MF Questions

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
MF Questions

Hey all, I have a few questions about some MFing. Ok, my character's stats are something like (base):

STRENGTH 95
DEXTERITY 200
VITALITY (idk, rest--like 170 maybe)
ENERGY 35

I have about 600 life and about 250 or 300 mana. I know this is WAY too low mana for MFing. I'm going to try to do hell mephisto runs (like I used to pre-1.10), but I think it's the gear that's my problem now. First, I hardly have enough mana to teleport to the durance level 3, and then when I get there, I guess I have too little life to resist mephisto. Oh yeah, my resists are crap too (but aren't most MFer's resists crap?). Just wondering *when* I should start going to do hell meph runs (it's been a looooooooong time since I last did them with my old MF character). I pretty much do the orb/static field thing, and then just run around orbing. Mephisto's attacks aren't that hard to dodge by running, but every now and then a lag spike will get me caught up, or I'll get a lag spike when I'm on top of one of those evil "hands."

Oh yeah, I'm a level 83 meteorb sorceress--I've heard some people just fireball mephisto's ass, but again, I haven't all the skills/synergies maxed out yet.

Help me restore myself to my former glory!

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
A list of your equipment would be helpful, it's very difficult to give advice just looking at your stat point distribution. Skill point distribution would be helpful when asking for help as well (I think)

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Harleyquin said:
A list of your equipment would be helpful, it's very difficult to give advice just looking at your stat point distribution. Skill point distribution would be helpful when asking for help as well (I think)
...ok, let me think here.

HELM: Peasant's Crown
ARMOUR: Skulder's Ire
BOOTS: War Travelers
GLOVES: Chance Guards
RINGS: 2x Nagelring (crap %'s)
AMULET: The Rising Sun (hoping to gamble for a +skills/MF/resists ammy)
BELT: Goldwrap
WEAPON: The Occulus
SHILED: Viscurant (something like that?--need MF shield)

I think that's it.
And uh, skills...I think it's a pretty standard meteorb build:

20 Frozen Orb
5 Cold Mastery
20 Fire Bolt
20 Meteor
14 (maybe?) Fire Mastery (working on maxing it)
?? Pre-reqs

That's just base points, I think most maxed skills are around level 28 or 29 with my gear.

As I said earlier, I think most of my life/mana problems will be solved when I get better gear, more notably the Harlyquin Crest :D .

Hope that helps!

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
having enough mana to tp to meph should not be an issue, just buy pots.

more important is surviving the trip.

fighting meph himself is cake, just do the moat trick.

i started hell meph runs with bad eq at around lvl 72.

k/t

Banned
Originally posted by gibsonSG: "Oh yeah, my resists are crap too (but aren't most MFer's resists crap?)."

No, mine are 75 all and 75% block. Mwa ha ha!

My ladder blizz sorc is slightly crappier. Just slightly. By a lot. Currently she's 67 and I'm gonna run NM Meph and Baal with her for a while. Maybe just Meph.

Oculus gives 20 or 30 to all resists. Is that all you get from gear? In Hell that means you'll have -50 or -40. :eek: Use Moser's with 2 Diamonds. Unless +1 skills isn't worth 63 resist all to you.

Why didn't you get Fire Ball instead of Fire Bolt? At least you'd have another useful spell. I got Orb, Fire Ball, Meteor, Fire Mastery, and then put the remaining points into Cold Mastery. Fire Ball Mephisto's ass? Good idea. Too bad you don't have Fire Ball.

If you keep dying, exchange some of your MF gear for survival gear. Remember that runs have to be fast and efficient, not just with a lot of MF.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
k/t said:
Originally posted by gibsonSG: "Oh yeah, my resists are crap too (but aren't most MFer's resists crap?)."

No, mine are 75 all and 75% block. Mwa ha ha!

My ladder blizz sorc is slightly crappier. Just slightly. By a lot. Currently she's 67 and I'm gonna run NM Meph and Baal with her for a while. Maybe just Meph.

Oculus gives 20 or 30 to all resists. Is that all you get from gear? In Hell that means you'll have -50 or -40. :eek: Use Moser's with 2 Diamonds. Unless +1 skills isn't worth 63 resist all to you.

