MF/RF Tournament - Sign-up and Running

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
Some four hours in, and I do have a score, albeit not a great one. Not expecting much, since I'm playing super casually. But maybe I'll get lucky, who knows.

I've been mostly playing with Necro. Gear is as follows:

Venomous Coronet of Magus 3pnb/20fcr (IstIst) / 1.13 Shako (-5 / +3 poison facet)
+2/10fcr crafted amulet with [email protected] and 9 MF
White Lich Wand (+3pnb/+2 poison nova) / HotO ([email protected])
Enigma Mage Plate
Spirit
Trang's Gloves
Arachnid Mesh
War Travelers (48MF)
Nagelring (29MF)
SoJ
Switch: CtA and Spirit

Inventory: 40MF Gheed's, 4 PnB Skillers, 4 SCs with life/mana/cold res, rest 7MF small charms

Merc: Act 2 Might with Guillaume's, Treachery and Infinity. Insight Iron Golem.

Build is your basic Poison, with extra points going to Golem Mastery. I don't have Death's Web, so I've been alternating with White/Coronet and HotO/Shako setups. Both setups give me 125FCR and 387MF. Both setups perform well, White being more offensive and HotO a bit safer. If I was a wise man, I'd cube out the Ist runes from the Coronet and use facets instead, but meh. Maybe at some point. As curses go, I use both Lower Resist and Amp, depending on mood. If I had DW, I'd probably just use Amp, since it sometimes works better alone even with this setup.

My goal was to level him up to 96 during the tourney, since he was already beyond the halfway point. It was going well for hour and a half, until I managed to teleport into the middle of two Fana/Might mobs and that was that. Really shouldn't play when tired. Corpse recovery was suicide mission, so I lost a bit of progress. Not a huge deal at 95-96, since the Pits still provide steady experience, but a bummer nonetheless.

I felt like I needed a bit of change, so I geared my Javazon for Pit running. Tested few different setups, and setted with this (a bit unorthodox) one:

Griffon's (-19 / +15 with facet)
+2/10fcr crafted amulet with 71mana and [email protected]
Jeweler's Monarch of Equilibrium with 3 facets (-14 / +12 ) and IAS jool
Eth upped Titan's (another in stash)
Enigma BP
LoH
Arachnid Mesh
War Travs (38MF)
10fcr/37mpk 1.07 ring
Raven Frost
Switch: CtA and Spirit

This gives me exactly 99fcr on switch, and 239MF on kill switch. It's ok, but the lack of Pierce is noticeable. Been having good fun with it though, and that's the most important thing, since I never felt comfortable with Pit Java.

Good luck everyone, hope those drops will provide!

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice @Burgomaster3! Why LoH for Java though!? And glad you started running @pharphis. Now if I could only think of a good name for a Fissure Druid... ;) How's everyone else doing?

Managed to run a bit here and there, now at almost 10 hours. Like @Burgomaster3 I have been tweaking my Java a bit and will likely run her for a couple of hours as well, mentioned her basic setup here. With my first ever eth Titan's dropping recently and a second one following shortly, I'm looking forward to throwing these around for a bit (even though they barely make a difference ofc). :)

EDIT: Added the corrected tables to the first post, thanks for stepping in @ioupainmax!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
2:40 in, nothing to write home about so far but I do have some points in the S&U portion of Category 2. Baal and his minions have been rune stingy, only a Shael so far. I've got my run time to about 4 minutes, perhaps it would be quicker if my merc had Guilliame's and Treachery instead of Andariels Visage and Fortitude. (he's using Infinity either way).

smloeffelholz

Diabloii.Net Member
I am nearing the 10 hour mark, and I am enjoying my first tournament. I have always played pretty casually, so I have never taken the time to optimize running a map like this before. Now that I have it down, I am almost able to do AT on autopilot. The only thing that breaks the routine is the occasional screenshot, which really took some getting used to. When I found my first few items, I automatically plucked them up (old habits die hard). Hopefully it is OK that I just threw them back down for the screenshots. If things go well, I might not need those items on the S/U side anyway.

