Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF in 1.07: TCs 33-66

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ziambe, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ziambe

ziambe Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Hello fellow time travelers!

After extensive searching of Repusz's guide to 1.07, Yiuman's addendum to the guide, Helvete's mini-guide to Blood-raven runs, various posts discussing MF in this patch as well as the News, Info and Gossip thread, I have been unable to address the following innocent little question:

What is the best source of TCs 33-66?

Nightmare/Hell council, Nightmare/Hell LK (racks), just killing unique and champion packs through these difficulties, or something else?

I would like to know whether it is really worth keeping LK maps where I get a nice exceptional base or focusing only on bases TC 66 and above due to the amount of time it actually takes to get uniques... because I have a looong wish list! :D

2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I forget the TCs but if this means things like Valk Wing, Shaftstop, Skullder's, etc.
    then random bosspacks in hell all drop them probably around the same rates.

Council is by far superior for the number of items they drop (especially with find item) but second best is just the easiest area with bosspacks if I had to guess.

So if you're going for basically all of them, I'd hit up council for 5-20k runs with a WW barb and then fill in the blanks by racking/baal/etc. as needed. There will be a few items you can only get from bosspacks/council iirc so if you truly want all of them (or some of those items) council is probably your best bet.

*shrug*

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Fruit likes this.
  3. ziambe

Indeed I mean Valk wing, Skullder's, Vamp Gaze and the like.

I haven't been very successful in ice caves since the MF breakpoint is so high and I am using a FO/static sorc. A lot of cold immunes and even if CM breaks immunities the monsters are tough!

@pharphis, you mentioned Baal, but I thought all of the act bosses are limited to TC 33 in all difficulties. The only difference is that the MF breakpoint in Hell is maybe lower than nightmare? I did run Hell Meph for a while and certainly appreciate the forced uniques which the breakpoint gives but nothing was higher than TC 33.

How about jewelry? I would like a couple highlord's and cat's eyes...maybe a Mara's or two. I spent a couple of (painful) hours with Hell Andy and can say that she definitely doesn't have her preference for dropping jewelry as she does in later patches. Is council also the choice for jewelry?

4. pharphis

I heard from others that baal can drop stuff for whatever reason. I don't know *shrug* he's too scary in HC. There were some posts in the 1.07 thread on this in the last year.

Ammies and stuff from either andy or meph is a good idea but you're right it is annoying. Such low drop rates even with the MF breakpoint (because of /p1). I don't thnk andy does all of them so you might as well just do meph only if you want the higher level ammies

5. ziambe

Interesting idea @zemaj...does the quest drop favor jewelry in 1.07?

6. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

wait, i thought quest drops weren't a thing in 1.07-1.09? :eek:
    can anyone confirm/deny?

@ziambe specifically for rings and amulets from bosses i generated a fabulous table a while ago.
    i'll spoiler it up because it's ugly:
    Code:
     rar rin amu 187.167 [78] 18 37 andariel     92.264
     uni rin amu 987.167 [78] 18 37 andariel    547.819
     uni rin amu 985.5   [**] 18 37 duriel      547.25
     uni rin amu 985.167 [90] 21 43 diablo      546.681
     uni rin amu 985.333 [95] 23 46 baal        546.681
     uni rin amu 985.167 [90] 33 65 mephisto    546.681

hopefully it's not too confusing. the list is basically:
    (quality) (ring) (amulet) (some number used in the MF calculation) ([monster level]) (1 in xx chance to drop a ring) (1 in xx chance to drop an amulet) (boss name) (MF required to guarantee that rings and amulets are of the quality mentioned)

so for example the first line means: andariel drops 1 ring every 18 runs, and 1 amulet every 37 runs, and with 93 MF her rings and amulets will always be at least Rare.
    and for example the last line means: mephisto drops 1 ring every 33 runs, and 1 amulet every 65 runs, and with 547 MF his rings and amulets will always be Unique.

