MF on runes?

mrGrobyILM

Diabloii.Net Member
MF on runes?

OK, so here's the deal...
I recently had a debate with a friend, and in the end we came up with...well, absolutely nothing!

The question is: "Does MF% affect the quality (lvl) of the runes that drop?"

That's about it, for today...:smiley:

ispankpigeons

Diabloii.Net Member
mf has no effect on rune drops.

not technically true.

if you have higher mf, you'll probably get LESS runes from your countess drops, because of the way she generates drops.

this still wont affect WHICH runes drop, just the amount of them.

this is why its better to do a countess run with a character with little to no mf, and in a private one person game, as more people in the game will do the same thing to the amount of runes.

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
if you have higher mf, you'll probably get LESS runes from your countess drops, because of the way she generates drops.
Only the amount of player in game and the same area have an effect on the amount of runes droped.

The way countess drops are generated predict to run her in a one player game.
For the other monster the oposite is true. Then less no-drop means more runes dropping.

Mf has only an effect when let's say a cristall sword is selected to drop, the game then need to decide wheter the cs shoud be white, magic, rare or unique.

TheBhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Only the number of players affects the rune drop. even then, not by much.

Get into 8 player bnet game, go away from everyone and kill lots, and I mean lots, to maybe get an ith........

Odds are like 10000000000:1 to get an hr from each rune drop

edit: I'msure someone will give the exact ratio but you get the idea

mrGrobyILM

Diabloii.Net Member
What do you think of Blood Moore (hell, ofcourse) for the rune drops...

Last few hours I've been doing "runs", and I've got a pretty decent drop...They are rare (quantity of drops), but the quality of runes are surprissing.

Just like to hear your opinion on that...

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Incorrect, MF has noting to do with rune drops.

The only thing that does is more or less people in the game.
And the only reason more people in the game will make more runes drop is by increasing the sheer quantity of items dropped.

When the game decides what to drop, it decides on what sort of thing to drop for each item. It could drop... I can't remember the exact categories offhand, but it separates things like weapons, armor, "loot" (which can include jewellry, jewels, and things), and runes. There may be others, I'm not 100% sure, but this is to give a general idea.

Your magic find kicks in after this. Say, if it picks whether it wants to drop a weapon or armor, your magic find increases the odds of it being magical. But the mf% is only given any sort of power over the item drop AFTER the base category is chosen.

Flaming Banana

Diabloii.Net Member
this is getting confusing. but i doubt mf has much to do with more rune drops, because, well, are runes magic?

noob giving his opinion...yay.

Megafusion

Diabloii.Net Member
it seems to me that i get betr runes with higher mf, i did like 3 runs with my mf sorc on hell countess and got much betr runes than when i did it with my hammer pally. My sorc has like 400 mf, while my pally just over 200..

ppz

Diabloii.Net Member
it seems to me that i get betr runes with higher mf, i did like 3 runs with my mf sorc on hell countess and got much betr runes than when i did it with my hammer pally. My sorc has like 400 mf, while my pally just over 200..
3 runs is hardly statistically significant. Memory can be selective. Magic find has no effect on how many or what runes are dropped in a game.

Increasing the number of players increases of overall amount of things dropped in the game, and hence more runes. The countess is a little special where she has 2 different drops. The first one is her normal drop and follows the patterns as detailed above, then she has a special rune drop. IF all or most of her drops are used up (she can only drop 6 things between the two drops) she can't drop any or as many runes from the rune drop. So, there is an optimal number of players to run the countess, but running alone won't change things too drastically.