Why didn't you get Fire Ball instead of Fire Bolt? At least you'd have another useful spell. I got Orb, Fire Ball, Meteor, Fire Mastery, and then put the remaining points into Cold Mastery. Fire Ball Mephisto's ass? Good idea. Too bad you don't have Fire Ball.

If you keep dying, exchange some of your MF gear for survival gear. Remember that runs have to be fast and efficient, not just with a lot of MF.

Sorry, I actually did max fire BALL. I can't really see what I'm doing unless I'm way close up to the screen because I don't have glasses on now--they kinda broke and I'm waiting for new ones. Oh yes, and about the "moat trick"--are you kinda screwed if you run into the council on the "other side?" I mean, if they're blasting hydras at you, or you're getting wrecked by the holy-?? aura, it doesn't help much. I'd rather just dodge around good 'ol meph-pipe, static him and orb him to death.

thanks!

...oh yeah, can ya'll post the link for the "moat trick" if you can?

logger120

Diabloii.Net Member
moat trick: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=143676

as far as equip goes you could use a little improvement. a Harlequin Crest would halp you MF and you life and mana issuse and you can socket it with a pdiamond for 74% MF. I would lose the nagelrings and replace them with a gheed's fortune or some small charms of good luck that way you can get some res/life/mana from you rings.

DO you have a Blade of Ali Baba? if you do use this on switch with a RHYME shield (switch to this form the last hit. i have dual isted ali and rhyme that gives me 160+ extra MF). and you could use the 2 pdia mosers as primary shield for better resists.

lastly try to get a hold of 3 pieces of tal's set. i use armor (pdia 112 MF) + belt (15 MF) + ammy (+2 skills/mana/life/light res and 65 MF set bonus for 3 items). you could also use tals weapon as one of the 3 pieces (either in place of belt or ammy).

yelopen

Diabloii.Net Member
But on the other side of moat there are councils right? it won't work for me then cuz they lightning immune :(

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Doesn't bother me much since I park them permanently, for getting gold for gambling. :lol: I can moat meph's behind after without interference. :clap:

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
not using the moat trick is terribly inefficient if you aren't a melee char. i usually do him in 4-5 blizzes.

re: if the council is on the center part, you can try to park them near the stairs. iirc, they're always lightning immune. you might be better off just aborting. another thing you can do is use a dwarf star or rising sun and just eating the hydras, but they can heal meph during the fight.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
:D
Superhal said:
not using the moat trick is terribly inefficient if you aren't a melee char. i usually do him in 4-5 blizzes.

re: if the council is on the center part, you can try to park them near the stairs. iirc, they're always lightning immune. you might be better off just aborting. another thing you can do is use a dwarf star or rising sun and just eating the hydras, but they can heal meph during the fight.
I was just going to say that--I have the rising sun, and I don't even have to deal with the council. Those hydras help me more than anything lol--saves some pots/trip to town. Oh yeah, I also "re-remembered" the moat trick, and it helps a lot in hell. Only problem--getting close to meph to static him, sometimes I get a lag spike and die. Other than that, I'm doing hell runs pretty quick now.

Thanks for your help--now I just have to wait til that golden shako drops :D

k/t

Banned
Could be a while.

Reduce MF and increase resists bit by bit until you can do runs easily.

If it only takes a few Blizzards to kill Meph, then you could put one or two over the heads of the Council and not have to worry about them anymore.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
k/t said:
Could be a while.

Reduce MF and increase resists bit by bit until you can do runs easily.

If it only takes a few Blizzards to kill Meph, then you could put one or two over the heads of the Council and not have to worry about them anymore.

.....whatever--he dropped me a mara's kalidascope (sp?) and a tal rasha's amulet yesterday :D . I still <3 meph-pipe--I'll get that shako eventually. And I don't even really need the resists that bad--the Rising Sun helps a lot, I just stand there on the other side of the moat, pound meph-pipe with meteors/fireballs/orbs/etc. and the council's hydras just heal me (very quickly too, I might add).