Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Meteorb reached Hell and...OMG!!!!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Sunjeet, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

MF Meteorb reached Hell and...OMG!!!!

I have a level 70 MF Meteorb and killed NM Baal rather easily. Took about a minute (he kept pushing me away with that blue V thing) and I didn't get anything good. So I figured, "Why not venture into Hell?" Well, I barely reach the entrance of the Den when I get owned by a quillrat minion. I tried several times to even finish this first quest and just keep dying. Should I just go back to NM and level up some? I figure that its my def thats the problem (quillrat had 69% to hit me). I've been thinking that if I'm going to be MFing, then I won't really need a HF Act 2 Merc. Should I switch to a Def merc? Or should I keep my lvl 69 HF Act 2 Merc?

2. yuqing

yuqing IncGamers Member

you should be able to take act 1 rather easily at your lvl, it would help to know whats ur build and what you're using. We dont have enough info to help you right now.

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Well he did mention he was a Meteorb in the first sentence of his post, so that we know.

What sort of gear are you running with Sunjeet?

4. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Thats why I restrict my meteorb to rushing norm and nm. My meteorb feels extremely weak in hell but thats just me.

5. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

My skills:
    1 Warmth
    14 Fireball
    20 Meteor
    10 Fire Mastery
    1 Static Field
    1 Teleport
    20 Frozen Orb
    1 Cold Mastery

+5 skills added on top of all this, w/ +1 to each mastery

My gear:
    Helm: Peasant Crown
    Armor: Rare Cuirass 322 def, +life, 30% cold resist, 48% MF (from 2 socketed pTopaz)
    Staff: Chromatic Ire
    On Switch Orb: Rare +2 sorc skill, +mana/life, half freeze
    On Switch Shield: Rhyme Grim Shield
    Gloves: Rare 76 def, 14% fire resist, 17% MF
    Boots: Rare 11 def, 27% Light resist, 40% poison resist, 14% MF
    Belt: Rare 69 def, +life/mana, 24% cold resist
    Ring 1: Nagelring 18% MF
    Ring 2: Magical 27% MF
    Amulet: Rare +1 sorc skills, 28% cold resist

Merc gear:
    Weapon: Rare Hyperion Spear w/ 7% life leech
    Helm: Rare Grim Helm 186 Def
    Armor: Magical 435 Def

Essentially, my resists are 15/75/33/54 and my merc's are 75/75/75/75. I am a vita sorc and do reasonable in NM (Oblivion Knights bug me still).

6. Wizardra

Wizardra IncGamers Member

Could be you need more hp. You also need a few more points into cold mastery. Make sure you have fireball on left mouse button and frozen orb on 2nd. It helps if on switch you have a weapon that gives chilling armor or something. I don't know why you're dying, you shouldn't.

7. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Well, I'm now at level 73 and have almost 1000 hp. And even though I have 1 point in Cold Mastery, I have 6 with +skills. Also, I intended to max Fireball before I was going to put into Cold Mastery. Also, I figured on my own that to have Fireball on my left mouse button since around level 40-something, but thanks for that hint (something I definately recommend to other Meteorb sorcs).

I've been leveling on Baal runs in NM and with 2 runs, I usually level once. I figure I will do this for a while until it gets unprofitable for exp. But I still feel that something in my gear is lacking that I can't get by on Hell.

Also, should I trade in my HF merc for a Def merc? Even at lvl 72, my merc can't seem to last long when he gets surrounded and usually ends up a distraction for the masses rather than a help.

8. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

orb is a very weak skill unless u max all its synergies and hav alot of +skills...u will hav trouble vs fire immunes

9. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

From what I've heard, the synergy for Frozen Orb is Ice Bolt and it only gives 2% added damage, moving the damage range from 267-282 cold damage per bolt up to 366-387 cold damage. Although that means 100 more damage per bolt, thats at the cost of 19 skill points. Seems like points in Cold Mastery would be better deserving, since you can get a better increase with +skills on top of the points you put in there.

10. Wizardra

Well I use Sasja's meteorb guide, however, I can't find the new link for it. You know how to aim your frozen orb right? I'm sure you do, but if you don't then that could be a problem. No one puts more than 1 point into ice bolt as a synergy, cold mastery is better. I have lvl 8 cold mastery not including any +skill items. And keep your HF merc. Unless you're rich and you can get a doom runeword(Doom gives lvl 14-16 holy freeze I think) for your defiance merc. My HF merc is level 84 and he hardly dies, he only dies when he runs into the occasional might enchanted group when I wasn't paying attention.

11. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

Ok, well, I decided to level up in Act 1 Hell so I can do Hell Countess runs later. Well, if I were to decide to get a Def Merc to use a Doom runeword, then what weapon should I put it in?

12. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

try to get some gear in nm baal..u can get there occy, lidless, peasant (u have), viper, magefist gloves. and then u have +7 all skil, +8 fire. Maybe u should have put 1 point i fire mastery and put more points in cold mastery, and max out fire ball first, if u use fireball must of the times, (and iasume u do). if u are on scl (europe) i could give u a few free items.

13. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

My guide is here :)

Level 70 is too low a level to start Hell - go back to NM and level to at least level 75. Chance-to-hit is very dependent on level difference which is why the quill rats own you and your merc. Is your merc your own level? Make sure he is. HF is invaluable all the way through the game, so don't get a Defiance merc (unless of course you're going to get him Doom).