Mara's is the only amulet that Andariel can't drop (because it's qlvl80) so you'd have to turn to any of the other bosses to find it.

btw, it's not that all bosses are limited to one specific TC, it's that bosses drop from their Normal TC on all difficulties.
    so the max TC for each boss is: TC15 for Andariel, TC24 for Duriel, TC33 for Mephisto, TC36 for Diablo, and TC39 for Baal.
    this same bug applies to a few super uniques as well: Griswold, The Summoner, Radament, Unique Council Members, Hephasto, and Nihlathak.

note that the max TC on nightmare is TC54, so if you want to do efficient "general farming", you probably want to stick to Hell so that you can find up to TC66, as well as higher runes, more gold, etc. council is probably the best target as pharphis said, because they get a huge "drop bonus" (that lowers the NoDrop chance).

as for the MF breakpoints: Yes on Nightmare and Normal they are drastically higher. in the table I posted you can see you need 548 MF to guarantee unique rings from Andariel, but on Nightmare it's 1240 MF, while on Normal it's a juicy 4960 MF.
    and besides that, on NM and Normal the bosses are too low lvl to drop many of the uniques you (probably) want to find, including rings and amulets.
    funnily enough, mephisto on normal can drop tal rasha's amulet, but to force amulets to be Set quality from him you'd need 493 MF.

uhh.. well hopefully at least some of this was helpful. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Albatross and Zyr like this.
  7. pharphis

Alternatively if you're looking for unrackable objects that can't be easily dropped by monsters, a good 100-hour investment (along side or instead of council) MIGHT be A5 special chests (the ones that drop uniques and sets, instead of only blues or rares)

This gives a chance for runes, charms, etc. all at a very high ilvl if you choose the right area(s) and can eventually lead to some of the more rare things that can't be racked.

A good map might produce ~4 chests in 30 seconds or so. It's been awhile but you could in theory get a good map for frigid highlands, nihl temple (this one is easier), glacial trail and/or icy cellar/drifter cavern or whatever it's called to finish.

8. pharphis

You are correct about jewelry and I don't know about the other thing. I've definitely got HLW and some other high level ammies from meph/andy

9. Fruit

I'll just quote RobbyD:

So it looks like the quest drop stuff was added in 1.10.
    Well.. 1.00-1.06 actually had quest drops as well, so I suppose when they refactored all the item drop stuff for 1.07, they either broke quest drops, or they just forgot about them. Or maybe just didn't bother, who knows. :p

As for rings/amulets, you're right. There are Jewelry A, Jewelry B and Jewelry C. (I have no clue why, because they are all exactly the same in 1.07). The Normal TC of each of the bosses includes one of these jewelry TCs.
    These jewelry TCs include Rings, Amulets, Jewels, and all three Charm types.

And yes, mlvl ultimately decides what affixes can spawn, and which sets/uniques can drop. Like I mentioned in my prior post, Andariel is too low for Mara's Kaleidoscope, but she can drop all other set and unique jewelry. All other bosses are high enough to drop Mara's.

While on the subject, I'll dump the Qlvl of (most of) the unique and set jewelry so that you can see that Andariel is good for all jewelry except Mara's.
    The list is missing some of the low-level stuff that I personally didn't care about, like Iratha's, Angelic and Cathan's:
    Code:
     amu [58] the cat's eye
     amu [73] the rising sun
     amu [58] crescent moon
     amu [80] mara's kaleidoscope
     amu [60] atma's scarab
     amu [73] highlord's wrath
     amu [55] saracen's chance
     amu [34] the mahim-oak curio
     amu [20] the eye of etlich
     amu [10] nokozan relic

rin [66] bul katho's wedding band
     rin [53] dwarf star
     rin [53] raven frost
     rin [39] the stone of jordan
     rin [20] manald heal
     rin [10] nagelring

amu [26] tal rasha's adjudication
     amu [39] telling of beads

/wall

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    zemaj and pharphis like this.
  10. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

1.09 is actually the only patch without a quest drop (well it's broken anyway). In 1.07/1.08, bosses have a chance of dropping 7 items the first time you kill them. After that they can only drop up to 6. 1.09 broke this by fixing that "chest hack" where 100+ items could be forced out of a single chest. They hard-capped the maximum number of items to 6, even though the .txt files list bosses being able to drop 7. :)

zemaj, pharphis and Fruit like this.
  11. Fruit

well i stand corrected. :D can't remember reading anything about this in the 1.07 thread, or maybe my memory is just failing.
    sounds like 1.07/1.08 use a quest drop mechanic more similar to 1.00-1.06, and i guess 1.10 overhauled the mechanic entirely, opening up the quest drop exploit.
    also never heard of forcing 100+ items out of a chest. i've been missing out on all the cool stuff, damnit. :(

GalaXyHaXz and zemaj like this.
  12. ziambe

Thanks for this plethora of useful info! @Fruit that table is beautiful, do you have similar data for sets and for unique/superunique/champions?

