MF League, 2011/2012 Season - Sign-Up and Discussion! ifra

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
MF League, 2011/2012 Season - Sign-Up and Discussion!

You can now send results to: beeselectric[at]gmail[dot]com

Standings:
Standing after round 5, AT:
after round 5, AT:

LD50 11p
kestegs 9p
ZGPMF 9p
frozzzen 8p
WoRG 5p
OMGWTFIAMNUB 5p
fyourics 4p
TheNix 4p
Victus 3p
Cyrax 3p
scrcrw 3p
zemaj 3p
iame 3p
Kaerion 2p
TheMuttonExplosion 2p
ParadigmShift 1p

Hey guys,

It's been almost two years since the first MF League began, now it's time for the new edition! Here's the discussion thread for the previous edition, if someone wants to read up on it.

Format

This MF League will be shorter than the previous. It will feature 6 rounds, with most of the "weird" or "fun" or "nonsense" (depending on how you look at it :)) targets left out. This time around, the rounds will be of the most popular running targets in the SPF: Pindle, AT, Pit, A85 Areas, Travincal (rune hunt) and Cows (rune hunt).

Each round will run for 10 days, from 00:01 your local time on Friday, to 11.59 pm your local time on the following Sunday. During these 10 days, you can play a total of 20 hours. Basically, exactly like most rounds of the previous MF League :)

Here are the dates for each round:

Round 1: Friday September 30 - Sunday October 9 - Pindleskin
Round 2: Friday November 4 - Sunday November 20 - Cows
Round 3: Friday December 9 - Sunday December 25 - Pit
Round 4: Friday January 13 - Sunday January 29 - Council
Round 5: Friday February 24 - Sunday March 11 - AT
Round 6: Friday March 30 - Sunday April 15 - Baal + Minions

Baal score sheet

The observant will notice there's a full 3½ weeks between the end of one round and the beginning of the next, except for the very last round when there's only a 2½ week gap. With this schedule, we finish in nearly exactly 6 months, which I think is a perfect time for a tournament like this. This isn't completely set in stone, as there may or may not be adjustments later on to make room for a proper MFO which is likely happening at some point. We'll worry about that later.

Scoring

For each round, your top 5 qualifiers (Runes for Cows/Travincal, Sets/Uniques for the other rounds) are added together to form your final score for the round. The people with the highest score each round will be awarded points for the overall standings, as follows:

1st place: 5p
2nd place: 4p
3rd place: 3p
4th place: 2p
5th place: 1p

Again, this is like the previous MF League.

Prizes

Much like the previous MF League, you can choose to pay a participation fee of 50 pgems, which will be used as prizes:

1st place overall: 30%
2nd place overall: 10%
1st place in each individual round: 10%

You can of course choose to participate without paying the fee, but you will also not be eligible for the prizes. In that case, all you'll be playing for is for fun, competition and bragging rights :) Keep in mind that to send and/or receive pgems, you need to have a trade profile in the SPTF. If you don't, feel more than free to participate in the non-prize category!

If you wish to be part of the prize-category, you can send your 50 pgems to me at fabbe _ sjoblom @ hotmail . com. I expect [1.13c SC FAM] gems, make sure to point out if yours are tagged differently.

Closing Thoughts

After each round is done, please email me at fabbe _ sjoblom @ hotmail . com with a list of your top5 qualifiers. Please make sure to include your forum nick!

The first round, beginning this Friday September 30, will be Pindleskin. I chose this for the first round because I felt most people would have, or could put together on a few days' notice, a capable Pindlerunner, but would perhaps need more time to prepare a Travbarb or a WSK runner, or whatever. Let me know if you have any strong preference for the order of the coming rounds, they'll be a lot easier to influence :)

The list of qualifiers and their scores for Pindleskin can be found here. Note that a few items, most notably Stormlash, are not worth as much as they have been in the past, as a result of a lengthy discusison on MFO scoring earlier this year.

Please let me know your thoughts on the tournament as a whole, feedback, constructive criticism, trashtalk, advice, questions about the tournament or builds for different targets, and basically anything else. This thread will be used for the entire tournament, so all of your trashtalk and questions about anything can go in here :) Finally, if you wish to sign up for the tournament, copy/paste yourself into the appropriate box found in the next post!

Fabian

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: MF League, 2011/2012 Season - Sign-Up and Discussion!