On another note, I have a general question. Are rune drop rates typically poor in AT? I have never done this before, but monsters seem to be especially stingy about dropping runes. I'm not even talking about qualifying runes. I'm keeping all of my tournament drops in a separate GoMule stash, and I was surprised by the low number of overall runes since I am not leaving any behind. Hopefully someone more familiar with AT running will know more about this.

Reactions: Zyr

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
A little less than 10 hours in, and my untwinked 99er Necro hit 96:
96.jpg
One really dumb death set him back a bit, but he recovered the corpse. I was a bit too comfortable and was eating while running when 2x archer boss pack with might and fanaticism plus amp rolled in the big room on my map -- lesson learned. :rolleyes:

He was at 75 FCR breakpoint with Shako (317MF), and will switch to 125 FCR set up, which still leaves him at 225MF. I am hoping he will get past 96.25 over the last 10+ hours.

Best non-qualifiers are a FCR ring and eth Shaftstop:
Code:
Viper Finger
Ring
Required Level: 74
Fingerprint: 0x880854a7
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+10% Faster Cast Rate
6% Mana stolen per hit
+17 to Strength
+18 to Mana
All Resistances +11

Shaftstop
Mesh Armor
Defense: 1023
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Level: 38
Required Strength: 82
Fingerprint: 0x994fac7c
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+219% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+60 to Life
Damage Reduced by 30%
Ethereal
Good luck to all the runners – I have a feeling the scores for this tourney will be special. :)

RIP

Diabloii.Net Member
Already reached my goal for this tourney - lvl 94 :)

Screenshot123.jpg

Also very satisfied with drops, already found 25 grailers which is very nice (although i've started with Grail around 50%, so its not difficult to get grailers at this stage), but most importantly got what i really needed for further adventures with this char...13 hours in, btw

GL to all runers ;)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice 99er progress there @PhineasB and @RIP!

@smloeffelholz As far as runes go, it comes down to killing as many monsters as possible per minute/whatever time measure. AT has rather low overall number of monsters in comparison to e.g. the Pit, so that's why somewhat fewer runes drop there.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Close to 13hrs completed, with varying results. I definitely have 5 qualifiers for both categories, but made the mistake of looking up Spring RFO results and read that nowadays you need multiple Zods to win these things. And combine that with MF drops? I won't stand a chance, but I am expecting the winner to find 3x Zod, Tyrael's and Mang's, at minimum.

I'm getting a bit faster with my runs, but I'm still averaging well below 2M/hr in XP, but at least I am getting XP. I need to read through my previous posts from 1-1.5 years ago here, to see what my ideal solution for reaching 99 was, I think I ruled Nihlathak out but can't remember.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Are people running Ancient Tunnels at /Players 1 or /Players8?
I'm not running AT, running in CS and I'm running /p7.

Since this is a combined RF and MF tournament, I'd go with the highest players setting you can handle without slowing you down too much. /p8 would be ideal since you maximize your chance of dropping runes. If it was pure MF tournament, I'd just go with /p1 and hit only bosses, but with RF included, I'd be more inclined to hit larger packs of regular monsters too to hopefully get a rune or few to drop.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
^ This, except if you don't mind losing out on a little bit of XP, ideal setting is P7 because it's the same drops as P8 but slightly faster due to lower monster HP. Though depending on build and gear, P5 may be more efficient, namely if P5 runs are faster than P7 runs by ~13% (which is roughly the increase in drops from P5 to P7). EDIT: That's with rune drops in mind of course. After finding 5 Zods, it probably makes sense to run on a lower player setting to have a higher number of boss kills/minute to maximize S&U drops. ;)

Last edited:

ziambe

Diabloii.Net Member
... That's with rune drops in mind of course. After finding 5 Zods, it probably makes sense to run on a lower player setting to have a higher number of boss kills/minute to maximize S&U drops. ;)
After my 4th Zod from Baal I decided to stop running /p8 in order to give everyone else a chance.:p

...Then I awoke from my slumber and realized that that wasn't a zod, it was actually a breast plate, and there were in fact four of them.