@zemaj and @GalaXyHaXz thanks for clarifying the quest drop idea. I might wind up mping anyway since 1.07 crafting just blessed me with a 32% ll 190ed mat jav which i am dying to try out in moo moo farm. I suppose i could easily rush 1 additional character to get andy quest drops...

By the way can anyone point me to a rushing guide? In terms of how many characters need to do what and where to get quests completed and which progression quests can be skipped all together? The information i am finding on this seems a bit scattered....then again adding it to a thread titled mf in 1.07 tcs 33-66 isnt exactly gonna help organize it either :p

@pharphis/all so i guess the golden question which the council debate boils down to is whether it is faster to skip non essential racks (tcs which the council can drop) and rely on them to eventually drop them with a moderate investmrnt of runs - something like 1000 is prolly the max i would commit, OR ehatever it takes to get to lvl 93 - or are the mf breakpoints too high and important to have a chance at council dropping them without having to equip them for the sake of hitting the breakpoint. For example skullders and war travs add so much mf that maybe its too hard to hit the breakpoint without them; at least without gimping your char so hard that council is unkillable...

Fruit likes this.
  13. pharphis

I'm not even sure how much MF helps for uniques. It obviously does for sets and rares and they are run for those, sometimes (especially rare jewels) but more than 100-300 MF might not be worth the effort when you can improve kill speed instead.

100 runs at council might net you a few of the useful items in that range (1-5x valk wing, skullder's, etc.) but I only really pay attention to the useful ones so my estimate is very very rough. If you want to get the rarer unrackable things prepare for 10-20k runs or some luck.

Find Item on fast-killing barb will help you way more than stuffing 200% more MF on a sorc, though.

Fruit likes this.
  14. Fruit

Firstly, know that +%Enhanced Damage on throwing weapons is not applied when they are thrown. So assuming you are using Lightning Fury, the +%ED is entirely useless unfortunately. Strength however does increase throwing damage.

I'm not aware of a rushing guide specifically for 1.07, but I think that compared to 1.10+ the only differences are: You can skip the Council quest entirely and go straight for Mephisto (without smashing the orb and all that), and you can skip the Ancients quest and go straight for Baal. So for the Council quest, this means there is no need to gather the parts for Khalim's Will, nor is there a need to kill the Council, which saves a ton of time in rushes (and also is safer for Hardcore). And since the XP from the Ancients quest reward is unaffected by the experience penalties, you're best off skipping it initially. The later, the better.

Edit
    : And as pharphis pointed out below, The Summoner can be skipped as well, though you will probably want to find out the correct Tomb:
    The correct tomb is the symbol that is missing at the spawn location of the Summoner (the blue, floating glyphs I mean).
    So if you play Hardcore, you can safely leave the rushee in town. The rusher can just get to the Summoner, and note the missing symbol. Whether you kill the Summoner or not ultimately has no impact on progression, so killing him without the rushee present will not mess up the rush.

As for tables, well, considering all the factors, a complete table would have hundreds of thousands of entries.
    As far as I know, the ATMA 1.07 drop calculator is accurate for everything except (Act Bosses + the Super Uniques I mentioned) on Nightmare and Hell.
    And just FYI, the Council is so good to run because besides the super low NoDrop chance, the Minions are treated as if they are Unique monsters (with regards to Magic Find). They're a special bunch. :cool: And they can drop all the way up to Cham rune.

Anyway, to give you an idea, here's a reference table I still had:
    The table was generated with base values, meaning qlvl and ilvl were excluded. There is basically a ratio: If qlvl > ilvl, then you will need more MF than the base value generate, and if ilvl > qlvl, then you need less MF than the base value generate.

