Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Necromancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Breadmold, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Breadmold

Breadmold Diabloii.Net Member

MF Necromancer

I noticed there was a guide for a MF Poison/Bone Necro in the listing, but I wasn't sure if this was the best build for a mf necro.

I've got a lvl 17 right now, and he's strictly a summoner so far. Would I have to rebuild him (start from scratch)? All in all, what is the best build for mf'ing with a necromancer? Also, skill/stat distributions would help as well.

Thanks!

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew and feel free to raise some corpses.

It isn't the best build for MF since it is really gear dependant, but it could kill fast. Nowadays I guess MF is easiest with a well built Summoner.

3. NecromanSassin

NecromanSassin Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I'd have to say use a summoner. I found the Fishymancer is a good killer if you are going to run places like the pit and wsk (if people mf there. . .). Fishymancer also works on bosses, though the killing may be slow. You never get killed by a boss though (or am I mistaken?). Also, you want a way to teleport. Summoners can go without teleport, but not nearly as fast.
    I don't like relying on mana (disreguarding tele) (most bone/poisonmancers). So I do have a bias with my decision.
    -necsin

note: Summoners are not reliant on +skill equip, so you could get some nice mf gear for one.

4. Breadmold

Is Nightfish's Skelliemancer guide still relevant? It's over a year old, and I didn't know if there were any big changes since then with the Necromancer skill tree.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I really appreciate it!

5. GotFriana

GotFriana Diabloii.Net Member

I think the guide should still be relevant if Im not wrong there hasn t been any changes for the Summoners since version 1.10 of the game.

Im not an expert but personally I prefer to do something different than what is adviced on the guide, it says max Golem mastery but I barely ever use any other golem appart from Clay while I do use Skeletal mages quite often so I do invest more than 1 point on them. This is just my personal preference of course. :)

6. Breadmold

Oh yeah, quick question on the Clay Golem. Don't people call them "gumby"? I think I've heard the term used on more than one occasion, lol. Why is that?

7. garion

garion Diabloii.Net Member

yeah easiest..mfer is the pure summoner..which you can augment a wee bit to having other emphasis in skills...but summoner for sure...he can wear all the nice mf gear...

chancies....war travs...nagels...=)...nigma...shako/with ptopaz (i forget i haven't played in sometime)...a shield with +mf pgems or slendor/rhyme (one of them had 20-25% mf)...gheeds...7% mf scs...goldwrap....and there was a dagger with mf on it too i forget (man im getting old...=/)

8. Spiritclaw

Spiritclaw Diabloii.Net Member

Because the clay golem is made out of clay. Gumby is referring to the old claymation character Gumby (of Gumby and Pokey), used to be on tv.

9. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

My gear for mf summoner:
    Chancies
    War Travs
    2x nagel
    35mf/28res all ammy
    enigma
    shako
    dual ist baba
    pdiamond humon
    Tgods belt (prolly should get something better here,UP'd goldwrap prolly, but the light absorb, vit, str are all nice)
    13skellies/mages, Infinity merc and insight golem

I could get more mf with shield, but I don't want to lose the +curses and +CE. If you cound a head with +3 CE and +3 amp, put rhyme or splendor into it. I have something like 600mf (inc charms). I prebuff skellies with hoto/+2 marrow/+3 summon ammy and just switch out at stash. It only takes a second and is well worth it.

Infinity is for CE damage and %chance to hit for summons (it seriously helps out, takes forever when he dies).

Inisght golem is for unlimited CE'ing mana (get to lvl 85 and he won't die, save for IM).

Other than that, have fun!

10. Breadmold

On the iron golem, that Insight sounds like a great idea. I recently learned that they can go from game to game, which is pretty cool. If I made a golem from Insight and he died though (via IM), does that mean I'd have to make another Insight to get the golem back? It seems risky...I'm not too rich :)

11. kaervek

kaervek Diabloii.Net Member

Yep if the golem dies (or you die) you lose it and have to make another insight. The runes arent too bad though. I'm not sure if IM is such a big deal, just make it in a normal weapon instead of elite to reduce his damage output. Its not like you'd be counting on him to kill stuff anyway. Unless his inherent thorns aura damage counts for IM resulting in his own aura killing him. That would suck.

I've got a gambling fetish so as well as MF gear i also aim for max GF gear too. Besides, the difference between 400 and 600 mf is quite small. anywho:

Tarnhelm w/ptopaz
    wealth (enigma for below ground areas)
    up'd goldwrap (to hold more pots)
    chancegaurds
    dwarfstar
    nagel
    rare boots 25%mf 75%gf
    ali baba w/ 2 lem.
    gheeds w/ 140%gf 30%mf

400%mf and 1300%gf

This gives gold piles of 4-7k on avg from normal mobs which adds up very fast. It also gives you something to do while your skeletons kill stuff. It doesnt hurt the mf too much. 400-500% mf only gives 13% more chance for uniques.

prebuffing is important, I keep Aokl and a +3 summon head on weapon switch and ali baba + homo on main. The gold is mainly to gamble better amulet/circlets/rings/boots which are not really feasable to find via normal hunting. Of course switch out goldfind for MF if doing bosses but for normal things gf is great, pulling in 1-2mil per area.

12. Breadmold

Since I'm a summoner, concentrating on MF, should I invest the pts into dexterity for Max Block? I know Necros only get 2hp per vit point, so for me it's still a tossup. Right now, I'm pretty weak and hide behind my minions, but when I'm running ahead, sometimes I can't pull back fast enough and get a couple whacks and nearly die :/

13. themachine

themachine Diabloii.Net Member

My MF necro summoner setup for gear:
    Ammy: +skills and 35%mf
    Rings: both rare with MF and other stats
    Armour: Enigma
    Helm: Harlequin Crest (will give it a PTopaz someday)
    Weap: AOKL (would like to Ist it someday)
    Shield: Homonculous w/PDiamond
    Gloves: Chance Guards, upped
    Boots: War Travs
    Belt: Goldwrap, upped
    Gheeds and several MF sc's

Merc:
    Helm: Stealskull, upped, ethereal
    Armour: Skullder's Ire, ethereal (soon to be upped)
    Weapon: Insight Thresher, ethereal

You dont NEEED max block but it is always nice. I'd invest more into Vitality if I were you.

14. Breadmold

Since this is going to be my main character, I'm trying to get plenty of feedback or suggestions, and I really appreciate all your help themachine. Did you mean go for max block and invest leftover points into vit, or did you mean to forget about max block and invest everything extra into vitality?

Just wanted to clarify, thanks :)