Orb only has one synergy, and it's quite weak. Orb itself maxed and with a reasonable CM level works well enough in solo games against FIs, and is even useful in groups. Of course it's nowhere near the glory of Orb in NM, but there's no reason you should have trouble with FIs, except in big groups where presumably others will kill the FIs before you have time to get too frustrated.

14. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

i personally dont think orb is any good for mf, as u need +skill and +cold% damage from items like death fathom and nightwings for the dmg to be any good

15. befkonijn

befkonijn IncGamers Member

OT: tough guys those quil rats...

16. San

San IncGamers Member

How can you use a staff with a sorc :eek: that's so D2 classic :D

The stuff you have on switch are better for your use IMO.

And yeah, you should trade something like the Oculus, (and maybe a Harlequin's crest) and slap on a good all res. shield, or just use the rhyme .. That should help with taking damage.

Frozen orbs good damage to non-CI:s is based on cold mastery taking away all their resistances, so you'd probably want that above 10 at least, with +skills, if you want to do damage with orb in hell. I mean, about 275 per bolt cold damage really ain't that much, but if you double it?

17. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I disagree. You don't really need that much +skill, if you can just get cold mastery to -100% you can get by with like 300 damge FOrb. Easily.

I'd say that you are lacking FCR to help out the fireball spamage.

18. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

Your post reminded me of my first 1.10 ladder sorc (East HCL). That sorc had similar skills and similar "junk" gear (may I say so?). The only major difference I can see is she was in HC and had 75% blocking with her shield full-time.

But this sorc never took off in Hell even at lvl 77, though she did reasonably well in NM/Norm. The problem was with her gear: 1.10 was just started, very few had decent gear in short time, and I was simply unlucky finding mid to high-level sorc items at that time.

For your sorc, just think about how she can teleport to HELL cat lvl 4 or durance lvl 3 in her current gear at a reasonably fast pace.

I'd suggest you replace her helm/wpn/etc with shako/occulus/something close (like cheap "Spirit" if you are on ladder). Well, do so only if you want to move to Hell. Otherwise, you could just do MF in NM. Both Shako and occulus can drop in NM. As well as other good stuff.

With the right gear, and a tanking merc at her level (hired from act2/5), such a sorc should have no problem everywhere in Hell, especially in SC.

Personally, a rule of thumb to check if a sorc is strong enough to start on Hell is not really her level, but her ability to teleport without dying: if she can teleport non-stop at a steady pace through/around large groups of random monsters and does not have life/mana problems at all for at least 20 or 30 seconds, she's surely strong enough.

BTW, if you use Raven Frost when handling NM Baal, he can barely hurt you other than draining your mana. The poor sorc I mentioned above could tele on top of him and ignore all of his attacks - this is the fastest way to kill him. He would rarely tele around or call for his clone if you do so.

19. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

You seem to be experiencing the same problem I had with my Meteorb sorc when she first ventured into hell.

A few things that I would like to say...

1. Use Orb for ALL non cold immunes. Monsters in hell are fast. slowing them down really helps. I do not know why people keep saying that the damage from Orb is low. Damage from Orb is PER SHARD. You get 42 shards (I think 42, I always forget this number, damn it.) Of course you won't be able to get all 42 shards to hit something, but if you aim well, you can get at least half of the 'nova' at the end to dissappear within a monster i.e. half of the shards from the nova actually hit the monster. If your orb does 400 damage, that's at least 4000 cold damage. Learn to aim well with Orb by memorizing the optimal distance to cast it from a monster (or a group of monsters), and it will be your best friend.

2. Use teleport. Teleport to put yourself in a better position to attack and to save your merc. Use it alot. Teleport isn't a skill that is only used for rushing people and getting to the Throne of Destruction. Should be used as a tactical skill as well.

3. Spam fireball to all non cold immunes while your merc tanks them. Your merc does not seem to have any resistance to physical damage so he will have a hard time surviving for long in hell. Give him potions, teleport if life gets too low, teleport again and again if monsters keep following after you until your merc heals. Try to get Shaftstop and Vampire gaze for your merc. It will help greatly.

4. Don't change your merc type unless you can get a doom. A caster sorc shouldn't be in a position to get hit - if it is getting hit frequently, something is being done wrong. You should always be on the move with your sorc - cast, move, cast, move, cast, move etc. try to dodge missile attacks and you should never get close to melee monsters. Holy freeze is a life saver in hell. Defense of your sorc should not come into play at all.

5. I would recommend doing nightmare baal runs to get better gear before attempting hell again. Level 20 Orb & Level 1 CM with +5 to all skills should be more than enough to run nightmare baal over and over again.

I think I repeated some of the things from other people's replies. Ah well. Just wanting to help because I've been there.

Cheers,
    *wookie919

20. Wizardra

Hey thanks Sasja, I had trouble finding that. Sasja has a point, level at nm baal till about lvl 75. Make sure your merc is around that level as well before bringing him into hell. My merc dies occasionally and he's level 85, but that could just be because he has really crap gear. Just do some nm boss runs for awhile. I've gotten better stuff there than from hell pit runs so far.