Anyway, for the table below, class = Normal Class items, ubclass = Exceptional and Elite Class items, specials = Champions and (Super) Uniques. I think the rest should be clear. Values are rounded up, so 555.222 = 556.

All this means though is that for example with 556 MF you would guarantee uniques from bosses if qlvl = ilvl, which is rarely the case of course. So take the table with a grain of salt, it's just a reference, to give an impression. :)
    Calculated values are typically not too far off from the values from this table though, especially not for unique items.
    Code:
     uni            bosses      hell         555.222
     uni class      bosses      hell         270.5   (do not exist)
     uni ubclass    bosses      hell         213.556 (can not drop from bosses)
     uni            specials    hell        3096.889
     uni class      specials    hell        1541.333 (do not exist)
     uni ubclass    specials    hell        1230.222
     rar            bosses      hell          99.667
     rar            specials    hell         608
     rar ubclass    specials    hell         296.889
     set            bosses      hell          56.958
     set class      bosses      hell          39.875 (immortal king's will)
     set ubclass    bosses      hell          37.028 (aldur's stony gaze)
     set            specials    hell         374.667
     set class      specials    hell         281.333
     set ubclass    specials    hell         265.778

uni            bosses      nightmare   1249.25
     uni class      bosses      nightmare    608.625 (do not exist)
     uni            specials    nightmare   6968
     uni class      bosses      nightmare   3468     (do not exist)
     uni ubclass    specials    nightmare   2768
     rar            bosses      nightmare    224.25
     rar            specials    nightmare   1368
     set            bosses      nightmare    128.156
     set            specials    nightmare    843
     set class      specials    nightmare    633     (immortal king's will)
     set ubclass    specials    nightmare    598     (aldur's stony gaze)

uni            bosses      normal       4997
     uni            specials    normal      27872
     rar            bosses      normal        897
     rar            specials    normal       5472
     set            bosses      normal        512.625
     set            specials    normal       3372
     set class      specials    normal       2532
     set ubclass    specials    normal       2392

Notice how 513 MF would force set items from bosses on Normal according to the table.
    However if you go more specific and include all factors, 493 MF would force Amulets and Rings from Mephisto to be of at least Set quality. More MF of course means better odds of higher quality items, so if you'd be looking to get Set Amulets from Mephisto on Normal, then 493 MF would be optimal, and 513 would just increase the odds of getting Rares and Uniques, thus hurting your chances of getting Set Amulets.

Hopefully that wasn't too vague. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. pharphis

in 1.07 you can skip summoner as well, and instead of being present to kill duriel you can just talk to tyrael after

Fruit likes this.
  16. Fruit

right, right. :D easy to forget things with 14 different patches in your head.
    note though that the tyreal thing is true for every single patch. it was standard routine for me back in the day when i still played 1.14 on bnet.

pharphis likes this.
  17. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

I never thought about it like that but actually it makes sense now. It seems like the "7th" item is actually the hardcoded item that was always unique/set/rare in 1.00-1.06. But instead they tried to soft-code it by using the .txt files. 1.10 added a proper TC for both.
    Most of the cool bnet stuff has been gone for 15+ years. I knew someone on bnet who played back in 2000-2002 and had stories of all the crazy hacks back then. He said the chest hack lasted for only a month or so after the expansion came out, and would send a packet to the server saying you opened a chest 100 times. The server would accept it and send back 100 chest rolls. They patched it in 1.09 and it will perma-ban you for trying now. This is the only information I could find on the internet (note--linked for historical purposes as all these were from the 1.09 days):

Fruit likes this.
  18. ziambe

Thanks for the complete table @Fruit. Looks like I will need to pick up a few more topazes to hit that 27872 breakpoint in normal :p

I completed my first round of rushees with no problem. Continuing on the trend of compiling 1.07 info (even if it is posted somewhere already), I will add my rushee observations. Here is what looks like is the bare minimum required for the whole party to progress together:

1.07 Rushee tips:
    1. One rushee must be near Andariel at kill
    2. One rushee must pop the chest and collect the ammy, staff and speak to drognan
    3. One rushee must talk to Tyrael, but does not need to be present for Duriel kill
    4. All rushees have to talk to Jeryn after one rushee talks to Tyrael (Jeryn was playing a little hard to get; hiding at the front door of the palace just close enough so I could talk to him but his guards would not let me in)
    5. One rushee must near Mephisto at kill
    6. All rushees must be near Diablo kill (I didn't test whether all or only one party member need to be there because of how long it takes to clear CS)
    7. One rushee must be in Worldstone Chamber at Baal kill

In all cases, the rushee can be dead and collect quest credit :)

Very important note: When I was in Normal and Nightmare I did the Hellforge. I had only one rushee in the River of Flame and smash the soulstone and I got huge pile of gems (à la cheese extraordinaire!) which appeared to be 7 hellforge drops at once - but only 1 rune! So in hell difficulty I made 7 separate games and each rushee got a rune
    ranged from Sol to Pul

For some of the more useful quests:

1. All rushees must be near Izual at kill (also didn't test this but since Plains of Despair is no place for a level 6, I didn't want to have to make 6 more games)
    2. One rushee must pop Lam Emsen's Tome
    3. One rushee must be near Radament at kill
    3. Each rushee seems to need their own game to complete Den of Evil and the Golden Bird

With this complete, I have begun the joyous task of cow slaughtering. And thanks to your info @Fruit, instead of using my prized javelin craft, I am getting the job done (miraculously well I would also say) using one I racked a while back in LK:

Maiden's Javelin of Amplify Damage...

But I have a non-ctc on switch and I think it is only 5-10% slower. With the power of CB and LF, it could probably be done with a cracked javelin... :D :D I mean, I didn't even put on an amulet until level 82! But thanks for the info @Fruit about +%ED so I don't look for it on crafts.

@all So what would be the best mods for cow javelins then? +Min/Max damage and 40% IAS? What about knockback?

I am noticing that the cows do drop above TC 33 fairly often. At least I am noticing a lot of Russet Armors and the occasional Battle Boots. One unique cow even dropped a (blue :() shako! This prompted me to quickly check the TC list for 1.09 on wiki, but the wiki website was down. Also is there any info that the TCs are the same in 1.07 thru 1.09? I would guess there would be some differences.

Edit: Diablowiki is back up (it must have been a temporary outage) - this is the TC listing I am referring to. Is it somewhat reliable for 1.07 as well?

After around maybe 25 runs I have gotten only 1 unique, but it was a Valk Wing so that was a great gift from a random bovine...Although they quickly seemed to exact payment for it by teaching me the very painful 'cow-jitsu' art of (what appear to be tiny de-synch in MP games) teleport slashes to the face . So I have recognized the importance of always moving. And I have learned to get Moo Moo Farm cleaned up before night hits because it is a scary place.

@pharphis I think everyone needs to run a couple hours of 1.07 cows to truly appreciate your zod drop!! To say they are stingy is an understatement!

Now at level 83, I have tried a few council runs but I am way too undergeared for it. And I think the Heirophants can cast invisible spells because my corpse has been exploding with no enemies nearby...

@GalaXyHaXz Just to confirm about quest drops, the mechanics may have been modified in 1.07 but every patch has them except 1.09, right?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Fruit likes this.
  19. Fruit

hilarious. :D "unhackable", was it? :p

Hehe. :D Yeah, good luck on that 27872.