Code:
[highlight]Eligible for prizes, I've sent my 50 pgems![/highlight]

Fabian

Code:
[highlight]Not eligible for prizes, playing for bragging rights![/highlight]

EatSleepDiablo

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:

Fabian
EatSleepDiablo

Code:
Will send pgems before Friday.

Any interest in adding LK to allow for cow/trav comparison?

Hammy

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:

Fabian
EatSleepDiablo

Code:

Hammy

Sounds like fun, thanks for getting it set up!

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member

Great, i was hoping there'd be another one of these. With my 99 project finished i should be able to compete more than the 1 round of last time.

I see that all the rounds are an even 20 hours of running. Is that deliberate or just because we did it that way last time? I'm asking because of the whole discussion going on at the end of the previous league where there was talk of mixing up the shorter and longer events. It seemed to be a nice idea when properly executed, so i was just wondering what happened to that.

As far as preferences go, if i could choose the order of the currently named targets i'd be: Pindle, AT, Cows, A85, Pits, Travi. Having said that, i wouldn't call it a strong preference, just the order i think would suit me best. Also why no Baal?

Damn, i wish i'd have some more time to put together all the chars. But i guess i'd say the same if i did have more time.

Code:

Fabian
EatSleepDiablo

Code:

Hammy
Cyrax

Victus

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:

Fabian
EatSleepDiablo
zemaj

Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
Twenty hours for 10 days seems too little to me. It's my average time per day(2 hours) when I play for fun. But in competition it should be 6 or 8 hours or no limit at all. I played 8 hours a day average in the last MFO with pity drops. What kept me running is the extra dose of motivation when you compete with somebody else.

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member

ESD, LK was considered, and discarded on account of it being the lamest and boringest "competition" target imaginable. If six hundred people told me I was dead wrong on that, I guess I would reconsider it, but I doubt that will happen :)

Cyrax, the 20 hours on all rounds thing is mostly because I wanted to keep it simple. To me, it was/is a good enough compromise between different peoples' wants and needs that I figured it would make everyone at least reasonably happy without discouraging anyone from partaking because the format is terrible (like that "fixed number of runs, no time limit" suggestion in the old thread certainly would, for instance). It's more than possible that a better/more preferable format exists, but it's unlikely to be happening this time around unless people seem really excited/united over something specific.

Baal isn't included because he's not a good MF target. I'm sure some people will disagree with me, those people I would encourage to host a Baalathon. Hopefully at the same time as an MF League round, so I can laugh and act smug when 2 people show up* ;)

On a more serious note, I'm sure Baal is great if you want a nice challenge or like to level characters or possibly something else, but for an MF target, he's as much of a novelty target as Diablo or Act III temples or Maggot Lair level 2. In my opinion.

Victus, participate with two characters! If you play enough where 20 hours over 10 days feels boring and uninspiring, two entries (or three, or four) will surely keep you occupied. On a personal note, I mostly agree with you that the drive to compete with others is what keeps you going and going, and it's the reason why I haven't been super fond of this format in the past, instead preferring MFO style "run until your eyes bleed" type competitions. Taking into account what others want is important to not make this is a 2-player competition though, and I think this compromise is necessary to keep enough players interested, and overall definitely for the best. Feel more than free to do two blocks of 20 hours and send two separate results though. Twice the chance of winning :)

* This is a joke people, relaaax!

Downsy

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, this seems really interesting to me but I had a couple questions.

1) I am going away for my sisters wedding from 30th Sep through til 2nd Oct and I doubt I could get 20 hours before the 9th. Is there any allowance for starting a round early by myself (it is 28th Sep local time here atm) as I have a character atm that is Pindle ready? Being married and working a heap 2 hours a day is about the max I can spend and I would be very short on hours if I only done 3rd-9th.

2) For the PGems I don't have any trade profile (have never traded) though I do play by the 1.13c SC FAM rules. Is there any restrictions on making trade profiles? Also do you need the gems before start of first round? I just spent all my ALL my pgems rolling for res all charms (got nothing at all...) but I am sure it wouldn't take long to pick up enough flawless gems to cube into pgems.

TheMuttonExplosion

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd really like to join but this is kinda short notice. Are you set on starting this weekend or is it dependent on the number of players who sign up?

