bosses like Mephisto and Pindleskin are even better. Clearing entire Lvl 85 areas can be profitable in order to find socketables, but I admit it's less interesting in Single player.

12. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

If I played SP I would definitely twink my gear with an editor, that's why I didn't think of all that stuff you guys are lecturing about.

To me the fun of SP and open is messing with custom-made gearz to build your dream character. For untwinked play ladder seems like the best choice.

13. k/t

k/t Banned

But soon you get items on Ladder and then you're no longer untwinked. On SP you have to do it all by yourself and find every single item you use.

14. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

I'd rather play untwinked on ladder because nice items drop at a higher rate. Nice uniques hardly ever dropped for me on SP. I always had to rely on some crappy rares or a NPC-bought weapon. In my first hell ladder game, I clicked a chest in a house in blood moor and got Magnus Skin. This kind of thing never happened to me in SP.

Finding friends to play untwinked (or even sharing items) on ladder is a lot more fun than doing everything by yourself on SP.

For SP, I like to make the custom items that grant +28 to skills or whatever, give myself a bunch of cool off-class skills, summons, minions, auras, mf, then run around and pwn everthing. It makes me feel better about myself.