Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mf : Meph vs Nihlathak

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by SalivaMonster, Jun 10, 2005.

1. SalivaMonster

SalivaMonster IncGamers Member

Mf : Meph vs Nihlathak

Nihlathak:
    mlvl:92
    Hitpoint:13345
    Hell Lightning Res:33

Meph:
    mlvl:87
    Hitpoint:94320
    Hell Lightning Res:75

It seems that its much easier to find and kill Nihlathak than Meph with my lightning sorc, and Nihlathak has potential to drop the most elite items that Meph can't. What about their actual drop rate?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I wouldn't know; Nhilathak and his friends like to drop a lot of players, so I'm not going there. It's not just the corpse explosion, which is rumored to have an incredible range --- the bonespear-shooting things down there are rumored to be bugged.

He should be able to drop items, too (in addition to the potions that dropped out of the player).

I prefer to just imprison him --- I told Anya to watch the Portal and alert me the second something happens, and I deactivated the waypoint so there is no other way out. Being the one who essentially single-handedly saved Harrogath, rescued Anya, pawned the Ancients and bested Baal, the people of Harrogath are happy to help with the portal thing while I'm researching for a way to close it.

I think Andariel, Mephisto, Diablo and Baal are much more interesting.

3. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Well I do Nihlatak runs from time to time when I'm bored and he does drop some good stuff. However that must be one of the only enemies in game that can easily reduce my Paladin's near 4k hp to almost nothing in less than one sec. The problem is not just his super strong CE attack, but his room is also full of ranged attackers that deal some increadible amounts of damage.

Basically you have to teleport right on top of him and hammer like crazy, and hope he dies before you do. Not really sure any char other than well armed hammerdin can handle that guy...

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

imho, he's terrible to run for items, as he doesn't even count as a boss or champion. he can drop between 1-2 items, and often one or both are bolts, arrows, potions or scrolls.

are you sure about mlvl 92? i just asked and rtb said (so it's as solid a source as you can get) that he's 95.

5. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Nihlathak is a horror with his CE.

The bugged vipers are the simple biggest cause of death in our HC runs.

Combined, that's NOT a good thing.

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Nihly is mlvl 95. This sounds silly, but his base type is a "Nihlathak" monster which is mlvl 92, but he is a Superunique one, and SUs get a +3 bonus.

He has his own special drop TC.
    He gets 5 drop chances (compared to Meph's 7).
    He gets 900 bonus on unique, set and rare drops, compared to Meph's 983. That sounds less big a difference than it actually is - the effective value of a bonus is how small the difference is between it and 1024, so Meph's bonus is three times as good as Nihly's.
    They both always drop at least magical.
    Nihlathak has a nodrop of 19 out of 60 compared to Meph's 15/80. Meph will always drop a full drop (of 6) with only 3 partied players in the game but Nihlathak needs 4 partied players in the game for an always full drop (of 5).
    Meph is much more likely to drop equipment items - 80% compared to N's 46%.
    However, Nihly is more likely to drop runes/charms etc, 7% compared to 4.5%.
    Nihly's real big advantage though of course is that he drops TC87s (as often as Baal) while Meph barely drops TC78s.

Other than drops has been covered pretty well. Nihly can be leeched from while Meph cannot, which can be quite important for some classes.

7. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

@Thrugg Thanks for detailed info, but I have one quick question.

Lets say Nihlathak drops a Grand Charm. Is it true that his charms can also get 41-45 life mod just like Baal GCs? I caught that piece of info somewhere - is it true?

I guess I'll do some more runs then :p.

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

ilvl 91 is enough for +41-45 life, so Nihly at 95 is certainly high enough.
    He can also drop SCs capable of getting all possible affixes like Baal (ie the highest elemental prefixes).

Charms are the main reason I would ever run Nihlathak. Anything else you might find would be a bonus.

9. Black_Rose

Black_Rose IncGamers Member

I can't quite agree that only a hammerdin can handle Nihla. I've done some rushes for a few people and for those of them that wanted me to help with this quest, it wasn't at all that difficult with my blizz tal sorceress. I teleport on him and cast blizzard over myself. He dies quickly and I block most of the hits that come to me, my mercenary takes on other monsters there.

I believe that charms dropped by him are of the same value as baal charms. I haven't played the game for quite some time and my memory isn't so good anymore, thus I can't be 100% sure of it.

10. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Don't forget that if you kill Nihlly, it makes Pindle runs harder. With Anya's portal open, Pindle takes about 4 seconds, including tele time, with above mentioned Hammerdin.

11. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

I dont think that is true. The portal will stay open as long as you dont get the wp.

12. shiftyz

shiftyz IncGamers Member

won't a nature's peace be handy in situations like these? works for me anyway... :p

13. Lonewolf256

Lonewolf256 IncGamers Member

Natures peace

When I ran him this ring stopped the CE, much easier to kill then.
    Although I ran him only on NM, all my Conquerors currently demised.
    As a side thought if you don't get Halls of Pain WP, then Pindleskin runs still available in the future games.

looking forward to killing him again as soon as my next crop of HC characters reach Hell level.

Lonewolf256