Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF questions.

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by jkho, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jkho

jkho IncGamers Member

MF questions.

Hey !

How does MF work ?
    Does it -->
    - increase the % chance of drops (any type)
    - more 'rarer' items drop (unique -> set -> rare -> magic -> normal)
    - higher 'treasure class' drop

???

I'm looking to pick up a Titans (ilvl50) for my javazon... does that mean Hell Andariel runs would be suffice ?? [Darkness says her level is ~78] or can u recommend a better place ?
    (PS. Hell Andariel dropped a Harlequin Crest Shako last night woohoo!)

2. TheNewHammerInTown

TheNewHammerInTown IncGamers Member

Yes, yes and no.
    Question 1 and 2 are the same. It increase the chance of getting unique/set pieces. As for Question 3 the class is determined by the monster level. Lvl 85 areas you can get the best drops in.

Yes and it is in Act I and easier than Andariel. It is called The Pit. It is located in the tamoe highlands. Jump off at the outer cloister wp and follow the path outside in the Tamoe Highlands to get to the pit. Anything can drop here. With Andy she can only drop certain things. May take a while to get your titans but odds are you will pick up some great tradables here and be able to trade for one. Picked up an arachnid mesh there yesterday.

Dont forget to socket it and use a p topaz. Boost MF to 74% on the shako then

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

MF has no effect here. Drop chances are primarly affected by the number of players in the game (maxes out at 4-5 players, though, so going 8 players is only for exp), as well as party status and "where everybody is" (same map or not).

This is what MF affects. More specifically, to drop an item, the game (this is just a rough description) first determines whether an item drops at all, then it determines the base type ("breast plate"), then it detemines whether it's magic/rare/set/unique ("set breast plate"), then it checks its internal lists for a suitable item (it would find Isenharts breastplate in this example, but for some items there is more than one unique/set item).

Magic find improves the chances for the middle step (detemining magic/rare/set/unique). There are diminishing returns, though, so the actual improvement is much lower than your MF% value (except for magic, which doesn't have diminishing returns).

Also, the game checks for these things in a preset order --- with uniques being checked first. So a high magic find will never make you find fewer uniques because you find more magic items instead: the chance for uniques doesn't improve that much, but it is checked before magics.

Along the same lines, if you WANT magic (blue) items, increasing MF% will still help --- the chance for uniques raises as well, but the chance for magic items raises more.

No. This is the "determine what to drop" step, and there is nothing you can do to affect this --- playercount, magic find, time of day, it all doesn't matter.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

In fact it's "no, yes, no". MF just increases the chance of an item becoming unique, a set item, rare or magical, but only if it's possible. It doesn't affect the number of drops nor their type and if an item can be of just one kind (like potions which are always nonmagical), it won't have any effect either.

The hell Pits aren't a good place for finding Titan's because you will find much less uniques than from act bosses. The point of the Pits is that you get decent XP and high level uniques there (which Titan's aren't) while having a low risk of dying.

The best Titan's dropper is normal Baal, followed by nightmare Mephisto. As normal Baal is only slightly better, I suggest to visit nm Meph because he is faster to reach and he can drop a lot of other good stuff as well. BTW, hell Andy and hell Meph aren't that much worse and they can drop even better stuff.

5. g00tch

g00tch IncGamers Member

I was doing hell pit runs last week while watching tv. I was using my summoner and letting the skllies do the work. I looked back at the computer screen from the tv and saw a unique ceremonial javelin on the ground - titans :D

6. jkho

jkho IncGamers Member

son of a ..... :p

I got a WWS last night from pitts .. woohoo

Why does every1 rate this Bow so highly anyways ??? (i'm after a bow with non-lightning elemental damage.... will the magic arrows from thsi bow do ?)
    is it up there with Faith and WF ???
    What should i put in the 2 sockets ? shael shael ??

edit:
    Also got 2 pieces from Tal Rasha's set.. amulet and the belt :D

7. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

Nice dude, I'll trade you a titans for the amulet if you want lol. :p It would let me complete my 3 piece set of tal's armor/ammy/belt for mfing.

Anyway, I know some zons use an upgraded Witchwild String (that's what you were referring to right?).

8. jkho

jkho IncGamers Member

so teh ammie is pretty good huh ?
    my gf has a lvl73 sorc... so i think its going to her heh.
    I wants the titans though !!! where'd u find urs ??? !

Witchwild String: yea thats it.... is it good ?
    i'm cross posting now doh..... see amazon strategy forums ( i wanna know what to socket it with :D )

EDIT:
    The chick in ur avartar is HOT oddity :) !!!

9. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

Thanks :) (about the girl, her name is Vida Guerra, google her, her website should be the first one. She's a model.)

re: WWS - I don't play zons, so I couldn't really tell ya, ask around in the zon forum...but like I said, I've seen quite a few zons use upgraded WWS's, so apparently it has to be pretty good (upgrading an item bumps the base item to the next higher status, either from normal to exceptional, or exceptional to unique...it adds more damage for weapons, or more defense for armors).

Re: Socketing - dunno, if you need to reach a next breakpoint for GA/Strafe/Whatever, put an IAS jewel or Shael in there...if not, %ed or +max is always good.

Yeah, the ammy is nice because if you get the armor and belt, you can get a buttload of mf/resists (when you have 3 parts, you get an extra bonus in mf)...

I have the armor and belt. :p

I found the titans on hell meph. :cool:

10. jkho

jkho IncGamers Member

Yea i just ahd a read -->
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/sets7.shtml#talrashas

thx 4 the tips dude !
    Time for Hell Mephie runs then ! (i'm still in act1 doing pits and andy :p)
    I'll post in teh amazon forum and see how I go.

PS> Spanish women r HHHHHOOOOTTT !!!!!!

11. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

WWS is a nice bow for many reasons. A) it fires magic arrows, which helps against PIs or physical resistants, B) casts amp damage C) has 40 res all which makes up for not having a shield D) it has 2 sockets, so you can modify it however youd like.

Its the bow of choice for a hunter (druid summon+bow to deal with PI's) Its also one of the best bows for a rogue merc. It doesnt seem to be that good for an amazon IMO, as there are bows that do more damage and add more skills.

the magic arrows arent "elemental" but they convert some "physical" damage to "magic" damage (for the WWS i believe its 20%) Another bow with decent elemental damage is the Kuko shakaku. If fires explosive arrow (adds fire damage) + additional fire damage and pierce.

12. jkho

jkho IncGamers Member

thx 4 the reply dude !
    So 'magic' damage isn't liek Spectral hits (combination of all 4 elements ?)

WWS:
    20% of physical -> magic... sounds good.. but WWS isnt' strong on the physical damage side of things..
    Is it best to socket it with +%ED jewel ?? or Shaels ?
    Wots the highest possible +%ED jewel ?

Kuko.. only slvl7 explosive arrow.. like 40 firedamage only :p

oh and i'm only using normal attack.. nothing fancy like guided of straf/imol/freezing.

13. TheNewHammerInTown

TheNewHammerInTown IncGamers Member

Hell Mephie is easy. If you have MH you can do him 30 times a hour. Just tele (or sprint with vigor if u have no tele) down to him, kill him and dont bother about anything else. I get some awesome drops from him as well and exp is about 500,000 per kill. For the sheer number of decent drops and the ease he ranks right up there with Pindle. One downfall with Mephi though is he cant drop everything. Some of the elite uniques/set items like IK Armor, Trang Oul guise etc cant be dropped by Mephi. You can get everything in the pit however that Mephy cant drop and the exp is good (5-7 million for clearing it). It is a great spot for leveling your merc as well. Took my L2 merc from L79 to L87 in 2 hours yesterday. Now he can use the L81 arcan needle I gave him. Kills most things in one hit in the pit :) Found a Trang Ouls Guise and Scales in the pits but some little f**kwit stole them from me when I was transferring it to a mule at what I thought was a safe waypoint. Not very happy about that as I only have the claws in that set and it would have given me 3 parts of it.

14. Lensor

Lensor Banned

A big seller for the WWS bow is the %deadly strike based on caracter level. :clap: So at higher levels, a zon can effectively do double damage every time, without spending more than the 1 point prereq in the critical strike skill -> lots of skillpoints to put elsewhere. And when amp triggers, she will do 4x damage! Magical arrow means that you also dont have to spend skills in a secondary skill (strafe being the preferred primary skill) to kill Pi monsters. The 40 resall is super also, especially in hardcore (and free up space in your stash for damage, life or skill charms).

Basically, the (upped) WWS has a lot of extremely useful mods, although it deal less damage than WF and Faith (but it is also cheaper than these two). The best is to socked it with shaels or ias/ed or ias/max jewels. 40%ed is max on a jewel.

Kuko is mostly used to level small chars with enchant I think.

Check out Chipmc's WWS guide for more info:
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=240912

It was written before the Fortitude runeword was released. Nowadays the Forti would be the top pick for an armor (if you could aford it).