Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mf question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ysanduil, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ysanduil

Ysanduil IncGamers Member

mf question

does character level have any effect on drops?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

No, it doesn't.

3. Bastadon

Bastadon IncGamers Member

Really? I always thought the opposite. I guess the level of the monster is the most important. Please correct me if I am wrong

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Ok, full explanation:

- Character level affects the level of stuff you buy, gamble, imbue or (in some cases) recieve as quest rewards.

- Monster drops are determined by monster level and Treasure Class. Due to a change in 1.10, any regular monster with level 83 or greater can drop any base item type.

- Chest, rack etc. drops are determined by area level and a hard-coded Treasure Class.

But character level has no effect at all on drops - potentially a level 1 character could kill Hell Baal and recieve a Tyrael's Might for his efforts, with the same chance that a level 99 character would have.

5. Bastadon

Bastadon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the explanation. That helps. What about the required level to use on a charm. Say a small poison charm says you need to be levle 55 to use it. And another charm says you need to be level 65. Say they both dropped in the same act byt the same type of monster. Would you rather reroll the the charm that says you need to be level 65? Or does that not matter at all since they both dropped in the same act.

6. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Where the charm dropped affects the "ilvl" of the charm, which determines the mods which can appear on that charm. This ilvl is affected by the monster lvl that dropped it. Mlvl is determined by the area level of the region which you are in.
    The requirement labelled on the charm is the level requirement for the mod itself.

To answer your question, it is important which part of the act it dropped in. Different parts of the same act have different area levels, although they are generally not too far apart.
    Hell Baal and Hell Nihlathak drop the best small charms for rerolling because of their high mlvl.

If the two charms were dropped by a monster of the same mlvl then it doesn't matter whats written on them, they're both the same for rerolling purposes.