Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MF Dilemma

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Boulos, May 9, 2005.

1. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

MF Dilemma

I have a level 84 Meterob Sorc. I can run NM Baal and Meph really easily even at P8. The thing I don't do well is run Hell Meph or Baal...even at P1. I just die too easily.

Do you think I should just run the boys in NM? Or am I doing something wrong where I should be able to run the boys in Hell easier?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

A meteorb should be an effective hell meph runner and is one of the better baal runners. How about you post your skills and equipment, it shoudl make it easier to find the problem.

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I cant do hell baal either ;) at least not without dying or restarting every 4 out of 5 games, but for hell meph, you can use the moat trick. You tele to lvl 3, tele across to where meph is, then tele back across the river of blood, where meph will follow you, but get stuck behind the the river trying to reach you. If you stand far enough away from him, you can namelock him and just spam meteor.

If that made no sense, let me know and I will post a pic of me doing it ;)

4. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Also, post your merc's gear and if you have max block or not :) that will help us out alot.

5. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

@Skoolbus - I've always heard about the moat trick, but never really understood it. I never really tried too hard to figure it out either. :) So you get Meph to follow you across the moat, then you teleport back across and he gets stuck there cuz the bridge goes down? Now he's stuck near the portal and you can move out of range and just hammer him?

@FB - My gear is as follows:
    Peasant Crown
    Oculus
    "Stone" armor
    "Rhyme" shield
    IK Gloves, Boots, and Belt (I'm looking for better gloves, but no luck yet)
    Stone of Jordan
    Dwarf Star (I think)
    Amulet with +2 to Fire Skills

Meteor - 27
    Fire Mastery - 24
    Orb - 26
    Cold Mastery 17

I might be off by one or two on the skills...but I think I'm pretty close.

Oh, my merc has:

Upped Shaftstop
    Upped Kelpie
    Vampire Gaze helm

No max block here...maybe I should pump Dexterity to improve my blocking %.

6. skoolbus

Moat Trick

for this, you want your merc dead, he will just cause meph to shoot at him, hitting you in the process

Bow down before my mspaint skills!

7. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Very nice illustration...a picture really is worth a thousand words because that's not what I was thinking at all. Do you have to kill the Council members then? Because the area you are in is in their "attack zone" in the picture.

8. skoolbus

it depends on your map, on some, they spawn where you will never get hit, I've quit mfing in hell for a while so that map is crappy. I personally just let the hydras hit me rather than kill anything.

9. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Personally I wear the rising sun ammy so that I am constantly being healed by hydras and firewalls. I take out meph and all non cold immune council members with my blizz sorc on p3. no merc of course.

Cheers K

10. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Looks good. Now I just have to figure out how to get back to Hell Meph. I tried the other day and got killed pretty quickly by those stupid exploding Stygian Dolls (God I hate those things). I guess I'll just have to get a good map to run him.

11. Alien

Alien IncGamers Member

I find it a lot better to do the moat trick on the left side of the middle path, not the right. The trick is to tp from where you enter lvl 3 directy up into the upper room where the council is, then up a bit agian, over the middle where the portal is, and over to meph. Once meph has your attention, tele over to the lower area of the map to the left of the portal middle area. Here's a picture.

Ph33r paint.

Also, it's very handy to have max lightning resistances, because often times it has been Meph's lightning attacks that kill me instead of his cold orb, especially if you try to tank him and he sends out those charged bolts, where potentially if you're close to him more than one bolt can hit you. Bottom line, max res and block or good merc gear (read: slow and CB if you can, leech doesn't help vs bosses) or just do the moat trick.

12. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I run Hell Meph on P1. My merc is a defiance merc wearing basically the same gear as yours, with the exception that the shaft and kelpie are not upped.

I use static field to bring meph down to half his life. Then I use firewall to finish him. In the event he gets lucky and leaves my merc's life down to a low yellow or red, I give my merc a full rejuv; one will usually last until meph croaks.

If meph takes too long to die, maybe a wand with lower resist charges on weapon switch can help kill him faster.