Many moons ago I made a complete list of unique items, listing the qlvl of the item base, as well as the Qlvl of the unique. I never shared it because I wanted to check the spelling first. (The list was generated from armor.txt, weapons.txt and uniqueitems.txt, which all may have errors. The names you see in-game are actually defined in the language files). I never finished checking the spellings, so there may be typos, and even incorrect names.
    • Anyway, here is that list (google excel sheet). The darker rows indicate the start of a new tier: The Grandfather and the items below it must be racked, then Baranar's Star and below must be found on Hell (or racked), then Demon Machine must be found on Nightmare (or on Hell, or racked), and Islestrike can be found on Normal (or above, or racked). Hopefully that's clear enough. :D rlvl = required clvl to wear the item. The fact that some names are grey can be ignored, it just means that the name in the .txt files had an error. Some item bases of course can not be racked at all, but this list doesn't go into that.
    • Edit: The main reason I bothered to tier up the list like this was to see which items must be racked, which items are unobtainable, and which items can be dropped by bosses. Item bases of qlvl39 and below can be dropped by bosses, so you can use the list to see whether or not it's worth it for you to farm bosses at all. Perhaps for jewelry? :)
    • (I can't remember why I darkened the row for Bul Katho's Wedding Band. I assume that was just to visually separate Rings from Amulets.)
    And in case you're interested, I also have a table listing the maximum number of sockets for every item. See here. There are differences between 1.07 and other patches, so perhaps the reference comes in handy some time. Hopefully the sheet is clear enough.

I do believe there was a full 1.07 qlvl/TC list posted at some point, but who knows where. The lists I use myself are not formatted for human eyes, so they are very tedious to read (I just took armor.txt and weapons.txt and cut them up into tiered parts).
    • The qlvls/TCs did change somewhat, so I wouldn't blindly rely on 1.09 info. For example a Colossus Sword in 1.07 is qlvl 72, while it is qlvl 80 in 1.09.
    • Cows (Hell) can drop up to TC66, and up to Zod. (They drop more or less like late Act 4 monsters or Act 5 monsters.)

Firstly, all of your rush-points are actually true for all patches.
    • And FYI, in all patches it is only necessary for one character to complete a quest. All partied members will co-complete it, as long as they are in the act of the quest. So for Izual and Diablo for example, only one rushee has to be there, while the rest can chill in town.
    • Specifically for Den of Evil, one rushee must kill 1 monster, and it doesn't matter which one (first, last, whatever). So you can Static any monster with the rusher, finish him off with a rushee, and then the rushee can actually exit the Den completely while the rusher cleans up the place. Like any other quest, partied members in Act 1 will co-complete it.
    • Also know that (in 1.00-1.09) you can use the Horadric Staff, Khalim's Will and Wirt's Leg on other difficulties. So if you plan to do a full rush for three or more characters, you can make 3 staves and 3 flails on Normal, and use the remaining two on Nightmare and Hell. Or you can cube 7 of each quest item, and pass the excess over to a new batch. :p Before using the Staff or Flail, leave the party to prevent other characters from completing the quest, and they will get to keep their quest item.
    • I can't remember how the Jade Figurine works/drops in 1.07, but I do know that it will be co-completed by partied members like any other quest, so you only have to do it once for an entire party.
    • Lastly, up to at least 1.07, the rushee can stand anywhere in Catacombs Level 4, Durance of Hate Level 3 or Worldstone Chamber and still complete the quest. This makes little difference for Softcore I suppose, but on Hardcore this makes these quests a lot safer. For the other "kill quests" however, like Izual, Diablo and Radament, the rushee must be close enough to complete the quest (about 2 screens or something).

That all out of the way, that Amplify Damage javelin is not a bad idea at all. :D (Assuming it works with thrown weapons?)
    • Oh, and just FYI, physical +Damage on javelins also does not increase throwing damage. Not sure about +Elemental Damage (if that can spawn at all on javelins?).
    • I can't remember if Knockback can spawn on javelins, but Knockback does work with thrown weapons, and it works crazy well with Lightning Fury. I think Slows Target also works, because I remember using Cleglaw's Pincers at some point. But it's been a while since I've played 1.07, so I might not be remembering correctly. :)
    • The +Elemental Damage from Tiamat's Rebube does work with throwing weapons. (Perhaps that the +10-20 physical damage also works?)

As for @pharphis his Zod, I'm more curious to what he's going to end up doing with it.
    He might even be(come) the only person on the planet with a legitimately Zod-bugged item? :eek:

Sorry if my post was an annoying read, I still struggle to format them so that they read nicely. :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    ArtOfSenf, Shuffleblast and Albatross like this.
  20. pharphis

It's e-dust guys, cmon.

Also you can get um from forge in 1.07, (same as 1.09 I think?) and this applies to nm AND hell, so in both difficulties you should do the quests individually