MF problems with Meteor

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
MF problems with Meteor

I've been doing Nightmare Meph runs and I have a bit of trouble killing him. I drop Meteors on him and it seems like that Fireball could deal more damage (over that time). So I'm wondering, in order to do fire and/or lightning MF runs, do I need Infinity?

For those who are curious, I have...

20 Firebolt
20 Fireball (~4500 damage)
20 Meteor (~5500 damage)
4 Fire Mastery

Sazabi's Mental Sheath
Wizard Spike/Razorswitch
crap armor
Frostburns
crap belt
Sigon Boots
Rising Sun
2 10% Fast Cast rings

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
I had the same problem with hell meph. However I noticed that the fire that the meteor leaves behind stacks. After about 5 meteors the fire starts doing massive dmg. I see no reason why you would need infinity. Just static field meph a few times and spam meteor. With your dmg nm meph should go down fairly quickly.

Sunjeet

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, it seems that Frozen Orb would be needed to slow him down. Either that or a Holy Freeze Act 2 merc. I find that him slowed by either (or both in my case, because it stacks) is quite useful. Also, I would just keep going to Lazruk for a good armor (visit him, if you don't find something good, use a warp point, come back, check again). You will need a decent def and decent resistances (namely poison and lightning, I think) to survive well. I personally don't have any runewords and nm meph is cake. My main thing is that I have +6 skills, w/ the following skills:

1 Firebolt
13 Fireball
20 Meteor
10 Fire Mastery
20 Frozen Orb
1 Cold Mastery

I'm currently stuck on nm Baal. But as long as you do the moat trick, you should do fine. Which part are you having trouble with? The killing? The surviving? The getting to him? The dealing with the henchmen? If you want, I can give you a more detailed way of dealing with him when I'm sober, but just ask, otherwise, I don't wanna waste my time...or my buzz...

Edit: oh, adn as the previous poster said, use static. If you have a decent merc, you can let him take the hits while you static, and then pull back and use the moat trick.

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
The main trouble that I have with him is my merc dying pretty often when trying to tank. I do Static him and I start to drop Meteors, but after a while, my merc dies and Meph starts coming after me, and being a sorceress that I am, I can't tank him so the Meteors become useless at that point. I am using a Holy Freeze merc, but that doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot.

So in actuality, Meteor is great, it's just my merc that can't tank the hits even when I am feeding him potions.

Do you guys drop Meteors and spam Fireball or just concentrate on dropping Meteors? I try to drop and spam but that usually detract me from using Meteor or timing it so that I keep using it after the cool down.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
Grobyc said:
The main trouble that I have with him is my merc dying pretty often when trying to tank. I do Static him and I start to drop Meteors, but after a while, my merc dies and Meph starts coming after me, and being a sorceress that I am, I can't tank him so the Meteors become useless at that point. I am using a Holy Freeze merc, but that doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot.
Mephisto is the easiest of the act bosses if you have any ranged attack --- I actually used bows to kill him with a barb back in the old days.

The secret is called "pathfinding" --- and D2 has a particulary bad implementation of that, meaning that Mepisto won't find his way around the lava barrier (unless you are leading him around it, of course).

The 2nd thing --- if you stand far enough down, you can still see Mephisto's feet while he's trying to get around the lava, but you are out of range for his spells. So, just stand there and launch your ranged attack at him while he will not cast back.

He will not stand still; monsters will run around a bit when the direct path is blocked, but he'll stay around in a rather tight area, so you should be able to get a decent number of meteors to hit him.

Another option is a wand with lifetap charges on switch to help your merc.

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
I know the moat trick, but I find it to be too slow for my liking.

As for the Life Tap idea, I don't think you could leech off him. I gave my merc leech gear and it doesn't work. I don't think Life Tap will undo that.

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
Sunjeet said:
Well, it seems that Frozen Orb would be needed to slow him down. Either that or a Holy Freeze Act 2 merc.
Holy Freeze doesn't work on act bosses...Frozen Orb will slow down a bit...If you're a meteorb, your Frozen Orb will probably be a better killing skill than Meteor. I don't know about nightmare Mephist, but Hell Mephisto has 75% resist all...which will severely cut down your meteor damage, while Cold mastery will give the upper hand to Frozen Orb, even though it's damage seem lower...I haven't tried this with a godly meteor, but with average gear Frozen Orb is better.

For your mercenary you need some damage reduction gear...Shaftstop and Vampire Gaze would be ideal, also Kelpie Snare for the slow is absolutely perfect. Even then Hell Mephisto can still kill him, so better finish him off quickly.

You can also alternate between a timered spell Frozen Orb/Meteor and a non-timered spell Fireball...so you shoot Fireball in the "cool-down" period.

FlyingPerson

Diabloii.Net Member
you better go fixup your gear first..
i dunno how much you can afford, but I AM SUER you can afford an 'ancient pledge' and 'stealth' for sure..why not use them instead of a "crap armor"
those 2 are easy to make, and quite useful IMO

if you cant keep mephisto stationary, then i would recommand FO to be a better skill to kill him. Meteor only works well when monster are stationary

by the way, for static field, i think it works pretty poor on mephisto...i think static field effect by lightning resist now or something...4 static field can drop nm diablo's hp to half, but it probably takes 8 for nm mephisto...

on the other side..if i were you, i will keep my merc alive by feeding him full rejuvinate potion, and keep drop meteor and shoot fireball at same time..

again, infinity not going to work for you if you put it on merc, unless you gonna use it urself.....

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm currently doing the moat trick, it's slower, but it gets the job done. Here's an update on my gear..

Helm: Tarnhelm socketed with Perfect Topaz
Amulet: Rising Sun
Weapon: Staff with +3 Fire Skills +1 Meteor/Wizardspike
Armor: Goldskin
Shield: Prismatic shield
Gloves: Frostburns
Belt: Tal Rasha
Boots: rare 20% r/w, 17% MF
Rings: 2 10% Fast cast

20 Firebolt
20 Fireball
20 Meteor
15 Fire Mastery

As it stands now, I could deal about 6k with Fireball and 12k-13k with Meteor on impact (~900 for burn damage). I do have an Orb sorceress, but I wanted to try something new.

Why won't Infinity work with my merc? I see sorceresses use Infinity on their merc and Conviction still works on the monsters.

riath

Diabloii.Net Member
Grobyc said:
Why won't Infinity work with my merc? I see sorceresses use Infinity on their merc and Conviction still works on the monsters.
It would seem FlyingPerson got confused. Only the -light resist aspect of infinity applies specifically to the merc. The conviction aura, which is the idea here, still works just fine.

Edit for clarification: The reason some people say Infinity doesn't work is in the context of light sorcs. Some people said that the -light res benifited the sorc's spells as well, but others corrected them with "Infinity doesn't work like that." FlyingPerson just seems to have misunderstood that.