Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF percentage?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sbn, Oct 29, 2006.

1. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

MF percentage?

I last was playing D2 back in ver. 1.09. Picked up the game about a month ago again and have gotten used to most of the changes. Do have a couple of questions I hope people can answer.

Earlier having more than 150% MF was very bad, all you got essentially was diminishing returns on uniques. Trying to look this up the best I have found was a post on Bnets forum where someone stated this was a bug that was patched. Now it seems people seem to have easily 300+.

So far the highest and nicest items I have found were done when I dropped my MF down to around 150%. Right now for example my Sorc on ladder who has 312MF finds almost nothing unique, but lots of rares. Yet earlier I have eaisily found items such as Nightwings Veil, Lidless, Buriza, Atmas, War Trav, etc. all with my Amazon who has around 150%.

Now one of the biggest changes is the importance of runes now. Back from what I remember, people really only did runewords when they didnt have nice uniques. Are people using high MF not to find uniques but more and better items to use for runewords?

I took a look at the sections here at diabloii.net, yet I see a lot of this site has just not been updated in some time so I do not know if the information is now relevant.

One last question. To date I have only found a couple of decent ED jewels. Do these have now fewer drop rates? I seem to remember back in the day finding lots and lots of them somewhat easily.

2. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

they use mf for both uniques and runeword items really (or those godly rares). i'm thinking that they made it harder to find items since 1.09, but don't quote me on that lol.

3. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

If you are manly looking for socktebles i'ts better to go with 0mf so the odds for white/grey items dropping does increase compared to rare and uniques. The runedrops are not affected by mf anyway.

Personaly I do not care about loads of mf. If I have some slots free, then they will be filled with mf gear. Depending on build this is 0-600mf.

One of the things i like is every item quality(magic too) can be the optimum for a specific slot. Nevertheless people are more after uniques and runewords.

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

That was somewhere in classic, a really long time ago.

That's the nasty thing about perception, it can mess with your memories. With higher MF% the chance of finding uniques/sets/rares/magic is larger, but it's still mostly luck. When you get richer you stop noticing the uniques that used to be worth picking up, and thus you seem to find less.

Runes are not affected by MF% and the chance of finding socketables drops with more MF%, so that's certainly not true.

That's P8 cows against P1 pit/whatever you're running, so the no-drop chance is bigger and you're killing less monsters per run.

Blizz increased the chance of finding unique/set/rare in 1.10.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's not magical and rare items which will reduce the chances of nonmagical stuff significantly, it's magical items. Rare, set and unique items are still dropping rather infrequently, but with high MF, the chance for them to drop will increase from a fraction of a percent to a clearly higher fraction of a percent, resulting in significantly more of them in comparison to what it is without MF.

Regarding rare, set and uniques items, MF subject to diminishing returns:

True MF = (MF*X)/(MF+X)

with X=600 for rares, 500 for set items and 250 for uniques.

For me, 300%MF is good enough, but if you are mainly looking for rares or set items, higher numbers still pay off quite well.