Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF on mephisto

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by helvete, Sep 14, 2006.

1. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

MF on mephisto

I just made a "stuck" sorc to MF hell mephisto in other ppls games (where the quest is already done, so that I never complete it). I don't have much mf at all (maybe 150-200 total) and I'm using rather weak equip in general (went with a all vita sorc this time, no str at all).

So far, the difference seems HUGE compared to my other sorc (not "stuck") with around 3 times as much MF (and she can kill much faster as well, because she's 10 levels higher).

Is it just me, or is the difference in drop rate indeed very large?

Maybe I should pack on skullders (using vipermagi atm) or tal belt/armor/amu combo (using crafted amu and belt atm) for like twice the MF? (but then I'd have to invest in str, probably - not that it matters for this great drops).

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Assuming you're getting the quest drops, which sounds like you probably are, then the difference isn't that high, but still pretty good. Basically, you'd only really be rolling the Act 4 (H) Equip A and Act 4 (H) Good treasure classes, and the unique, set and rare modifiers are slightly higher than the non-quest counterpart.

The differences that this provides can be pretty good. For example, the odds of getting an Arreat's Face from the quest drop is 1:3279, and yet is 1:4955 for non-quest drop (players 1, 0% MF). You'll notice the gap dimishes when the player count gets higher, and the MF% increases, but it's still pretty good.

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Yes, I'm getting the quest drops. That was my intention from level 1 with this sorc. What i was wondering is if increasing my MF on the quest drops would give some insane drops compared to my other sorc that can't get quest drops (except from Andariel, ofc).

EDIT: actually, it seems that meph drops six items from his quest drops almost all the time with only two people in the game, and ATMA shows the same drop rates for players 3-8 for meph Q drop.

Chance for arachnid mesh with 1 player game, 200%mf:
    Normal drop: 1:1245
    Quest drop; 1:823
    Quest drop with two players: 1:670

So almost double the chance by having someone else create, and have an act 3 sorc kill, than doing everything in a private game.

This should be worthwhile, as MFing in pairs could become popular (or is it already?) Hammerdin creates, and go keys --> baal, while stuck sorceress goes mephisto --> andariel...

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I thought to get the quest drop you'd have to do it the other way. i.e. make the game with a char that hasn't done the quest. If you Hammerdin creates it (or you join a pubby game where its already don) then the quest is already done -> no quest drop.

I used to do something similar with a friend when we wanted to go key finding. For some reason he had never done the coutess quest in act 1. So when he made the game and I ran the key, I'd get the treasure chest drop. (yeah only gold I know, but I think the principle is the same) But I were to take a new char into hell and do the coutess in a game where the maker had already done it - I wouldn't get the treasure chest to pop would I?

*edit - now that I think about it, it worked the other way too. I had never done the halls of pain quest (nihil... something like that), so when I created the games, my friend would get a bigger drop on him, but of course I wouldn't get the quest. In the end this is the way we ended up running for keys as he'd get a better drop - its not like getting the treasure chest on the coutess does much for you.

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

This is something entirely different.

To get the quest drop from an act boss, only ONE thing matters, and that is that the character who has the killing blow has not completed that act boss quest. So if you never complete it, then you get the quest drop every time you kill that act boss.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Only act bosses have quest drops. None of this makes any sense. Nihlathak and the countess (and the summoner, blood raven and any other superunique) drops the same, regardless of the quest.

Act bosses don't check the quest status of the game, they check the quest status of your character.

Meph q incomplete: That character killing = q drop
    Meph q complete (for character): That character killing = no q drop.

Even if you are rushing a character, YOUR character will not get quest drops from that game, only if HIS character makes the killing blow, quest drops will occur.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's right. Therefore the game has to be created by somebody who has already finished the quest, so nobody can finish it and gets the "you can't solve that quest" info in the quest window.

The first kill drop and solving the quest are two different things. For example, if you kill Andariel for the quest, she will always drop a couple of gems. That's her quest drop. In addition, act bosses can only drop rares and better (magical items only in case of failed set items, failed unique charms (LCs and SCs) etc.) as a part of their first kill drop. The boss will stop making first kill drops for a character when both the quest is solved and the character performs the kill personally for the first time, which doesn't have to happen in the same game. Exception: Andariel, but that's another story.