Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mf -- popper -- barb.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Avraham, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Avraham

Avraham IncGamers Member

Mf -- popper -- barb.

Is this the thread to consult for an MF barb? http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=479008

What about skill point allocation?

And what about sword / shield instead? Or, is the goal to kill on your own? Or just leech off of others on CS runs? In which case, you can max war cries for max possible leeching (without people calling you a leech, as your an "asset" to the team").

Thanks,

Av

P.S. How's the classic community going? Is it as strong as ever, or is it losing members?

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Aye, that thread would be a good place to start.

Point allocation is personal. I prefer full/max Item Find, other people prefer level 8-12 itemfind.

You could s/s, but people prefer mace class because it doesn't require dex and every point in str gets you slightly more damage then with other weapon classes. In the end it's up to personal choice and esthetics.
    Since dex doesn't influence blocking and weaponspeed doesn't affect WW in classic, mace is just a choice weapon for a MF barb.

You'll probably want max BO, which is all other partymembers expect of you. Shout is just a little extra which most of them do not need, since most CS damage is elemental to casters like blizz sorcs and hammerdins.

Classic community is stable, though I'm not keeping count. There are people who come from LoD and head over to classic because they are disillusioned with the (in their words) overpowered runewords and that you can't improve your gear once you have that unique that goes with your class.
    While in classic we have the rares, which can allways be improved. So there is allways something to covet.

3. Avraham

Avraham IncGamers Member

I was thinking along the lines of 8-12 item find as well. I haven't found many people with more than 16+ item find.

How about lance? Some guy who has a brother on the top 10 barb ladder told me that a lance would be better than a mart for Mf barb.

Besides BO, what about other skills? Natural resistance, stoneskin? Would 5 in each do?

I tried playing classic for a few hours. I quit soon after.

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

A lance has 25 durability, a Mart(most commonly used mace weapon for a MF/GF barb) has 60. Range 5 is amusing, 25 durability isn't.
    Then there's the matter of average damage :
    Martel de Fer 61 to 99 (80 Avg)
    Lance 27 to 114 (70.5 Avg)

But, it mainly boils down to esthetics. Do YOU want your MF barb to look like every other MFbarb out there ?

after 7 points in nat res, you get one more level from BC, 8 in total, gives you 50% res all. Which is a nice way to compensate for the Hell -res. After that level, you get 2% or less per skillpoint.
    If you choose to wear a goldskin, add another 35 res all. Then mebbe a amu with some res and you're good to go.
    You might go for Goomba's(He advocates it like he has shares in the factory) proven effective sig boots, belt, gloves combo. Then you will have another 40% cold res from boots and 20 fire res from the belt. Not to mention the 10 str, 10 ll, defence boost (+100 def and +2 def per level) and offcourse the 50MF. Add a 3 sock ptopaz helm and you got the MF part of your barb covered aswell. Then you could add some high AR rings just so you hit some more, or instead of goldskin and res amu get angelics armor, amu and rings, for another 50% MF per ring and an obscene amount of AR, some more res, a boatload of life(75+20+20) and a nice bit of regen.
    Any kind of stone skin or shout points are wasted imho, since you will be wearing relatively low defence armors, due to wanting some MF.
    Increased speed... well, you could, but personally, I think more then one point in that is wasted unless you are building a BvC speeder.

So if you quit classic, why all these questions ? :)

5. Avraham

Avraham IncGamers Member

Okay, so here's been my experience so far with a pure MF barb (no ww, no mastery, no effective means of confronting an attack):

20 FI
    20 WW
    20 NR
    20 BO
    5 shout

No good pops, but I made the error of becoming a baron and the pops (seemingly) got worse. I remember a lvl 90 popper who was a baron going about saying he was getting gg bps (breast plates). They were only dual resists and low resists at that. Nothing good on his part really.

Now I'm working on my solo ww mf barb which follow this guideline (please critique at your wim):

20 WW
    20 Mace mastery
    20 BO
    8 FI
    12 +/ in NR

170 STR
    300 +/- into vit

Soloing trav, perhaps with or without a friend (I just want the ability to choose).

Weapon: 250 crappy mart.
    MF weapons: Gull x 2.

Armor: Goldskin.
    Armor for popping: Angelic mantle.

Helm: Tarn.
    Helm for popping: 3 P topaz.

Rings: x2 halos (do they give +50% x 2 for dual usage?).
    Rings for popping: same.

Amulet: Angelic wings (same on and off for popping).

How does this sound for a popper? Is it possible to make a 100 str (50 req for steel driver) almost pure vit popper barb?

Thanks very much to those who answered previously.

P.S. I think pure popper barbs suck... I got to 82 in a day and found that for the next two weeks I popped nothing. However, on my other char, who isn't a baron, level 60, I've popped mad things.

6. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

o_O

I advocate angellic armor/ammy/ring for mf baba's. none of mine use sig stuff.

o_O I haven't intentionally used sig items (except for the shield on a chantress whilst shopping for a chanter stick) in over two years.

I do like increased speed, for if/when I'm chasing the hoards in CS runs, or the rare time that I need to leap/run to the CS. it also makes it easier to run around in CS to take out teh oblivion mages if/when I'm solo MFing cs.

lvl 1 shout is usually as much as I do, but I sometimes will toss a couple into iron skin for $hits n giggles.

7. Avraham

Avraham IncGamers Member

What is your account name, Goomba? I am online on UsEast right now.

8. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

My standard MF WW barb...

WW-20
    Bo-20
    Mace Mast.-20
    Find Item-16
    Natural Resi-Rest

Stats
    Strength-250
    Dex-Base
    Vit-250
    Energy

Equipment
    Helm-3 Topaz Helm
    Ammy-Angeilcs
    Armor-Angelics
    Weapon- High Damge Mart with a form of leach and with out cold dmg or Knock Back

Belt-Gold Wrap
    Gloves-Hand of brock or duel leach MF gloves
    Rings-Angelic Rings
    Boots-Resist plus MF mods to look for

This character works. The life may look low, but trust me this character with practice can solo Hell CS. Just watch out for iron madien and there are host of ways to avoid it...

Other wise do Hell Flayers Runs in an 8 person game to level up

The angelics add a great amount of mf, some fire resist, skill and your needed AR... Make sure both forms of leach are coveed at least 6 Life leach and 3 mana leach works... keep all resist in positive except for psn, this character will do hell trav, flayer and CS with just a bit of skill