I shall not miss you Baal!

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
Why LoH for Java though!?
Tested it just to get a little more edge against the archers, especially the odd unbreakable lightning immune. Felt ok so I left it as is. I felt the +3 javelin skills from gauntlets didn't do much at this point (LF lvl 37 without the Lancer's Gauntlets of Alacrity), since most of the mobs go down with one or two Lightning Furys anyway. It's probably just in my head, but LoH feels faster for me ;) Needs more testing still, I think. Maybe some more math-oriented person can provide some numbers about what matters more at these skill levels, +350% damage to demons or +3 to LF and CS.

Btw, am I right to assume, that if one kills mobs at Tamoe Highlands, the runes count but the S/U doesn't?

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
The ED applies only to physical damage, so overall 3/20s add a lot more damage in comparison. I definitely prefer the lightning damage boost always, last but not least to minimize the chances of a low roll (which can be very low due to lightning damage range). Though I don't know how to express that in numbers. ;) Personally I tend to skip unbreakable LIs anyway unless the Merc happens to hit them immediately...

Btw, am I right to assume, that if one kills mobs at Tamoe Highlands, the runes count but the S/U doesn't?
I actually haven't thought of that regarding runes from other areas than the three main targets. But yes that is correct, the runes will count, no reason to treat runes any differently than for areas in RFL.

Last edited:

smloeffelholz

Diabloii.Net Member
Found another pretty cool non-qualifier today.

Not the greatest roll, but I'm not going to complain. I still have about 9 hours left, and my sorceress has already gone from lvl 86 to lvl 91. I don't know what is taking some of you guys so long just to get one level... :rolleyes:;)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Had some time to run yesterday, now at ~14 hours. I recorded and analyzed a ~30 min batch of runs and I was wondering whether I should change the approach a bit, so I thought I'd share some thoughts here. This is the data from those runs:
  • Build/target: PN Necro (125% FCR, ~330 MF) running Pits
  • Boss packs: ~6.72 average per run. Could be higher, but I like the map because it's super small (see vid above) and I'll stick with it, at the very least for this event.
  • P7 Pit run times: 1m8s average. Also timed runs on P5 (though admittedly only a handful) which came in ~5s faster, so P7 seems more efficient.
  • P7 seconds per boss pack: ~10.1
Now about that last number, in conjunction with killing big groups without bosses... I do that, but I'd be interested in how others handle this. I'd estimate runs could easily be in the ~55s range if I only killed bosses (and mobs around them), which would mean ~8 seconds per boss pack and a ~20% increase in S&U drops. However, I'd also estimate the overall amount of kills (and thus rune drops, statistically) to go down by a similar amount. So I'm not sure which makes more sense.

I guess depending on whether you're more satisfied with your S&U or your rune score at a given time, one or the other could make more sense individually. But I'm wondering whether one approach is better in theory overall. How do you guys go about this?

ziambe

Diabloii.Net Member
After numerous electrifying hours in the throneroom, my Javabaaling is complete. Time to cool off with some blizztunneling as I move on to the third and final phase of my plan for world domin...er mf/rf tourney domination...yes that's it...

@ffs with options like LK to farm runes and the fact that I am looking for 1 item only i wouldn't consider /p7'ing a level 85 area for even a moment. I am not worried so much about efficiency as simply achieving my goal of finding 2 sacred armors before the end of the year...and the MF/RF tourney is a rather convenient way to grind out some hours towards this end...

@Friiser and @Shuffleblast I hope old Baal was nicer to you guys than he was to me. I will be taking a much need baal-cation after that 'session'!

Last edited:

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm also clearing bosses/large mobs, which I feel is the balanced approach. Unless I have a large disparity in S/U vs rune quality, I'll stay with this approach. I'm only at 5 hours right now, time to catch up this week!