Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Batang, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

MF necro

Since the new ladder season is about to start, I'm thinking I'd be best off making an mf'er as my first char again. I'd prefer not to make the cookiecutter hammerdin or meteorb mf'er, however, and since I don't have a lot of experience of playing necromancers, I figured it'd be fun to try one out.

What I'd like to know is if necromancers make decent mf'ers in general, and how they do at the start of a ladderseason without any gear (in comparison to other chars in the same situation ofcourse).

If they do well, what would be a good mf build for a necromancer? I was thinking some sort of summoner would be interesting to try out, but if there's a build that does much better at mf'ing than a summoner, I'd be interested to hear about it/them aswell. Also, if there are certain zone's I'm best off running for items with a necro, I'd be interested to know about this aswell (meaning that I've got a feeling that a necro wont be the best boss runner at the start of a ladder season, for instance).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :wave:

2. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

Re: MF necro

+3 skeleton wand - you can shop this in act1 normal
    +3 summon amu - gamble/ID all amu
    +2 summon nekro shield - ID all necro shield and you found one soon
    +1 helm - ort+sol

lvl29 skeletons = enough to clear WSK or CS

mf
    4 PTopaz armor
    mf gloves, boots, rings, charms
    around 200 MF

max skeleton mastery
    max skeleton
    max CE
    1 in aplify damage

3. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

An alternative to the +3 summon skeleton wand would be Spirit, since this gives you both +2 all skills (more importantly Summon skele + Skeleton mastery + Summon resist + Clay golem + Golem mastery) as well as ~100 mana and ~20 vitality. I'd choose that any day, but maybe thats just me...

also 1 point decrep and some points in Dim Vision might prove helpful (not including the obvious 1 point clay golem/golem mastery as well as ~3 in summon resist).

peace!

4. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips. Now that I've taken a look on a few guides, I'm considering to make a build something like this:

20 raise skeleton
    20 skeleton mastery
    20 bone spirit
    20 bone spear
    1 summon resist
    1 clay golem
    1 blood golem
    1 iron golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 to all curses
    and the rest into bone wall

Would this build work? Also, if I was to look for an mf build for a necro that I could do quick runs with, (aka, not having to summon truckloads of skeletons before I can start the actual run) what kind of build would be best for this? Maybe a pure bone necro? Are bone necros viable at the beginning of a ladder season without any items, and are they even good for mf'ing?

5. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

bone necros are weak in pvm(compared to the cookie cutters). especially without maxed sinergys. summon necro(with ce) is one of the best MF char for the new season. easily in the top3:p

6. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Bone necros aren't that good for mfing. If you don't want to summon a whole army you could try a poison nec. They're only good for pit runs though. Only the pit, nothing else.
    Summoners can be good. I wouldn't say bone armor/synergies though. Only worth it for bone necs imo.

7. Kaotic Dragon

Kaotic Dragon IncGamers Member

8. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

If you use the "skellie garden" (Pindle's area) you can make your whole army without any fighting. Just start your run with pindle, shenk, eldritch, then there is no time wasted.

I agree with the above posts poison/bone necs are a little item dependent, fishy is probably your best bet.

9. Batang

Batang IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for all the input, I appreciate it. I've decided to make a fishymancer, since it seems to be both good for mf'ing aswell as entertaining. I can't wait until I get home from work tomorrow to start lvling my char. :jig:

10. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yeah, the ladder reset is so soon yet it feels like ages. I also live in Sweden so I will have to wait to like tomorrow evening. But still, I go to bed earlier than you anyway so..

11. Stefo

Stefo IncGamers Member

Isn't barb better for MF? I'm trying to make a skelliemancer and he needs lots of +skills, aura and res gear, is really there enough room to get also decent MF? And how much is it decent? ^^'

@lumpor: Stockholm? it should be as for Rome, the new ladder should be available at midnight (starts at 9 am PDT, ends 6 hours later, PDT is GMT -8). I hope I manage to play a few hours before getting to sleep XD

12. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, that's right. Our time is before the americans. Got it the other way round. Anyway, have to go to sleep now, But I will play on the new ladder first thing in the morning

13. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

you'll find other chars that are also good at MFing (Barb with item find, Sorc, Hdin) but the summoner is a great whole area clearing character. last ladder i wore about 450mf and had no problems clearing all the big mf areas. it's not as fast as a sorc or hdin at running bosses, i will concede that.

450 is probably a little much. most people will say you don't need much more than 350 or so .. after which the sacrifice of wearing decent gear just for the sake of more mf is not worth it.

skellies are great tanks. combine that with a decent damage might merc, and lots of corpse explosion, and you should be able to walk through high level areas in hell for good drops.

hard to get gear this early on ladder, but i hope i can get my next summoner up there so that my other chars can get some decent stuff to wear =)

14. Selway

Selway IncGamers Member

Yeah, if you want to MF, stick to the fishy guides. You need to keep the synergies between the curses, Summonings and CE. Dont mess with bone stuff in this build or you will gimp yourself.

15. daneBO

daneBO IncGamers Member

A Barb (Frenzy) is only a superior (MF) if it is fully loaded - enigma, lastwish, grief, shako, level 90-93. I had one on last ladder and that is my goal again. Fast, does uber, but gear dependent and dupe runes are a necessity.
    To get there I created Fishymance. The 2 builds are about as opposite as you can get. Now, all I need to find are some bers, jahs, etc. etc.

16. tokeabowl

tokeabowl IncGamers Member

I started the season off with a gf summoner, and it's working really well. It is weak, but can still clear pits, ancient tunnels, council, and shenk. It ends up with really good mf too so you can get lucky with pits or tunnels and get a good drop as well as trade circlets and ammys for stuff you need. Here's my setup:

Crown of thieves
    Wealth BP
    ali baba (lem)
    homonculus
    goldwrap
    infernostride
    chance guards
    2xdwarf star
    random all resist ammy

Either way, if you're going to play a summoner start by getting homonculus, spirit, and some decent merc gear. This gear will let you easily mf the above places, except maybe the council.

good luck