Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mf q's again

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by badgerofdoom, Oct 26, 2006.

1. badgerofdoom

badgerofdoom IncGamers Member

mf q's again

i posted a little while ago about my mf sorc, before i was on nl so i switched to ladder because i wanted insight and other runewords so bad. so i have a sorc with the following items and i was wondering if i should try hell meph instead of nm meph...because nm meph is super easy and im not getting much from it. i didnt even get the items i have from the nm runs, i rushed people for runes and pgems and traded...

Helm: tarnhelm(47%mf)
    armor: skullders
    shield:spirit
    Rings:2 23% nagels
    weapon:eek:ccy
    belt:12% tals
    ammy: some ammy thats 1 sorceress skills...
    gloves: chance guards, sometimes i switch to magefists for faster tele(i dont see what else to use them for)
    boots: some boots i found with 13% mf

merc:
    wep:insight
    helm:vamp gaze
    armor:forget but its not worth mentioning

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

what level are you, and what kind of sorc? There's not much point in running NM if you can survive in hell. Can you do hell runs? It looks like your gear is all for MF, and very little survivability. This will be a problem in hell. Survivability > Killing power > MF. If your spirit shield is at least 33% FCR, then you'll hit the 63% FCR breakpoint which is the minimum recommended. It looks like your resists will be pretty lousy, but if you can tele to meph and do the moat trick it may work.

3. badgerofdoom

im level 86 and blizz sorc, if my stuff is for little survivability then what are your suggestions on some things i can get?

4. MageChick

I'd try to max your resists, or at least get most of them above 60%. You can look for some gear with resists on them, or maybe add in some assorted charms. Some of the best options for resists are Chains of Honor (CoH) and Heart of the Oak (Hoto). If you don't have a torch, than can also be a great help. But those can be real espensive.

If you can't afford stuff like that, look for a viper magi. You can also get 10-15% resist all on a ring or amulet. It's hard to get a lot of resists on boots or belts, but you can probably find a rare piece that may have one or two element resists. "Smoke", a 2 Socket Body Armor with Nef + Lum comes with 50% resist all. Wizzard spike is also a great weapon (I should have mentioned that first).

I'd suggest something like a wizzard spike and spirit on your primary slots, then occy (or a gull dagger) and rhyme shield on weapon switch. This way you can safely teleport down there quickly and with decent resists, then you can hit the "W" button when you've got him 75-90% dead and finish him off with a decent amount of MF.

If you haven't seen this guide before, check it out.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=502611

5. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Pick up items that sell for 20k+ gold and spend that gold gambling boots. It's not difficult to get some boots with 20+ MF and some good resistances. Mods to look for (roughly in order of importance):

Fire/cold/lit resistance
    Magic Find
    Poison Resist
    Faster Hit Recovery
    Gold Find
    Faster run / walk

You might also gamble some 30+ magical MF boots. If they have a good prefix, use those, since a rare can't have as much MF.

I recommend gambling chain boots and lower since those are cheaper, and the defense on the boots doesn't really matter.

If your chancies are 35% or lower, I recommend gambling gloves as well. You can find gloves that equal the magic find of the chancies and have resists. If they are higher than 35, then disregard this.

Boots and gloves are rather expensive to gamble at your level. Consider giving your gold to a level 30 guy and gambling with him; the mods that you are looking for will be just as good. I usually gamble on boots and gloves up until level 50ish, where I change over to rings and ammies.

You should cube any magical amulets and rings that you find. 23% nagels are really low; magical rings can have over 10% higher MF than that. Or they could have similar MF + resists.

For your amulet, I would recommend resists and magic find over skills, but thats just me personally.

6. evaqwesta

evaqwesta IncGamers Member

Problem:
    NM meph is too easy and you don’t get enough for killing him as it is.

Possible Solutions:
    1. Take wakiki’s advice and jump that MF way up. Not only could this help NM meph drop descent stuff, but everything you kill has descent chance to drop something.
    2. My MF bliz sorc has full tals with ists/ptopazes in as many spots as possible. I can kill hell meph very easy. You can further ramp up you’re MF with charms (gheeds, 7mfsc). Gear is full tals, 2x soj (not necessary), spirit monarch, 50 travs, frostburns. This shows that with my 300ish MF I sacrifice almost no survivability and die mostly to the act6 boss LAGmonster.
    3. Get max possible MF and run pindle. Trust me you’ll be glad you have the 600%+ MF while running him because his drop chance is so inferior to meph. You’ll need 0 survivability to kill him with a fully synergized bliz sorc and theres guides explaining pindle very well. If you can get an infinity for your merc and load your inventory up with cold skillers for near instant kills or mf charms you’ll do alright. The worst part about pindle is you have to idle because he takes about 10 seconds to run to the portal, tele, and kill him and if you create games too fast you’ll get failed to join game, etc.
    4. My ‘favorite’ way to MF is to rush people for runes/pgems because NM garuntees a mid run and can drop an um. NM rush takes less than half an hour to get something for sure, and you yourself said that’s how you’ve attained most of your gear.

7. badgerofdoom

well i tried a bunch of those things. im wondering if i should get tals,because i think i could if i really wanted too(already have 3 pieces) and when i use my vipermagi it seems like the mf and defense i get from skullders is better than the upped resistances. right now i have occy and gull on switch, is this any good or should i try to get a wiz spike? i think im finding midlevel stuff but i dont know how to trade it off(natalyas vipermagi aldurs etc.)also i got a fortitude for my merc(made it woot) and im wondering if he can tank hell meph? i found some cow king boots which have 25 mf, are these worth wearing?

8. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

I don't think that putting Vipermagi on was good advice. The small-ish resistances you get from it are not worth sacrificing more than 100 MF for; it would probably be better to replace other items with resist gear and to leave the Skullder's on.

Tal's armor, on the other hand, would be a great thing to use since it has only slightly lower MF and huge resists, but that can be hard to get.

9. MageChick

I'll 2nd the call for Tal's. I didn't suggest it earlier as it looked like everyting you had was pretty low budget.

My thoughts on weapon switch was that you could have the wizzy on primary for huge FCR and resists (good for teleporting to meph) then you could switch to occy or gull when you get there. Occy vs. gull will probably depend how fast you want to kill him. Occy will help with skills and FCR, but gull does have a lot more MF.

10. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

THis is what I did...
    I use vmagi/other items to tele to hell meph. I get him into the moat trick, and switch the gear before he dies. Don't try tanking meph or anything... even with merc.

11. badgerofdoom

i just tried hell meph a couple times and i can do him no problem, without wizspike magi, my merc can tank him :D i dont know how but he only loses like
    | | that much health oh and i cant use wizspike, i dont have enough dex, is the only way to solve this is to get charms?

12. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Well, I play Hardcore, and in Hardcore you will get laughed at if you don't max your block. And after getting laughed at, you will get killed in Hell. I don't know what the standard is for Softcore though.

13. MageChick

not too many blockers in SC. A few PvP builds are based on blocking, but most PvM builds use spirit. Best shield in the game if you ask me.

For Wizzard Spike the only charms I'd use are Anni and Torch. You just don't get much +dex charms. You can use a raven frost if you find it, but more than likely you'll need to put some points in Dex the old fashion way.

You can get the same amount of FCR from a spectral shard or suicide branch, but neither of them have the huge resist bonus. Suicide branch does have some nice other mods (+1 skill, 1-% more mana) and only takes 25 str (no dex) to use.