MF-ing For The Realistic Ones.

JohnofTesh

Diabloii.Net Member
a Frozen Orb /Meteor sorc is a good start from scratch mf'er.

Early on, save flawless gems and make perfect gems. People will trade some of the nice magic find items for them (not the perfect versions, but good enough to carry you until they find you better...)

These were the first things I acquired:
Tarnhelm and socket w/ perfect topaz
Gold Wrap
Chance Guards
These 3 also give you nice gold - gamble for things you can use/trade

Gamble or find some Rare Boots w/20-30% mf and fast r/w

Later, trade for an Ali-Baba sword
Make a rhyme shield

The tancred boot/ammy combo is good, but not so easy to come by from scratch.

I took my sorc from the mid 50's to early 70's in the first few parts of Hell Act I. Nice drops there, not to hard for me to do and stay alive.

Travincal in Act III on Hell is a nice run, and much easier to get to than Meph.

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
i can only say it hurts as much as my +1-40 lightning damage blade of ali baba..hahaha..those were the days :innocent:

admiral_ju00

Diabloii.Net Member
moi said:
There is no single "perfect" amount of MF, nor has there been since classic....
:rant:

my summoner/bs necro was finding great items at about 400%fm but now with about 1000% most drops and or runs are pathetic. even the Hell Pit, Hell Andariel and Hell Baal drops are worthless. i'm seeing huge numbers of Blues and Golds, but hardly any Unique or Set items.

by the way, what is up with the popular idea that a Sorc is the best char for MF?

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
i'm quite sure i read something bout the drop rates being lower..some formula which is SOMETHING like "(MFX250)/(MF+250) needs to be lower than 250" or something before the diminishing returns to kick in...thatwas in one of the older threads..maybe u can go check out it out there?

Faye

Diabloii.Net Member
admiral_ju00 said:
:rant:

my summoner/bs necro was finding great items at about 400%fm but now with about 1000% most drops and or runs are pathetic. even the Hell Pit, Hell Andariel and Hell Baal drops are worthless. i'm seeing huge numbers of Blues and Golds, but hardly any Unique or Set items.

by the way, what is up with the popular idea that a Sorc is the best char for MF?
MF has diminishing returns for rares, sets and uniques. So, the more MF you have the higher chance an item will drop magical rather than rare, set or unique. Too much MF may not be a good thing after all.

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
the thing bout a sorc being the best char for MFing i think :scratch: is cos..

1. mobility -nothing really beats teleporting ard in durance or catacombs..

2. killing power - even a sorc with no uber items can easily reach damages up to the mid thousands with area spells (i.e. Blizz or meteor) which will allow very fast dispatching of enemies.. :drink:

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
decoy_sJ said:
the thing bout a sorc being the best char for MFing i think :scratch: is cos..

1. mobility -nothing really beats teleporting ard in durance or catacombs..

2. killing power - even a sorc with no uber items can easily reach damages up to the mid thousands with area spells (i.e. Blizz or meteor) which will allow very fast dispatching of enemies.. :drink:
Yes and...
3. The best high lvl mf set (Tal) is just for sorc.
4. Shako and Skully benefit casters mostly. Using MF gear does not make a sorc that weaker. For instance: a zon abandoning her 20IAS, CB, +skills braces would lose much more than a sorc abandoning Magefist or Frostburn. The ONLY rings which are better for a sorc than Nagels are SoJs but if you have SoJs allready you don´t need mf any more :lol: Oculus is a m-finder AND a weapon. Alibabas or Gul dagger are ONLY m-finders. etc, etc..
Generally: a sorc can make the best use of typical mf stuff.

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
haha sangfagel gave a v good analysis on y a sorc would make (probably not the bestcos of the dual Isted Alibaba horking baba with over 1k MF% :lol: ) a VERY proficient MFer..

but even if u get Sojs..i think there are still alot of MFing to be done..IMHO the high end runewords are even harder to get than SoJs :innocent:

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, give me break! NEVER underestimate horking baba with over 1k MF%. One of them ALMOST killed my sorc when she was lvl 1. :worship: He could get relally good drops... potions, 18 GP and my ear!!! Oh yes, horking babas still CAN find items... Think about all this chests... Is it possible to hork a chest :scratch:

You don´t need any mf for rune finding and.... If you allready bought your sojs on ebay - why not all items you need? :lol:

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
sojs on ebay? dude..if u have to know..i got both my SoJs from hell mephisto..runes i have not found a single one higher than Mal..sheesh.. :scratch: funny how a nice discussion can degenerate into something like this..

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
decoy_sJ said:
sojs on ebay? dude..if u have to know..i got both my SoJs from hell mephisto..runes i have not found a single one higher than Mal..sheesh.. :scratch: funny how a nice discussion can degenerate into something like this..
Oh... Don´t take it that serious! I didn´t mean just YOU. If you found any soj - my congrats. See - I have played D a long long time - from first days of D2 and I found really many top items, all amus, all rings with ONE exception: soj. Recently I read a post of a very noobish sounding dude who claimed that he found 7 of them and that it is just easy. I´m getting a bit cinical - thats all. Do not take an offence - it was not meant. If you felt bad about my post - I apolegize... Friends again?

decoy_sJ

Diabloii.Net Member
sigh..its really saddening when u try ur darn best to MF and find something nice others say u got it off ebay. :hanky:

but i guess u do have a right to be cynical..ppl duping runes..'inheriting' tonnes of stuff and then putting all others down as noobs..sad world we live in dude..

but then..friends again! :buddies:

p.s. good luck on finding ur SoJ..ppl like us who MF legitly day in day out..we will get wat we want sooner or later.. :buddies:

SabreCat

Diabloii.Net Member
Faye said:
MF has diminishing returns for rares, sets and uniques. So, the more MF you have the higher chance an item will drop magical rather than rare, set or unique. Too much MF may not be a good thing after all.
That's not what "diminishing returns" means. It just means that each additional MF% beyond a certain point gets you less of an increase on rare/set/unique items than it does initially. It's always better--it's just not as much better per-point as an increase would be from a lower percentage. Yes, you have a greater chance of finding blues, but the chance that decreases as you add MF is the chance of finding nonmagical items, not your chance of finding rares/sets/uniques.

The only problem with adding more MF is that your kill speed or feasible /players setting might go down. As far as the statistics the game actually computes, though, more is always better.