And somewhat related: How about counting only the points from your 4 best rounds? That way it would still be best to compete in all 6 rounds for a bigger chance at a high score, but it would allow people to skip a round or join later and still be competitive as long as they play at least 4. This could also alleviate the problem of players dropping out midway.

WhereIsMyZod

Diabloii.Net Member

Let's make it two weeks run time and 3 weeks break :p work, school, projects probably will try to keep me away from diablo and they will succeed some how so longer runing period would be great :D

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

I think this time around I'll have a go at this league... I'll put myself to a table later, depending on how much pgems I manage to get until friday.

@MuttonExplosion: I think the point, in part at least, of this kind of league thing is that to win, you have to do well consistently and not just half the time, but it's of course up to Fabian to decide.

EmperorMoo

Diabloii.Net Member

Fear me, all competitors for last place in the bragging rights category! I come to take your ironic glory! I *will* see more Isenhart's Armours droop that you!

*waves wooden sword and dons rusty saucepan helmet*

Also, yay for MF tournaments! I got a Lo from the AT at the end of last week, I guess that's probably this year's good luck used up. Just got to get my Blizz sorc to Mr Pindleskin now.

Code:

Fabian
EatSleepDiablo
zemaj
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member

Downsy, regarding the trade profile, you can make one. There's no restriction on that, everyone is free to trade on here as long as they abide by forum rules. Make sure to read the trade forum FAQ(s) though, or Thyiad will be mad ;) Feel free to send the pgems whenever it's convenient, hopefully sooner rather than later (this goes for you too LD50), but no super rush.

To those who had comments/questions about starting time, short notice, 2 weeks running vs 3 weeks break etc.. well it's tough to make everyone happy. I don't particularly mind any of those suggestions, the question is what keeps the most people happy. In my experience, having lots of MF competitions in short succession tends to make people less interested in them, which is why I wanted a reasonable break between all the rounds, and also why I wanted to get started sooner rather than later. If I change the rules around, perhaps other people will be unhappy with that.

How about we start this Friday September 30 as planned, but the first round runs for two weeks (17 days) instead of one (10 days)? That way, people who feel it's short notice can take an extra week to prepare/get a runner together, and people who feel they have too little time should be able to get the 20 hours in more easily. Even WhereIsMyZod gets his 2 weeks running/3 weeks break ;) Then I guess participator's feedback will dictate how we do it for coming rounds? Don't want to make people unhappy enough with the rules that they don't want to play. Does this sound like a reasonable enough compromise?

Code:
[highlight]Eligible for prizes[/highlight]
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo

coju

Diabloii.Net Member

I will join. Bragging rights for now. If I can start a SC sorc to run in time and gain 50 pgems, may I switch to the prizable table?

Also, if anybody would be so kind as to donate some cheap MF gear/mid-level start-up gear for a light sorc (I reckon I'll just use a light sorc. I enjoy them. Or should I go blizz? idk...) I will happily give their choice of 3-10 items minus those used for the prizes in the tourny!

Code:
[HIGHLIGHT]Eligible for prizes[/HIGHLIGHT]
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
Code:
[HIGHLIGHT]Not eligible for prizes, playing for bragging rights![/HIGHLIGHT]

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo

WhereIsMyZod

Diabloii.Net Member

well, i will still have time problems for other rounds but diablo is always diablo :) there is always time for it. i'll send the PGs asap :)

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
wimZod                  (N)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo

Ohomemgrande

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll run along in the non-prize category. Also, I'd be all up for the 2 week time period for running in all categories but it's not a sticking point that would make me not run. Still, I'll probably be good for 8-10 hours in each area.

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo
Ohomemgrande

Entwilighter

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll do my best to find some time for this. Should be able to get some rounds completed. :)

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
entwilighter            (N)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo
Ohomemgrande

frozzzen

Diabloii.Net Member

I won't give you my gems, but I will give you opportunity to bite some dust :p /trashtalk

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo
Ohomemgrande
frozzzen

bassano

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
bassano                 (N)
Code:

Hammy
Cyrax
Victus
EmperorMoo
Ohomemgrande
frozzzen

I do not think that I will play a lot (not even if I will play at least once) but PGems are useless in my stashes so I hope that someone will use them more then me :)
good luck to all

TheMuttonExplosion

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
		I've sent gems (Y/N)

Fabian			(Y)
EatSleepDiablo		(Y)
zemaj			(Y)
bassano                 (N) 
TheMuttonExplosion      (Y)
Code: